• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best stages for Pokemon Trainer

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I've been wondering what the best stages are for Pokemon Trainer. I have a tournament coming up and want to know what I should pick.

Stickmanlolz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lolaldenlee
Switch FC
SW-1694-6309-5598
I've been wondering what the best stages are for Pokemon Trainer. I have a tournament coming up and want to know what I should pick.
Castle Siege: the platform layout and close ceiling are excellent for Squirtle combos, and Charizard juggles, but the slant eats or redirects Ivy's Razorleaf.

P.S: quite large so Squirtle's burst movement is not as effective, but its water gun is quite powerful offstage, and the layout it allows Ivysaur's up-air vinewhip to shine as there is no middle platform for sheilding, Charizard can quickly close the distance and ends stocks sooner and the dual plat design is excellent for back air kills.

Yoshi Brawl: Ivysaur and Charizard heaven, I hope you noticed how much juggling is done on good stages because it became even more difficult for opponents to land, the short size of the stage also assists Squirtle's burst movement with withdraw and he can more easily disrupt positioning with water gun, it practically covers the whole stage.

Don't go FD or Kalos. You can guess why.

4Panda

Smash Rookie
You can play on battlefield because squritle and ivysaur are good their

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I would disagree on battlefield. Its not bad for PT, but if you are going against a campy opponent you will be at a disadvantage, because opponents can easily camp under the left or right platform limiting your options as all three for approach. You do however want platforms as you get a lot from having them in terms of combo potential for Squirtle and Ivysaur. So battlefield is fine if your opponent is a melee fighter or an aggressive opponent. Otherwise if the opponent likes to camp, if you struggle against that playstyle, I would say Final Destination. If you don't know, then a safe pick is pokemon stadium, or perhaps Castle Siege. I would probably avoid Yoshi's Island if possible, not because its a bad stage, but because personally I have found it to be awkward when approaching.

When it comes to stages with Pokemon Trainer I find you are more likely to pick a stage that puts your opponent at a disadvantage than vice versa given the flexibility of your character. So for bans, I would ban the stage that seems to aid the opponent the best. I would never for instance, let a Simon or Samus have Battlefield for free. Even if I know you can handle it, why make things difficult for yourself.

Scarlet Spyder

Smash Cadet
Appropriately enough, I really like Pokémon Stadium 2 because there’s enough room to space with Ivysaur and the platforms are a nice combo assist. In addition, Ivysaur can hit THROUGH this stage with Dair/Uair/ Vine Whip and that itself is pretty amazing. I actually spiked someone through the stage and he said “I thought that was just a Twitter combo...”

Yoshi’s Island (with the two slanted edges and single center platform) is a great counterpick for Pokémon Trainer. The platform is great for combos and the slopes don’t affect our gameplay much at all. Ivysaur does really well here, being able to Dair opponents safely from above and combo multiple Uairs using the platform.

I agree that you should pick a stage that makes the opponent’s character uncomfortable. Battlefield never feels like an advantageous stage even though it should be (theoretically). Pokemon Trainer is super versatile so use that to your advantage! I tend to ban FD and Kalos although Kalos can have some benefits.

Last edited:

"Bn"

Smash Cadet
Isle of Wight. It's in England by the way......
I believe that Smashville can be a positive pick IF you're opponent has no answer for razor leaf. the platform in middle can make aerial approaching awkward, couple this with Ivys anti-air game being brilliant and you can consistantly keep them at vines length. If they do out projectile you then stay away as you'll await the same fate.
Battlefield never feels like an advantageous stage even though it should be (theoretically).
This! Everything says that Battlefield should work as a stage for the mons, but something just feels....... off? I dunno, most of the time I'd just try and choose something else.

Scarlet Spyder

Smash Cadet
I believe that Smashville can be a positive pick IF you're opponent has no answer for razor leaf. the platform in middle can make aerial approaching awkward, couple this with Ivys anti-air game being brilliant and you can consistantly keep them at vines length. If they do out projectile you then stay away as you'll await the same fate.

This! Everything says that Battlefield should work as a stage for the mons, but something just feels....... off? I dunno, most of the time I'd just try and choose something else.
Despite being able to do ladder combos, I think each Pokemon can struggle to land in advantageous positions on this stage. I would only pick this stage if the opponent banned it for or has disadvantages on it (can't think of any characters at the moment).

Adamonado

Smash Cadet
Castle Siege: the platform layout and close ceiling are excellent for Squirtle combos, and Charizard juggles, but the slant eats or redirects Ivy's Razorleaf.

P.S: quite large so Squirtle's burst movement is not as effective, but its water gun is quite powerful offstage, and the layout it allows Ivysaur's up-air vinewhip to shine as there is no middle platform for sheilding, Charizard can quickly close the distance and ends stocks sooner and the dual plat design is excellent for back air kills.

Yoshi Brawl: Ivysaur and Charizard heaven, I hope you noticed how much juggling is done on good stages because it became even more difficult for opponents to land, the short size of the stage also assists Squirtle's burst movement with withdraw and he can more easily disrupt positioning with water gun, it practically covers the whole stage.

Don't go FD or Kalos. You can guess why.
I like FD with Trainer. What is your reasoning against it?

Adamonado

Smash Cadet
Thoughts on Town and City? Personally, I don't like it because the high ceilings makes killing with Ivy and Zard a lot harder, and the platforms seem to be in an awkward position that aren't too helpful for combos. Its big size also seems to screw up Squirtle's burst gameplay. That's my take on it, would you all agree on that or am I missing something?

Scarlet Spyder

Smash Cadet
Thoughts on Town and City? Personally, I don't like it because the high ceilings makes killing with Ivy and Zard a lot harder, and the platforms seem to be in an awkward position that aren't too helpful for combos. Its big size also seems to screw up Squirtle's burst gameplay. That's my take on it, would you all agree on that or am I missing something?
Town and City is not our worst stage but I think other characters can take advantage of the larger layout than Pokemon Trainer can. The platforms can certainly help extend combos and some of the higher platforms make opponents easier targets for aerials. Personally, I never choose this stage because Smashville, Yoshi's Island, or Battlefield tend to give us more advantages.

Earlier you said you like FD for Trainer but again, other characters (particularly zoners) are gonna get more out of it than PT. We just do way better with platforms. I almost always ban FD and Kalos (Kalos isn't that bad though).

Adamonado

Smash Cadet
The more I play, the more I like Smashville. The size of the stage works well for PT, the platform helps extend combos, and it just feels comfortable in general for all 3. I currently see it as our best stage based off the current normal competitive stage selection. Thoughts?

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
The more I play, the more I like Smashville. The size of the stage works well for PT, the platform helps extend combos, and it just feels comfortable in general for all 3. I currently see it as our best stage based off the current normal competitive stage selection. Thoughts?
Also the slants on the bottom-of-the-ledge on Smashville make spiking with Ivy Dair super easy.

Top Bottom