• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Secondary For Palutena?

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I've been having a hard time figuring out who to use as a secondary with my Palutena.

I've been also using Ness and Lucas just because I'm more comfortable with them really, but I want someone who can work really well against her weaknesses.

My thoughts are Peach or Olimar (haha I know top two characters) simply because they can really shut down the fast and oppressive top tiers that Palu has the most trouble with.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
I think Fox is Palutena’s worse match up. As a Palu secondary, I always struggle against Fox with her. He can rips her apart from close range, and he can get past her zoning pretty easily because of his reflector and his dash speed going through Palu’s neutral B. Hope this helps.

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
I think Fox is Palutena’s worse match up. As a Palu secondary, I always struggle against Fox with her. He can rips her apart from close range, and he can get past her zoning pretty easily because of his reflector and his dash speed going through Palu’s neutral B. Hope this helps.
Wow, I completely misread this topic. I thought you were looking for a secondary to go against Palutena, lol. I am really sorry about that! I would say a rush down character is a good secondary for Palutena. Fox, Wolf, the Fire Emblem characters, and Pichu. Honestly, as $.A.F. above me said, there are not that many matchups that Palutena loses so you could potentially have whoever you enjoy the most, but because Palutena is very defensive, an offensive, rush down character might be your best choice. Again, I am sorry about my first post.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Zelda and Peach are good secondaries. The former is defensive like Palutena and will feel familiar to an extent, but she has better punishes and "get off of me" tools against out of shield options. Palutena can get overwhelmed by a good rushdown character, but I feel like I can control the flow of battle better against them with Zelda because of how aggressive she can be. Using Zelda has benefited my Palutena and vice versa.

Conversely, Peach (or Daisy, if you prefer) is just an all-around solid character. You will not struggle against speedy, oppressive/in-your-face characters with Peach, especially if you learn how to use her properly and space/combo with float and turnips.

Last edited:

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
Im a Peach/Palu main!

Both are great in the air with decent smashes, and share counters, high-priority Nairs, and boast great killing power/combo ability. So I use them both. :)

With that being said, it is HARD to use Peach effectively, as she is very very very technical, especially with Turnip combos. You might get aggravated, but tbh its worth it in the end.

Mooer

Smash Cadet
I'm a wolf main with Palutena as a secondary and I think they compliment each other nicely. They both have comparable air mobility and control. Wolf can shore up the aggressive rush-down match-ups

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
Kinda late to the party on this one, but Lucina works well. Lucina plays similar fundamentally, but you trade projectiles and combos for a stronger ground game and the ability to relieve pressure more easily. Joker works too, but small characters continue to be a problem for him without the big red man.

Top Bottom