• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best way to train with YL?

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
So I'm starting to get back into Melee again and I want to know the best way to go about training with YL. Labbing, playing against others to understand the neutral game, learning tech?

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
Well you have to learn all of those things. More importantly chandy and a bunch of young link players are currently trying to develop young links egdeguard game against spacies. Once we now what works you can start training with a clear goal in mind.

Mitchell Woodland

Smash Rookie
I think the most important thing to being a good link is using projectiles in order to hit your opponent with thing other than projectiles. No likes a spammer but you have every right to keep using your projectiles until you make an opening, then once you learn a little about that next is learning the time of shffl nairs and back air combos and shield pressure. I say projectiles first because approaching raw with young link is tough so learn to approach with projectile that lead into nairs and back airs or tilts. well spaced tilts are really handy. and if youre a flashy player learn some bomb swag. double bomb down air you can throw youre bomb in any direction and catch it. learning about boomerang is really tough, any young link knows the struggle of catching the boomerang mid combo and havin the combo or edgeguard ruined by this wonderful projectile. If you dont know there is ways of avoiding the boomerang catching animation. like catching it mid attack or mid dash (running does not cancel animation). If i throw a boomerang on shield i dash forward to catch the boomerang and throw again it can be quite quick and they are likely to jump the second time which can be read or reacted to by aiming boomerang upwards. then once you are good at putting on damage learn to edgeguard or get downsmashes/downairs cause kills are hard. ummmmmmm thats about it off the top of my head

Happens2u

Writing Team
If you have 20xx try out some projectile setups that combo into dair on floaties, such as boomerang-dair and bomb-dair. Make sure you know bomb-dair well. YL I think is a character you need to play against others to get good with, so make sure to be paying attention during friendlies.

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
As a general note, just get acquainted with all of his moves and how they work And act. Also general movement is something to always practice.

Top Bottom