• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best secondary as Little Mac main?

Cagt

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cagt3000
So I've been playing Little Mac since Day 1 on 3DS, and even got to try him out back when they had demos of the game at Best Buy. I've been solely focusing on mastering him, and while I haven't won any tourneys yet, I consistently Top 8 weeklies and monthlies in my area (Smash on the Hill being the biggest one).

Unfortunately, there are a few character I have a very hard time dealing with, the main ones being Ness and Link. I've beaten Ness before plenty of times, but a few Ness players I know can just read my rolls and go to town. As for Link. I just have a lot of trouble approaching him overall.

So it has come to my attention that I need a secondary. My question is: who do you think would be the best secondary for a Little Mac main that counters those characters? I've been torn between Mario and Roy lately, as both let me have an aggressive playstyle, lots of combos, and are not as easily stopped by projectiles.

What do you guys think?

JoeCool^

Smash Rookie
NNID
Derp78
I think Mario would make a great secondary. He handles projectile characters pretty well. And for the other characters you're struggling with,
i suggest Kirby.

Last edited:

NarayanK

Smash Cadet
Mario is a great pocket character one could keep. I also suggest Fox/Falco due to their ability to force projectile characters into approaching them. They also have their own great combos, though I recommend Fox because he is able to pressure the opponent with his damage-racking lasers more. Rosalina is another option if you want to pick a completely different playstyle from Mac, but she's more on the defensive side of things.

CaliforniaSoul

Smash Rookie
Right now I'm using co-maining Link and Mac, but a good secondary solely for Mac I feel like would be Mario or Fox. They have good aerials, can recover and have a nice neutral game. Still looking for that secondary myself but I'm leaning towards Mario.

Elitist

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1220-9559-1098
Little Mac, interestingly enough, does very much to handle himself as a solo main. There are a handful of bad match-ups for him (Think Mario and Ness, to a lesser extent), to which they're alleviated BY picking them up.

To expand your options, I suggest picking someone up known for their comboing abilities, with a projectile. The projectile is crucial here, you'll 100% want it. Toon Link, (Doctor) Mario, (Zero Suit) Samus, and Duck Hunt Duo are all excellent, though I find myself fond of the last one. No one EVER expects a Duck Hunt.

Top Bottom