• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best secondary as a ZSS main

Roche_CL

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I would like your opinion on the matter.
I've been looking for a secondary to cover the matchups I struggle with.

ZSS struggles with spacies + falcon and maybe others (G&W nerf plzz)
What characters counter them all?

I think metaknight has good matchups against most of them, since he has good Oos options, can combo fastfallers into hell with Uairs, has disjointed hitboxes and Usmash is such a nice combostarter, also he can gimp them pretty easily.
I've been using him against falcon and the matchup seems so much easier to handle. I don't have problems with zss against fox so I still use her in that matchup. Haven't tried it against wolf or falco.

Tell me your thougts n_n

Legit

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1075-1516-8692
I'd like to know this as well. I've been fooling around with GnW and Diddy, as they seem to fare better in ZSS's bad MUs, but I'm unsure if there are better options. I admittedly don't know too much about matchups for characters besides ZSS lmao.

Foo

Smash Lord
I've always thought roy was a good choice, especially since he's so easy to play. You don't need to understand him on too deep of a level to be successful with him. Marth is also a good choice for the same reasons.

Arcana~

I Am Thou
NNID
Orange-Shinobi
If you're just looking for someone that handles Spacies and Falcon naturally better than Zamus then I'd probably say Sheik. Though lacking in recovery Sheik goes to town on them with brain-dead juggles, simple gimps, and a stupidly low crouch to avoid Spacies' laser shenanigans and Falcon's SH nair and jab play.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
If you're looking for a consistent counter to all the spacies plus Falcon, you're probably not going to find one...

Good reactionary techchasing and efficient edgeguards go a long way though. It's kind of like Sheik v spacies, except there's a huge skew in meta development right now. The setups aren't widely known, the followups aren't practiced, the nuances simply aren't well understood yet.

I feel that ZSS is pretty flexible in terms of secondaries. Round out your stage options a bit, bolster a few tricky matchups (be it spacies, puffballs, whatever), just don't open yourself up to counterpick wars too much. MK's a solid option, especially against Falcon, so if that's doing it for you then by all means continue.

Last edited:

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
Speaking from experience, Roy for sure. Roy/ZSS covers literally every character in the game.

Fatties body Roy. ZSS bodies fatties.
Spacies, Falcon, G&W body ZSS. Roy bodies spacies, Falcon, and G&W.

ted dorosheff

Smash Apprentice
G&W bodies zss? Idk if he bodies zss, ied say its a pretty even MU. You just gotta keep G&W at a distance and he isnt that hard. Unless he has you in the air, his game is pretty much stuffed by lasers and whips. At least this is what ive noticed on a good percent of G&W mains on netplay. If you have insight to the contrary, drop it on me.

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
Whoops, I hate that character so much I jusr slipped him in there lol. Well, I probably put him in there mostly because Roy counters him.

But for the record no, I dont think G&W counters ZSS. I just know that I don't like it and it feels very awkward.

ted dorosheff

Smash Apprentice
Whoops, I hate that character so much I jusr slipped him in there lol. Well, I probably put him in there mostly because Roy counters him.

But for the record no, I dont think G&W counters ZSS. I just know that I don't like it and it feels very awkward.
Ahh okay. i dont like G&W either, but i used to reaaally hate him.

Top Bottom