• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best way to avoid shield grabbing?

brg

Smash Ace
Theres this friend of mine who plays doc and shieldgrabs me very often when I try to nair him (while he is on the ground)

I still havent tried it, but I though wavelanding + grab a good idea

Any other tactics to avoid being shield grabbed?

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
I assume you're lcanceling your nair. Make sure you hit the bottom of his shield if you are going to attack it but...if he has his shield up, why nair?

freddybones

Smash Journeyman
Try dropping a bomb before the attack. If you get it right the bomb will hit when he tries to grab or he'll be forced to keep his sheild up to avoid being hit.

brg

Smash Ace
I assume you're lcanceling your nair. Make sure you hit the bottom of his shield if you are going to attack it but...if he has his shield up, why nair?
i am currently practicing l cancelling and i think i have the following problem : the timing to press L changes when you actually HIT your opponent. Is this correct?

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
Yes, you have to account for the hit lag frames. Just keep practicing and you'll get used to it. Practice l canceling so you can get it regardless of where you hit your opponent or whether you hit or miss.

brg

Smash Ace
Yes, you have to account for the hit lag frames. Just keep practicing and you'll get used to it. Practice l canceling so you can get it regardless of where you hit your opponent or whether you hit or miss.
workin on it

technically, if I lcancel my nair correctly and then neutral a will it prevent doc (or anyone) from shield grabbing me? or can he grab me as soon as I hit his shield (while im still in the air)

Watty

Smash Lord
to practice l canceling on opponents shields go into multiplayer mode and turn on stars, when ur opponent gets hit with the star and u attack the star creates the lag like a shield so u will be able to practice and get a feel of that.

besides that the doc thing they will do that lol try to trick them with ur 2nd jump like jump into them u see them shield and u double jump fast fall sex kick, or u can juss use ur f-tilt because doc has little arms so use ur long *** leg to create distance.

brg

Smash Ace
to practice l canceling on opponents shields go into multiplayer mode and turn on stars, when ur opponent gets hit with the star and u attack the star creates the lag like a shield so u will be able to practice and get a feel of that.
stars? warp stars? Sorry i dont get it

Takumaru

Smash Lord
The stars that make you invulnerable. The ones that play the DUH DUHDUH DA DUH DUH DUHDUHDUH DUN DUN DUN DA DUNDUDNUDNUDN! music.

God_Voice

Smash Apprentice
A good way to avoid sheild grabbing after the nair is to position yourself so that the nair hits towards the back of him. If he shields you'll get pushed far enough behind him so that his sheild grab will be useless.

And if he tries to shield grab you while your behind him he'll miss and you can hit with a d-smash.

majoras.

Smash Journeyman
SPACING!!!!!!!!
THATS ALL THAT MATTERS IN THAT SITUATION!!!!
why you think you see the pros moving and moving all around the stage with no touching each other?
cause they are looking for an opening, space their moves and dont get hit!

SPACING FRIEND SPACING!

Corigames

Smash Hero
If you keep falling for the same mind-game, no matter how simple it is, the best idea is to adapt. Try something new. Like knowing the perfect tactic for not getting grab isn't going to work in EVERY situation. If you can't adapt within a match, let alone many, then you need to get to work on your creativity. Try going at him but not Nair-ing. When he goes to grab you, give him a fsmash to chew on, or something like that.

Plus, even if you do find a way to get around what is happening now, he may just come up with a counter for the new tactic easily. The best option is to have many options.

brg

Smash Ace
If you keep falling for the same mind-game, no matter how simple it is, the best idea is to adapt. Try something new. Like knowing the perfect tactic for not getting grab isn't going to work in EVERY situation. If you can't adapt within a match, let alone many, then you need to get to work on your creativity. Try going at him but not Nair-ing. When he goes to grab you, give him a fsmash to chew on, or something like that.

Plus, even if you do find a way to get around what is happening now, he may just come up with a counter for the new tactic easily. The best option is to have many options.
I understand what you mean.
The worst part is I feel stupid every time it happens because I expected it

Corigames

Smash Hero
Blarg, I know what ya mean. I try to dash attack some people, knowing they have full capability to shield grab, but don't see it coming until I get grabbed. But after the first time a round or set, I can remember to stay away from it.

Sensei Hanzo

Smash Cadet
Blarg, I know what ya mean. I try to dash attack some people, knowing they have full capability to shield grab, but don't see it coming until I get grabbed.
Yeah, this happens to me all the time. x_X
People I play with say that Samus doesn't have a very good approach and that I should just stay back, spam missiles, and wait for the opponent to come to me. Valid tactic? Maybe. It works sometimes. I'll get in a lucky hit or two when they mess up trying to powershield/dodge the missiles. The problem is that I don't know what to do when they approach, especially if it's Marth. His attacks have so much range they out-prioritize a lot of Samus's attacks. What's even more frustrating is that you can't even use that same shield grab tactic on them because Samus's grab is so slow. =/

brg

Smash Ace
I think samus is too slow to be played purely offensively

For now im working on my "camping near the edge" tactic
missiles + great crouch cancel only makes this tactic stronger

