• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best way to take on a Fox?

Fyrefox

Smash Cadet
Hello!

I've been maining Mario since 2014 now, and my brother has been maining a variety of characters, most notably Fox.

I have wavedashing and L-Canceling down pretty fluidly, but I still seem to get my ass whooped. My brother's Fox is sloppy as I've ever seen one, and he still manages to make it look easy! In the rare occasion that I beat him, I'll get him down to a stock or two before finally being defeated...what I noticed is that he enjoys using the same, generic combos with Fox, and I try to tell myself, studying him "okay, be let's try to avoid this" but I still fall in the same trap every time and take heaps of damage, I'm lucky if I don't get KO'd! I tend to fall into the same gimmicks and attacks that he defeats me with every single game. I've tried to train myself to learn the Fox MU, and practice with a level 3 Fox CPU to see what all is possible, but it feels like every time I go to face him he just beats me, easily.

What's the best way to take on a Fox?

meticulousboy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gradius_16
3DS FC
1005-8934-0229
Time your Side B correctly, and you may find that Fox will never make it back when he does Fire Fox. This feels so good when pulled off.

Fyrefox

Smash Cadet
Time your Side B correctly, and you may find that Fox will never make it back when he does Fire Fox. This feels so good when pulled off.
That is actually something I have down fairly well...it's like everything else with Fox that gives me difficulty, especially being shined off the stage at an incredibly low percent.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
don't get hit. this is fox who can kill you at zero easily. make the most of your mobility to outmaneuver fox and get grabs by means of conditioning, reads, whatever. be careful against shielding foxes, shine OoS is godlike and his other options aren't shabby either. CC down smash is okay against Fox too. recovering high is generally safer than low.

i don't know much about this MU though, most of this is based from the little experience i have against Doc.

Last edited:

meticulousboy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gradius_16
3DS FC
1005-8934-0229
The other thing I can think of is to bait out Reflector with Fireball spam and Cape it back.

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
I haven't played the matchup, but I play a lot of low tiers so I can give you two general tips:

1.) (Virtually) everyone has a combo game on fox.
2.) Fox is extremely scary in neutral, especially if you give him space; it's always better to end neutral quickly against him rather than to keep your distance unless you're playing someone like Marth who actually has some defense against his apporoaches.

j3ly

Smash Champion
There is so much to say. Essentially it boils down to:

Don't execute anything unsafe
Take every launcher as far as it can go
It's seriously touch-and-go until knockdown percents
Uthrow -> WD fsmash 60% - 90%
Dthow -> dsmash 60% onwards
WD in jab -> grab
UpB out of shield
Dash attack your only 0% knock down
WD in utilt approach
WD in ftilt @ knockdown and above
WD back fsmash

Your utilt beats out his nair due to the crazy disjoint, but is fully punishable on reaction so be careful.

You have good on-reaction tech chasing options on platforms, with uthrows, utilts and fsmash.
To set them up, soon as you knock fox onto a platform it's your job to join him on that platform asap. That's always the best option. Quickest way around platforms is usually dash short hop -> DJ -> perfect/imperfect waveland.

Distance wise, I like to be approx 1 falco laser distance away from both spacies.

Good luck.

Top Bottom