• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Team mates for Yoshi?

SlayerZaxy

Smash Cadet
Yes I know there is probably a thread out there somewhere for this sort of thing, but I can't find it partially because I'm stupid and partially because I am lazy, but what character matches with Yoshi to make the best team overall. MK is obviously not an option however good he may be with Yoshi; I'm not trying to make my friends cry.

If you could, list the top matches on a list. Maybe 1-10 or something.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
This is a good question.
I never tought about it.

Yoshi is not that good on team battles,but I think Snake is a good partner for us.

SlayerZaxy

Smash Cadet
This is a good question.
I never tought about it.

Yoshi is not that good on team battles,but I think Snake is a good partner for us.
Yeah I read a guide on yoshi somewhere that said he needs a partner with good projectiles. I agree with this so maybe samus? Snake sounds good as well. Since Yoshi has low killing power you could throw in a DK maybe? I play with a puff because we just kind of float around and can recover from far away and basically just pummel the enemy with aerials. My Yoshi revolves around Pivot grabs and Egg Tosses, so I need someone with smashing potential.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I've done very well with Wario in teams. He's flexible, heavy, and he has solid kill power.

I'm pretty sure that Yoshi works extremely well with characters who can get early kills. Yoshi has good setups with his Grab Releases, and he's pretty heavy, so he can tank well. I'd say GnW would be another good choice as far as teaming goes.

SlayerZaxy

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the input! Do you think Marth would be decent in there? Marth has pretty good killing potential. I'm a little confused as to why GnW is a good choice. The only logic I can see there is that GnW and Yoshi can confuse the @#$% out of most players.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
G&W has a excelent KO potential,while Yoshi gives damage,he kills.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
GnW's kill power is RIDICULOUS. Imagine a GR into a charged GnW Usmash. That's an incredibly early and easily setup kill.

Marth's kill power is kinda too dependent on his ability to tipper, imo. He can work with Yoshi, but it requires a good degree of synergy and teamwork. Marth can be quite frail, and Yoshi isn't too good at helping teammates out of bad situations.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Ness is a good partner,but he will probably prefer a Lucario than a Yoshi...

PMC66

Smash Journeyman
i've used Yoshi in teams quite a bit i'd say his best team mates in this order are:

Wario
Wolf
Game and watch
Snake
Falco

I find double Yoshi surprisingly effective at times though I do it for lolz with my friend mostly those are the only 5 characters I've found that have good team chemistry with Yoshi I feel tempted to say Mario and Luigi but they're bad characters in general lol

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Since this somewhat relates to the subject, how good do you guys think Peach is as a team mate, and are there any specific things we should do as a team? Also, as both of tend to be more of a supporting type in the doubles scene, who should be on point?

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Peach and Yoshi mesh well in the sense that there's good synergy except for the whole needing-to-win part.

Pikachu
Snake
Wario
Donkey Kong
Mr. Game and Watch

Those are the gold standard of teammate for Yoshi.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
And Ness. Like, Ness is seriously a Top 5 teammate for us imo. I mean, we support him SO WELL and as long as we can back him up and live, Ness ***** as a teammate for us, and his kill power/synergy is top notch. Like, Ive won local dubs tournaments teaming with this local Ness player who isnt even Top 10 here and Im only like #7 or so, it's seriously a REALLY good team.

SlayerZaxy

Smash Cadet
I used a Ness team, then a DK team and the DK team was much better. IDK why maybe the Ness wasn't as good. Dk just seems to cover up so much screen that he makes it easy to slip in eggs and grabs without anyone noticing until it's to late. Since Yoshi is amazing at grabbing, F-Smash from grab is a really good setup for the DK and Yoshi team.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Prob that the Ness was bad. Also, Ness does really good against MK, a popular character where I live (especially in doubles, literally 6 or 7 of the top 10 here use him in at least dubs) which makes him a VERY helpful teammate. Ness just walls really well, can handle 2v1s, kills really well, and Yoshi is great at supporting him and Yoshi can easily cover anything Ness needs if you know what you're doing.

SlayerZaxy

Smash Cadet
Prob that the Ness was bad. Also, Ness does really good against MK, a popular character where I live (especially in doubles, literally 6 or 7 of the top 10 here use him in at least dubs) which makes him a VERY helpful teammate. Ness just walls really well, can handle 2v1s, kills really well, and Yoshi is great at supporting him and Yoshi can easily cover anything Ness needs if you know what you're doing.
Can you shoot eggs into his absorber to heal him?

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Nyet. Eggs count as a physical hit.

So probably totally impossible to do on purpose, but i've been saved in the stupidest way by yoshi in teams. I partnered up with a yoshi for friendlies, and RIGHT when I got smacked by a smash attack and should have died, my yoshi buddy caught me in an egg lay and nullified the knockback.

We still lost, but we lost in STYLE~!

SlayerZaxy

Smash Cadet
Nyet. Eggs count as a physical hit.

So probably totally impossible to do on purpose, but i've been saved in the stupidest way by yoshi in teams. I partnered up with a yoshi for friendlies, and RIGHT when I got smacked by a smash attack and should have died, my yoshi buddy caught me in an egg lay and nullified the knockback.

We still lost, but we lost in STYLE~!
When I was little I thought that thats what team attack was for on N64.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Ive made so many accidental egg toss saves on my teammates its crazy lol.

And no, Ness cannot absorb Egg Toss.

Asa

Smash Hero
I footstooled my teammate immediately after he got hit by GaW's bucket a bit over a week ago. Get at me~

:005:
i got on my knees and proposed to this guy after it happened

also yoshi/olimar is a pretty fun team

Depster

Smash Champion
I've had a lot of fun doing Yoshi+Fox and Yoshi+Diddy as well. And by fun I mean it worked.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Well tbh I really dont think theres much that doesnt work with Yoshi, cuz from my experience Yoshi can really cover pretty much any role he's needed to do. The characters that can keep people off Yoshi, handle groups, and allow us to stock tank and camp easily are the best teammates for us as we can live FOREVER when ignored or protected, we have GREAT support and saving attributes, we can stall really well even in 1v2s, and we're really mobile allowing us to keep safe a lot better than most characters in the game.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: It's true that there isn't much that doesn't work well with Yoshi.

The challenge is finding what optimizes Yoshi within the scope of the team.

Yoshi really needs a few things from a teammate to optimize himself.

First, he needs space. Yoshi takes up so much room on a stage and his predictable movement options, sans DR, mean that in order for him to be effective, his partner has to be able to move freely and with relative impunity in order to let Yoshi run his game (and hopefully to let the partner take advantage of his speed).

Next, he needs KO power. Yoshi's limited KO options become even more limited and sometimes super situational in teams. Yoshi in teams most often gets relegated to the role of the consistent damage dealer, which is fine, but his partner needs access to quick-and-easy KO potential that is not situational or gimmicky.

Finally, he needs backup. One of the things Yoshi has been very good at since 64 has been his ability to not only play defense on teams, but also to do a fantastic job of saving his partners. The only character that's ever really done it better is Peach. Couple this with Yoshi's extended lifeline potential and you've got yourself quite a tanky bruiser. Unfortunately, not enough people are actually good enough at teams to spot problem characters, but if you ever do fight someone who knows how to run teams, you'll find that you're going to get targeted more often the more effectively you play Yoshi in teams. A partner that's able to extend Yoshi's life at little to no risk makes each percent that you soak up for your teammate that much more valuable. You want the enemy team practically tripping over themselves to get to you by time the match is done.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
^^^^^^^^ This, I agree completely, and it's the reason I think Ness is such a good teammate for us.

I mean, for space, Ness literally just uses fair, and BAM, space for us. Ness can also handle 1v2s really well, which means he can control a fight well, especially when he has us to back him up.

And KO, Ness has more than enough KO power, I dont even think I need to go over this one lol.

And as for backup, just ask Yink how good PK Thunder is as backup in teams, that thing can literally reach anywhere to disrupt/save and the tail negates almost all knockback without giving any. Also, PK Fire can easily hold up a character for a good second or two, which is more than enough time to punish whoever it hits and set up nicely.

Overall, Ness just has all the things Yoshi needs to be a good teammate and I think you guys should give that team a try.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
My friend invited me for a doubles tournament,he mains R.O.B and Peach.

What character is best for him to use with me?

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
R.O.B. imo. Peach really isnt the best teammate for Yoshi, you have to take action too much with Yoshi and it puts you at risk too much (trust me, my gf mains peach, I team with her all the time lol). ROB Is a lot better also because he has nice long reaching, safe, big aerials and long reaching tilts, as well as a nice camping game to support you when you need it. Although ROB doesnt really have the kill power youd like, yoshi has good kill set ups and you both live long, have good recoveries, can camp well, and handle 1v2s, so imo ROB is a much better option than Peach.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Honestly, i've teamed with D3 and had great success. What matters is how well your teammate can manage stage control so you can play agressively.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Uh, no one ever said D3 was a bad teammate for Yoshi...?

Scatz

Smash Champion
I never said implied it was a bad team. Don't put words in my mouth, and if you look, you'll see no one even opted to say D3 as a good teammate.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Well when you said honestly, it made it sound like youre disagreeing with someone.

Sarix

Smash Ace
R.O.B. imo. Peach really isnt the best teammate for Yoshi, you have to take action too much with Yoshi and it puts you at risk too much (trust me, my gf mains peach, I team with her all the time lol).
Yeah people tend to overrate Peach on teams to begin with though. She can do really well but on average she's pretty much...average in teams.

My friend plays Yoshi and with my Peach they have great DPS capability the main problem I see is that typically Peach prefers to play support on teams as that's where she is usually best but Yoshi is much more defensive, support oriented, and survives better than her. Killing is a real pest for them still though both Peach and Yoshi can help the other setup a kill; I know Peach's Utilt typically will knock opponents into the air high enough for Yoshi to get a Uair finish.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
People tend to overrate Peach prob cuz she was so godlike in teams in Melee. But yeah, Yoshi and Peach's roles in a team overlap too much for it to really be a great team, but thankfully, Yoshi can pretty much take any role in a team so it can work, just not near as well as another team.

Top Bottom