• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best way to deal with CC? (especially Luigi)

Platurt

Smash Rookie
So I've been playing some Pichu lately and he feels fine to me, not trying to deny that the little rat has problems, but every time I got destroyed it felt right, since I made a bad decision or missed an input and therefore rightfully lost.

That was util I played a friends Luigi. He is more of a CF/Falco main and I can handle both of them, but I just can't get past his cc -> wd -> dsmash. Sometimes when he goes into the offense I can read it and get a nair, a grab or even a uair into nair out of it. And while I'm sure not good enough to use every option Pichu has, I don't seem to find any good mixups vs Luigi.

Nair get's really often CC'd and punished. Uair can hit him out of it iirc but I have to be really low for that, so I only use it when he is going full CC on me.

Approaching on the ground isn't that easy too due to the range he covers with his wd -> dsmash and the only offensive grounded attack I rly use to approach is grab, which woudn't be that big of a problem, but I seem to get no followup on him at all on none of my throws... Which makes it pretty safe for him to use his shield every time I come close, and even harder for me to take the stock or rack up damage.

Not even the simple fact of having him above you (due to upthrow or uair) seems to give me some kind of advantage, cause at least I personally can't get past his dair when he's above, taking away the option to juggle him that well. All I can do against him is fishing for quick nair punishes when he approaches and sometimes go for a bthrow offstage and then gimp him or jump over his dsmash for a uair -> nair. When he get's predictable or sloppy I can get in an upsmash but that's pretty rare... It feels like a really bad mu to me, much worse than against some of the top tiers tbh, but that's maybe just me having played again no rly good player.

So is there any option I missed? Anything that should work out better for me and it's just my execution that makes it fail? Or any other advice to deal with Luigi or CC in general, cause that seems to be my main problem vs him and if that 60-40 luigi makes me those problems with it, I don't even want to imagine what fighting the 100-0 IC MU will feel like... (I'm aware that bad MU are common as Pichu, I just hope there's something to make this one and other with probably similar problems, I guess IC and Peach?, a bit easier.)

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
some would argue that that MU is much worse than you stated, including myself.

you have the right idea. you can also throw out some jolts occasionally to help mix up stuff in general thpugh you still can't deal with stuff until ~30% where up air is still a really meh option. you could do an option select and pull back with an air dodge to bqjt stuff. maybe overshoot nair if luigi is still sliding since you might get out of his range and we're only around -9 frame disadvantage or something like that. a super next level thing to do would be overshoot nair and hit them while you're in front of them but land behind them. more frame disadvantage but it wouldn't be punished with anything too bad if you can land far enough away. most of this stuff is theorycrafting though.

oh and bair might be able to outspace some stuff.

Last edited:

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
Thing about luigi,s cc game is if You cross him up You always end up in front of him. You have 3 approach options sh pull back punish his whiff, empty sh grab/up smash and super super low nair buffer spot dodge.

Ics aren't as hard cause of a slower d smash, weight, range and they can sometimes be crossed up. There's more room for error.

Samus is the 2nd hardest cc for pichu but least her d smash doesn't hurt as much as the auto combo to 70% and it's easier to juggle punish her (luigi,s nair is scary)

I still think luigi is the worst match-up pichu has but I'm super bias

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
luigi is rough. i only got to play decent luigi within the last week, and it's...yeah. approaching down tilts are probably good until he starts wavedashing in with f tilt. then it's just pichu and luigi bullying each other for stage control.

Top Bottom