• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Better way to utilize Gold

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I always found myself having a surplus of gold that I would often spend to grind through Trophy Rush or just to buy trophies.

Is there another way to better utilize Gold? Perhaps Gold usage isn’t only limited to Trophies but others such as Gear or Customs if they are set to make a second appearance? Or perhaps it could be used to unlock characters or stages? What do you want to see Gold used for aside from using to purchase trophies?

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
alternative unlocking options for stages and/or characters seem top billing.

As long as they don't make it murderously grindy like MvC2 did.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
It would've been so nice if I could buy the custom moves with the gold.

Nowadays, there's really no point in having a currency system in a fighting game unless you plan on making the DLC buyable with it...
And I seriously doubt Nintendo's gonna do that.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I feel like you should be able to buy anything unlockable with gold...
I never ever use it for anything so that would be a good option for people who want to get something specific

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I like the idea of buying gear and customs (i love this aspect of Smash 4), buying alternate costumes would be cool too, maybe giving you the option to “break challenges” that are too hard for some people instead of having limited golden hammer, that is, for a good but not impossible gold quantity.
Characters and Stages i’d rather unlock them.

Last edited:

AIM0001

Smash Lord
I wish Smash would do something like Overwatch and let you purchase Alt costumes, voice lines, taunts, winning outros etc. The fact Nintendo hasn’t thought of this already is kinda baffling.

But yes, buying stages and characters you want would be ideal. Also I’d like to add buying music to that list too. Getting CD drops during matches are fun and should still be there but I’d also like to buy songs too. Even if you make them semi expensive. I’d like to have that option.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I wish Smash would do something like Overwatch and let you purchase Alt costumes, voice lines, taunts, winning outros etc. The fact Nintendo hasn’t thought of this already is kinda baffling.
Came in to say this especially. I dunno about voice lines, but taunts, maybe victory animations and especially alternate costumes would seem like a perfect way to get us to spend all that gold, though I doubt they're ever gonna put this in. They're certainly putting in some great options this time but I have a feeling the alternate costumes are still gonna be pretty minimal. Please prove me wrong, Sakurai.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Gold should probably be used for purchasing custom parts as well. It would surely help when trying to acquire all the custom special moves and/or Mii outfits.

However, this would be a missed opportunity if character customizations get a massive downgrade.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
Coins for getting new fighters and stages in addition to Mii costumes. I thought the same could have been applied to Mario Kart for more Mii customization, but that's another story.

Top Bottom