• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best ways to improve overall performance?

DessertFox599

Smash Rookie
Hey guys I'm new here. I recently aquite a copy of melee and want to improve my performance. I have been playing various Ssb games all my life and am ok at them. I'm not really a main type of player as I like to switch between the characters a lot. But just overall tips on how to create combos, outflank opponents, and just improve my play.

Quan

Smash Rookie
Short answer is practice! This game is 75% muscle memory.

Know the knock-back of your character's moves for creating combos. Know the spacing of your moves and other character's moves. Learn to dash dance effectively. If someone is coming at you with an aerial or a laggy approach, dash dance away and in to punish.

JT_KiNGLY

Smash Rookie
I've been playing smash most of my life and I've only been investing into competitive play the last four years with Smash 4, and I'm still learning and improving. My simple advice is to have patience, your gameplay will improve with time and focus.

I realize this is melee but the same essential fundamentals apply.

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
I think a good way to progress is to follow this general path.

1. Pick a character.
2. On the character forums, read about the character in particular and learn how to use them.
3. Begin practicing all basic moves. You want to be able to perform any move on command at any point in time.
4. Begin to practice one or two tech skills as you sharpen your basic skills. I started with L-cancelling and short hopping which are probably the most important tech skills in the game.
5. Watch tourney vids with pros using your character. This will give you ideas for combos and teach you how to use your character.
6. Practice every day for at least 30 minutes. You want to get that muscle memory going. CPU matches arent the best, but you should be able to use them to get technically better.
7. Start going to tournaments and/or find people you can practice with. Money match people if you have to. I think this is how KDJ got good. He just kept money matching people and kept losing, but eventually it gave him the experience he needed to succeed.
7. Repeat the process with other characters so that you don't get bored.

Good Luck!

Top Bottom