• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best way to improve after locals?

soobly

Smash Rookie
Recently I had started going to locals and playing alright just dropping both games within 1 stock. However, I want to improve my play besides the fact of more practice. Is it better to focus on what I lack in a match up or fight against that said character I am struggling with. Online doesn't help much either because some players play just for GSP yet I found arenas to benefit me a bit. What would be the best advice to improve from a 1-2 record at my locals to a top 8 run?

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I find making arenas and titling them with words like "(your region) Competitive" and setting stages to "Choice" helps. Then usually people will join to actually practice. Combine that with analyzing pros playing your character and learning to insert what they do into your gameplay, and it should help.

Last edited:

PURGE THEM LIKE THE

Smash Apprentice
You could also get people at your local to add you on the switch and do arena fights each week. You'll probably make some good friends if it works out, too.

Dr. Edgeworth

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-6422-2780-9325
Anther's ladder is your best friend if you want to play seriously to improve outside of a tournament setting.

Up0n

Smash Cadet
Watch the best players for your main; play online regardless of people just wanting GSP (you should too but for the improving aspect); find a local smash partner and play online with him/her in person or friend arena. I have a partner I play with at least an hour a day online and if in person we'll go for like 3-4hours straight.

Muggy_ssb

Smash Rookie
Add peoples facebooks, twitter, discord etc and play with them more if there alot better or slightly better. Depending on the tournament you can also check if people post stuff on youtube after locals and watch how they play and and you can know more just little tips.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
You can try watching video resources online. Like Izaw's Art of Smash Ultimate series, the Exploring Fighting Games series by novriltataki, Core-A Gaming videos, etc. There are a lot of resources out there about mindsets and different strategies. Find what works for you and add it your gameplan. If you are struggling to find videos that can help you, I can link you my FGC doc that has a lot of info on it.

soobly

Smash Rookie
Update: started making friends in my scene in STL. I've done better in bracket improving to 2-2 most tournaments, definitely different playing Cloud in Ultimate rather than Sm4sh. I still love him but he just isn't as dishonest and I need to improve on how to play him now rather than the Sm4sh Cloud I remember.

soobly

Smash Rookie
You can try watching video resources online. Like Izaw's Art of Smash Ultimate series, the Exploring Fighting Games series by novriltataki, Core-A Gaming videos, etc. There are a lot of resources out there about mindsets and different strategies. Find what works for you and add it your gameplan. If you are struggling to find videos that can help you, I can link you my FGC doc that has a lot of info on it.
This would for sure help as the Cloud sub thread on here is very barren and it's sad.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Aight, lemme try to chime in:

Online play should help with the basic stuff. Stuff like addressing your basic mentality on how to play the game, your mechanics on a base level, and that kind of jazz.

If you want to make it from a 1-2 sort of dude to a top 8 sort of dude, you need more offline play specifically. Online play helps you to a point, but it promotes bad habits due to lag and it has a warped meta as far as what everyone plays and how due to that said lag. If you want an accurate representation of what Smash is like, and what you truly need to do to improve, you can ONLY get that at local events, whether they be casuals or weeklies or monthlies or whatever.

If you need to play online though...which, from what I gather, you do, you should utilize small to medium sized arenas to your advantage. Anything that's 2 to 4 people total. I guess there's Anther's ladder but I personally don't bother with that.

Edit: Also, Smash related content on YT is a big help.

Last edited:
Top Bottom