• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Secondary For Duck Hunt?

SnailTX

Smash Rookie
I've been looking for a secondary that covers DH's bad match ups (sheik, sonic, fox, etc.)
and I'm having trouble. Any thoughts?

Jmon101

Smash Cadet
My secondaries are Lucario and Marth. Lucario against characters that struggle to kill, and Marth as a rush down, bait and punish sort of style.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Cloud seems to fair well. But then again you could play Cloud in most of DHD's good matchups and still fair well, if not better. :glare:

TheQTpie

Smash Cadet
NNID
Qu1nn9250
I personally play bowser jr as a secondary for duck hunt. IMO he goes even with almost all his bad match ups

WolfmanDeerek

Smash Cadet
Looking for a good secondary or tertiary can be a tough decision. Most people I've talked about this with are trying to cover holes in the match ups.

I approach it a little differently myself. I'm spread a bit thin as I have co-mains and back up plans in various weight classes.

Duck Hunt is the captain of my range game and my top pick on For Glory. However, Cloud and Ganondorf are my co-mains. When I'm not confident in those three for whatever reason, I turn to Rosalina or Roy.

I practice most with Duck Hunt but from time to time I have hard matches which call for one of my other four. Who I call on depends on what gave my Dog problems. In a sense Duck Hunt is my measuring stick.

Rush down: This has been the most common head ache for me. It bogs down my can tactics and generally throws me off. If the person is super aggressive non stop I will counter pick Ganondorf. If they pressure with perfect spacing with someone like Marth, ZSS, or Diddy I switch to Cloud.

If they use Samus or Link I always counter pick Rosalina. I loathe Samus and Link against Duck Hunt.

I pick Roy when the person likes to hit and run and somehow still avoids Duck Hunt's zoning options. Roy flows well against hit and run.

There are a few match ups I stick with Duck Hunt even if I lost. Ryu is the main one. I have fought various degrees of talented Ryu players (not Trella, though) and I love Duck Hunt's options.

My suggestion is to have your back up based on why you lost rather than the character you faced if you can. It ticks me off that there are characters who dictate me NOT picking Duck Hunt. Maybe one day Link and Samus won't give me fits.

Zenithia

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6013-0446-3047
Oh god, man—we all know what you mean with Link and Samus. Those match ups are so lopsided it's not funny. I always switch to Greninja for them as he can both duck under their projectiles and punish their laggy moves efficiently.

In general I find Greninja a good secondary, but that's just me and my playstyle probably. I like playing characters that can instantly switch from camping to getting aggressive, hence why I play Duck Hunt in the first place.

WolfmanDeerek

Smash Cadet
I thought it was just a personal match up difficulty since great Link and Samus players even give my Cloud fits. I'm not even going to mention what a nightmare they are for my Ganondorf.

I really like Rosalina if someone out walls my Duck hunt. I've recently been trying to understand Greninja, but he's so odd for me. I still have trouble landing his aerials. Sort of reminds me of Wii Fit Trainer. I know they can be effective but when I play them it's awkward.

Zenithia

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6013-0446-3047
Don't blame you there, my aerials in general are a lot more precise with Duck Hunt. It might be the fact that I spend more hours playing him or that his aerials are just better. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it were the latter.

And OP, dumb question for an old topic, have you tried playing on random? Maybe you'll find one you like that covers the bad MUs for Duck Hunt there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom