• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best way to practice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaiboiii

Smash Cadet
What would you say is the best way to practice?
Play online? Or play a few CPU matches with the character?

xExcel

Smash Apprentice
What are you practicing for? To beat other players? Then go online.

If you're practicing to beat the CPU for whatever reason then practice against a CPU..

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
If you do not know your character's move set such as what is safe and what can kill, training mode while playing with % damage. If you want, play with low level CPU's to get a feel for where your attacks go when they connect on a moving opponent.

If you do know your character:

Play in person or online against someone you can immediately contact so you can get feedback. Plenty of people on here are willing to have matches. Try the sparring thread and emphasize that you want feedback and if you are confident/not confident in your character.

Knowing how to correct yourself without feedback is possible. Don't sweat it though as this is very hard to do with any competitive game.

deech

Smash Cadet
General AT/combo practice on training or L9 CPU.
General sparring/mind-games/reading practice online or with people.

Rubiks Dan

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2208-5803-5426
CPUs at first. Level 9s are limited in their strategy. They'll repeat the same thing and after a certain point, you won't learn anything. Once you can accurately predict their moves and punish them, move to online matches.

AngeloHollow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2535-4585-8889
First, learn your attacks, so play against computer opponents first. They are not the best form of practice, but you need to start somewhere at an unfrustrating pace.

When you kinda know how to use your character, play against friends locally (if you're able). Ask them for feedback. If you don't have any local friends, then do as Roukiske said and ask somebody here to help you train. I'm sure that lots of people are more than willing to help you get better.

Kaiboiii

Smash Cadet
Alright thanks for the help guys!

I'm just trying to learn other chars than Little Mac as someone told me at a convention that he's OP on For Glory 1v1's.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
When trying to learn how to use a character, I do the following in order:

1. Practice learning their moves in training
2. Fight against CPU(s) starting at about level 5 (and after each round I raise the level)
3. Fight against people in For Fun (don't have to worry that much about winning/losing)
4. Fight against people in For Glory

If I do bad on steps 2-4, I go back to training.

Last edited:

AuraBreak

Smash Apprentice
I'd recommend having a long session with someone in real life if you have a friend that is /around/ you skill level. Makes it easier to communicate obviously.

Jasku

Smash Apprentice
You shoud do this: go to training mode and learn everything about your attacks (how much damage does it deal, how far are they sent, percentage to kill...). Once you know everything about your character, you can look for a tutor or someone to train online. Look for people in this forum, we always want to fight. Learn all advanced techniques, and when you think you're ready, go to For Glory to test your skills. There you'll learn how people move and interact with you, and the different types of ''playing'' that a character can have. Now, the most important part: LOOSE. Loose, and loose, many and many times. Not because you just suicide or let the other player kill you, but because you try your best and LOOSE, and after that, try to learn about your errors, correct yourself and turn yourself into a better player after every match.

It's important to warm up before you go to For Glory. I recommend you playing against a lvl 9 RANDOM character 3 times. After you finish those 3 matches, you'll be ready to give your best Online. Now if you need a tutor or someone to teach you something, ask anyone, I'm sure they'll want to help you. I offer myself as a volunteer to help you out in anything you need. If you don't actually need help, and just want to train, I can also train with you ;) For better results training with regular players, use Skype to talk.

Well that's my basic guide of how to train and become a master :D

xExcel

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, there's no better way to practice than playing a match against someone online. Almost everyone else in this thread is giving you tips on how to learn characters, not how to practice. If you already know how a character works you won't get much better playing CPU. Playing with friends may help but try not to restrict yourself to playing just one or two people.

In FG u'll come up against roll spammers, combo players, projectile spammers, rushdowns, heavies, people who know how to abuse the ending lag of their attacks, people who are great in the air, people who will abuse you on the ground, there are so many different tactics and playstyles online that I honestly don't see any better way to practice than just grabbing a character and playing people online.

deech

Smash Cadet
Another thing: don't stick to one different type of play-style.

Mix it up. Play different characters sometimes. Learn the advantages and weaknesses of each, where to attack from, how much distance to keep on each, etc.

People don't like it if you stick to one type of poke-attack into kill play style. It's not very fun, and it doesn't help you improve either, since better people will just read your repetitive moves and punish that.

D

Deleted member 269706

Here's my advice:
  1. Find a character you like, get used to them in offline practice. (This includes playing CPUs, people on friends list, going into training mode, etc.).
  2. Keep practicing with that character until you really feel comfortable, and understand the primary uses for most (if not all) of their moves.
  3. Go online, play a bit, figure out what your weaknesses are. (You're gonna need to lose a decent amount of battles before you figure this out).
  4. Save replays of things you did well, and things you need work on. Watching yourself is vital.
  5. Go into training mode, and figure practice what needs to be practiced.
  6. Spend a generous amount of time practicing combos, aerial attacks, spiking, smash attack timing, etc. at various %s on your opponents.
  7. ??? Repeat steps 3-7 indefinitely.
  8. Profit. Also utilize the replay channel (or whatever it's called online) and watch people who are using the same character(s) as you. YouTube, Twitch, and other videos also help with this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864
I've heard CPU's automatically air-dodge spam once they're sent into the air, instead of vectoring/DI'ing like a real person would. So I'd avoid fighting CPU's. Your best bet would be to practice your favorite characters strings, and find out all the ways you can KO your opponent, while practicing online. Once you get that down you can improve immensely by simply watching videos of good players.

GeneticConsole

Smash Rookie
NNID
galaxygazer08
3DS FC
5241-2420-5912
Switch FC
SW 5887 1776 0912
What are you practicing for? To beat other players? Then go online.

If you're practicing to beat the CPU for whatever reason then practice against a CPU..
I know this is late, but I now HATE practicing on For glory. It's filled with a bunch of jerks who use only the best combos from the best characters. Just today I came across a Cloud who after 2 matches started switching to the player I used the last round, and continuesly beat me. I didn't want to leave because I knew he would make fun of me and I honestly cried for like 10 minutes and had a tantrum for the next 30. I'm honestly done with people in general online. And if you're wondering why I cried, it's for deeper reasons. But yah, a lot of people I meet on For Glory are the uttermost jerks so I never want to go there again.

GeneticConsole

Smash Rookie
NNID
galaxygazer08
3DS FC
5241-2420-5912
Switch FC
SW 5887 1776 0912
Honestly, there's no better way to practice than playing a match against someone online. Almost everyone else in this thread is giving you tips on how to learn characters, not how to practice. If you already know how a character works you won't get much better playing CPU. Playing with friends may help but try not to restrict yourself to playing just one or two people.

In FG u'll come up against roll spammers, combo players, projectile spammers, rushdowns, heavies, people who know how to abuse the ending lag of their attacks, people who are great in the air, people who will abuse you on the ground, there are so many different tactics and playstyles online that I honestly don't see any better way to practice than just grabbing a character and playing people online.
Like Bayonetta's using the same unbeatable combos over and over again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom