• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Way to Punish Broken Shield?

KCBunne

Smash Rookie
Simple question, what is the best way to punish a broken shield with Lucina? Low percent, high percent, etc.

Thanks

Phatty

Smash Cadet
At low percents, you can either try to do a combo or try to use shield breaker on the opponent's head. From 0~30% you can combo full hop falling Uair to Utilt to Uair for ~36% damage. The full hop on the first Uair gets you a little more damage but it also makes the combo timing a bit tighter. Also, try to do the first Uair as close to the ground as you can so you can Utilt sooner. On certain characters that combo easily you can get two Utilts in but that's pretty rare and it only works under 10%. The only character I can think of off the top of my head that you can do that with is K.K. Rool. The second combo you can do is falling Uair to Nair to Fair which deals ~35%. The last one is a bit tricky. You dash at your opponent, do a point blank Nair, FF and repeat. You can chain up to three Nairs like this and maybe sneak in a Fair. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EpVS20Z8HA This video demonstrates it pretty well at 2:50.

After 30% you can really only get falling Uair to Uair so it's better to go for a fully charged shield breaker. If you go for a fully charged shield breaker, try and angle it up to hit the opponent's head. In this game hitting an opponent's head with SB gives you a 1.15 damage increase. For Lucina, a fresh fully charged shield breaker deals 31.74%. For Marth, a fresh, tippered SB on an opponent's head deals 33.12%. This deals even more damage than a fully charged Fsmash and it doesn't take as long either. I'm pretty sure it kills earlier than Fsmash as well but I could be wrong about that. If you're not confident that you will land the combos I mentioned earlier, if you're nervous, or if you just want the easy damage then SB is a good choice. Also, when you're aiming for your opponent's head make sure you take the specific character into account. Some characters are so short, like Ness for instance, that even if you don't angle it up it will still hit their head. Others have kind of small heads and getting the spacing right is difficult. It's definitely something you should experiment with in training mode.

Finally, Marcina has a sneaky kill combo that they kept from Smash4. It only works at the ledge though. Sh falling Uair combos into Dair spike at ~45% or so. It's pretty dependent on fall speed so a floaty character might die as early as 35 or so. Also, for Marth, you do NOT want the Uair to tipper. It true combos if you do it right as well. Nair1 also combos into Dair but not until like 110 or 120 and at those percents, it's really not worth it.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
It does not work on "head" characters.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I take it that includes Pac-Man? I mean, he actually has limbs at least.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Not sure. I have researched them all. Doing the exact same knockback, not working on shields, and the bonus being super inconsistent (even directly on a humanoid character's head) – I don't care about this mechanic.

Top Bottom