• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best secondaries to go along with maining Mewtwo?

SpicyDemon

Smash Rookie
So as a new player trying to get into competitive smash, Mewtwo immediately got me hooked. However, there are some matchups (especially against fast/ rushdown characters like pikachu and fox, but also sword characters) that I struggle against. Mewtwo is also the only character I have substantial experience with. Which characters would you suggest picking up to cover his bad matchups? Thanks!

Lanny

Smash Cadet
Given it's kind of early and there doesn't seem to be wide consensus on what is and isn't a good matchup at this point I'm not sure there's really a right answer here. I like Chrom as a secondary, I have a hard time rushing down pure zoners as mewtwo, and fast up-close characters that can get in and do a lot of damage can be a struggle sometimes so Chrom's high falling speed and generally less-laggy/less-active moves feel like they cover those matchups well. As the meta evolves those might be the last things that are a problem for mewtwo though so at this point I think it's better to just pick something fun/different rather than trying to pick a secondary based on the matchup spread.

mrplar_carton

Smash Rookie
maybe pick the best character...

PIRANHA PLANT

but jokes aside possibly young link but im not the best at this

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Ness has positive matchups against both of the rats, is at least even with Fox, and while he doesn’t beat swords out right he doesn’t get bodied by them. He’s a really good character right now and he’ll probably be easy to pick up for a Mewtwo main because their movement feels very similar, especially their double jump. I suggest giving him a try and seeing if you like him

Lanny

Smash Cadet
Ness was my go-to secondary in melee, he sucked but he was pretty fun to play. The weird double jump acceleration mechanic is my least favorite part of him and mewtwo though, I've never found a situation where it was better than a normal double jump, it's harder to jump out of strings and it gives significantly more time to react to anything involving it,

What's your opinion on ness vs. lucas? I feel like I've seen more lucas players online. Any particular reason to play one vs. the other?

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Ness was my go-to secondary in melee, he sucked but he was pretty fun to play. The weird double jump acceleration mechanic is my least favorite part of him and mewtwo though, I've never found a situation where it was better than a normal double jump, it's harder to jump out of strings and it gives significantly more time to react to anything involving it,

What's your opinion on ness vs. lucas? I feel like I've seen more lucas players online. Any particular reason to play one vs. the other?
Well I don’t know much about Lucas but Ness is really good in this game. Top three tournament results and definitely a high tier right now. Lucas isn’t getting those same results. Personally I think Ness’a aerials and disjoints are better. He also has the yo-yo to ledge trap and 2 frame better than almost anyone in the game. I think he has a better combo game and his PK Thunder is better. His PK Fire also leads to way more follow ups and big damage combos. He also has a great grab game with two of the best grabs in the game in dthrow for comboing and bthrow for reliable killing. I also think his PSI Magnet is much better as it can be used as a spacing tool, a combo extender, and a momentum cancel to mix up landings. He has more diverse neutral and kill options and he doesn’t have to rely on PKT2 to recover due to his double jump (a lot like Mewtwos) and air dodge. He also feels a lot more like Mewtwo and I think a Mewtwo player would be very comfy with him

Right now I think Ness is definitely the better choice. He’s not Melee Ness anymore, he’s not even just viable. He’s actually high tier and he solidly beats both pikas and 50/50’s most rushdown characters and doesn’t have trouble with them

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I normally like to secondary ridley however that isn't normally the best option all the time

Isaac4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
someletters
3DS FC
4270-5125-0529
Switch FC
SW-0987-8922-3098
I've had issues finding a secondary during early ult era but I settled with pikachu
fast, hard to hit, and m2s worst mus like fox and falco became actually winnable when switching to him
only issue I'd see is that compared to other top tiers you'll have to spend more time learning him since he relies on kill confirms and edge guarding to take stocks unlike most other characters around his level which can kill easily with stray hits

Top Bottom