• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best way to practice...?

°Shy°

Smash Rookie
I think my punish game/combos are kind of weak...whats the best way to practice getting a single hit and following up? I usually play 20xx 4.06 against lvl 9 comps and 4.05xx for all star since my 4.06 crashes a lot on all star...I know im supposed to play against lvl 1 comps for this sort of thing but should i play regular melee, or a 20xx version?

Skwrl

Smash Cadet
I use a lot of 20XX TE with the lvl 1 CPUs. Sometimes I will load up 4.05, but often its just TE.

_Ne0N_

Smash Cadet
playing against cpus can help you with follow ups and understanding when and where you need to use a move, but if you want to get the best out of your combo game, and especially punish game, you'd want to play against real people, such as at a local tourney since they can mix you up with stuff like DI, which you'd want to practice following up with if you want your combo game to excel. punish game is also important to practice against real people since you can learn how to react and/or read how people decide options during games and see how you can punish it.

__Maza__

Smash Rookie
playing against cpus can help you with follow ups and understanding when and where you need to use a move, but if you want to get the best out of your combo game, and especially punish game, you'd want to play against real people, such as at a local tourney since they can mix you up with stuff like DI, which you'd want to practice following up with if you want your combo game to excel. punish game is also important to practice against real people since you can learn how to react and/or read how people decide options during games and see how you can punish it.
20XX CPUs are better than actual players at true random DI and teching. The only thing players are better at really is understanding survival DI vs combo DI, and how to DI to get out of chaingrabs. But if you're just comboing someone across the stage, 20XX computers are better imo because the DI/teching is random, you have to learn to react instead of relying on your opponent having habits.

Top Bottom