Sensei Hanzo

Smash Cadet
SWD could be useful, but just being able to do it isn't enough. I think that while there are times when it can be used, it's not practical in most situations. It's sort of the same with Samus's grab, except SWD is a whole lot harder to pull off. >_>

DARKMIKE

Smash Apprentice
The Super Wave Dashes Effectiveness Only Becomes An Advantage When You Can Do It On Command, And Like Sensei Said, Its Not Practical For Most Situations, Or Stages For That Matter. To Brg, If You Plan Using The Dash Attack, Try Doing It As Soon As You Touch His Sheild To Go Behind Him Or Try Running Through Him And Forward Smashing When He Tries To Grab You . As Far As N-air Shield Grabbing Heres A Few Tips, Try These After L-canceling N-air(note Some Of These Are Practical Some Arent But Try Them) Up-b, Roll Away, Run Away, Drop A Bomb. And About Spacing Thats Important But There Are Things You Can Do If Your Spacing Is Off(too Close For Instance) ILL TELL YOU LATER IF YOUR INTERESTED. Just My Two Cents.

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
The Super Wave Dashes Effectiveness Only Becomes An Advantage When You Can Do It On Command, And Like Sensei Said, Its Not Practical For Most Situations, Or Stages For That Matter. To Brg, If You Plan Using The Dash Attack, Try Doing It As Soon As You Touch His Sheild To Go Behind Him Or Try Running Through Him And Forward Smashing When He Tries To Grab You . As Far As N-air Shield Grabbing Heres A Few Tips, Try These After L-canceling N-air(note Some Of These Are Practical Some Arent But Try Them) Up-b, Roll Away, Run Away, Drop A Bomb. And About Spacing Thats Important But There Are Things You Can Do If Your Spacing Is Off(too Close For Instance) ILL TELL YOU LATER IF YOUR INTERESTED. Just My Two Cents.

Are all the words in that paragraph truly important enough to start in capitols?

Sensei Hanzo

Smash Cadet
I just found out another way to avoid being shield-grabbed...
:smash: Move :smash:
The whole point is that you're in lag while recovering from your move so you can't just move. Thus, the reason why shield grabbing is so effective. If it was that simple, then we wouldn't be posting here. >_>

Corigames

Smash Hero
Hey, all I was saying is that Samus isn't "slow" to say, because she has the ability to move and attack very fast.

I personally think that SWDing is flashy and has very little tournament use.

brg

Smash Ace
Hey, all I was saying is that Samus isn't "slow" to say, because she has the ability to move and attack very fast.

I personally think that SWDing is flashy and has very little tournament use.
not if your pseudonym is wes and you are black

3Years

Smash Lord
i would recommend missle cancel and chase it and 75% of the time they'll jump so u have to follow up with a nair and if they're shielding then u have to follow with a grab(reminder dont jump cancel your grab) and if they power shield u better jump or shield or power shield that **** back lol...

brg

Smash Ace
the problem is, hes is forcing me to hit hit shield by the way he plays

3Years

Smash Lord
ok missle cancel then chase the missle and they usually jump 2 avoid it but then u follow up with a nair

if they're shielding grab em trust me

stay away from peaches cuz they dont do that well in long distance

if they start throwin turnips its easy 2 catch em

wavedash out of your shield alot if u cant catch the turnips

and if the dash attack alot w.d back and forward smash em

tell me if this stuff doesnt help your gameplay and ill give u some other tips

brg

Smash Ace
Well my problem is specifically vs Dr mario

He pill spams, so i kinda have to approach by the air, and most of the time he will shield grab me if i try a nair, fair, dair or he will simply roll backwards, in which case we just engage in close combat, but the problem lies in him pill spamming and shielding afterwards
I never sucessfully tried bombing his shield, although I think it just might work (ill try next time we play)

Sometimes I catch him with a charge shot when he doesnt have enough time to cape or shield, but still, the point is that this shield grabbing thing throws off an entire part of my offensive

3Years

Smash Lord
try wavedashing out of your shield if he's pill spamming to get closer to him and if that doesnt work then try missle canceling so his pills slow down but watch for wen he capes em back...and if your gunna try 2 nair him wen hes shielding get it from the back so he cant shield grab or distance where u land so he cant grab u...

brg

Smash Ace
cool ill try mixing things up next time we play

the only positive part of getting shieldgrabbed by doc is him yelling "yeeeehaaaw" or "wwwouuahaaaa"

brg

Smash Ace
montreal, quebec

its cool cause i heard there was a good competitive scene there and i recently started playing alot

brg

Smash Ace
thats pretty far...
lol if you live south us yes, yes it is far

Canada is pretty **** far actually now that I think about it. Surrounded by sea, 40 degrees at least north from the equator, this, is one isolated country

Mars-

Smash Champion
Doc has a pretty short grab, you can just approach him from the ground if you space well. If your coming down with an arial and he is just sitting in his shield, feel free to bomb it. If he puts it up when your about to hit, fast fall L-cancel a fair and jab, you should be able to outspeed him.

EDIT: Watty mentioned double jumping, this works really well. You just gotta fast fall your attack, and I would go for a dair instead of a nair when doing this. But this is just me.

Top Bottom