• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best quality Melee video on youtube!!!

LLDL

Smash Hero
You may want to look at ajp_anton's videos to see some quality : here, for instance.
They don't look as good on youtube, though =/
thats what I mean. Anyone get good quality videos in like avi or mp4 format on their PC. My vids look HD on my pc. But I'm talking about on youtube.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
thanks france!

i downloaded a set of these videos, really high a/v quality and great gameplay of course (armada vs. callew) what year are these from?
-lovage
A week ago lol

Don't forget to look at the other tournaments : http://ajpanton.se/ssbm/

My advices :
RoX4 (Sweden, 2007)
ESA2 (France, 2008) : Europe vs Japan
SR4 (Norway, 2008)
Smack (Germany, 2009) : Last time Armada lost a set in Europe before Genesis
ESA3 (France, 2009)

Also, Smail (2007 ? 2008 ?) and Smail 2 (2008) for some EK videos.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=241234

another way to get real pretty matches.

and y do things look worse when i click watch in HQ ? its all glitch like if frames r missing or something?
When you press HQ after the vid has started it sometimes gets glitched up because it tries to reset the video from where you pressed HQ without buffering properly. Whenever you press HQ be sure to rewind the video to the very beginning or else that will happen.

Also this is pretty sweet, he says it's a capture card, I've heard of that type and I know for a fact that it has great quality, but like some people are mentioning it's a Dolphin Emu...that's also a huge possibility.

joeplicate

Smash Master
A week ago lol

Don't forget to look at the other tournaments : http://ajpanton.se/ssbm/

My advices :
RoX4 (Sweden, 2007)
ESA2 (France, 2008) : Europe vs Japan
SR4 (Norway, 2008)
Smack (Germany, 2009) : Last time Armada lost a set in Europe before Genesis
ESA3 (France, 2009)

Also, Smail (2007 ? 2008 ?) and Smail 2 (2008) for some EK videos.
ahhh awesome
we need more european videos now :)
thanks pierre

harriettheguy

Smash Lord
Edit: These are from the same guy Slhoka posted about; ajpanton.

The european crew battles Phil posted are really f***ing smoooth.
Like playing on electronic silk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkUbVYfl6OQ

Not crisp though.

And here's a brawl vid who's quality I was fascinated with like a year ago. It's just the overall quality, but I'd like to see if it could catch the speed of melee spacies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4HvhIPOz4I

Grahf

Smash Apprentice
I'm guessing he saved the file as a really high bit rate and a different file type that most people use.

When I record some of my games I use MPEG-2 but his looks like it was recorded in this insanely good quality format that is like 100 megs a second to record or something called DV.

At the end of the day though...Youtube re-encodes your videos at MP-4 really reducing the file size by a holy **** amount (♥♥♥) with MP4 quality vids...and my only guess as someone who studies this stuff for my own videos is that it was in High Definition on Youtube (checkz nop3 it wasn't) OR he could have recorded it really high bit rate with a really unorthadox file format....since my first guess is out of the question since it's in HQ only....I dunno I'm outta guesses except for that.

Because the quality looks like it was shot at 60 FPS and crisp and clean quality like crazy...I'd really love to know too.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
Just noticed someone asked me to post here... I don't check my messages so often =)

About quality:
It's not about making good quality videos. It's about making bad quality. I'm not doing anything special to my videos. I just don't do anything stupid with them.
Taking my equipment to Pound4 to show you guys how it's done.

About 60fps:
You don't record in 60fps, the video is only in 30fps (unless it's 480p60). You make that into 60fps (not doing this would be one of those stupid things mentioned above).

About mpeg2-encoding etc:
Don't. Please, just don't. Interlaced YV12 is not widely supported in those encoders.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
The only thing I notice about these video's are that the frame rates are at 60, but the quality still isn't the best. The only really good quality video I saw was the TAS falcon video and that was because it was done on an emulator.

Back in the Divx Stage 6 days, that's when quality was good.
For those who aren't familiar, Divx had their own video hosting website known as Stage 6 and it would never lower the quality of your video. I "think" they closed down because they were too godly and didn't have enough space for all the amazing videos, haha

Youtube will most likely never be like Stage 6. If you want perfect quality, I would recommend hosting your own videos yourself.

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
If you want perfect quality, I would recommend hosting your own videos yourself.
This is what I do. I rarely (/never) use Youtube because doing extra work to get low quality video to the masses doesn't feel worth it.

Probably going to make an exception for Pound4 though, making special versions of the videos for YT uploading. This is the first test on a very bad stage for compression. Going to look into the sound-out-of-sync issue with the next one on another stage.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
the quality is good, but it doesn't really have a great frame-rate. Its really skippy and gets tiresome to watch after a while.
Lolwut!? :confused:

I am using the best HD recorder on the market, edit it with Vegas, and you are still johning on my video?!?!?!?

Sir, I will have to call sum ol' Bull**** on that one. :p

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
Lolwut!? :confused:

I am using the best HD recorder on the market, edit it with Vegas, and you are still johning on my video?!?!?!?

Sir, I will have to call sum ol' Bull**** on that one. :p
Sorry but I have to agree with him. The deinterlacing there is somehow f-ed (this is what makes it feel "skippy").
Also, there are large black bars on the sides and a small one at the bottom.

May I ask what that "best HD recorder" is? I hope you are not trying to record it in HD since Melee is not in HD. You need to upscale it to HD for Youtube to force it to use a higher bitrate (480p would look better than upscaled 720p at the same starved bitrate).
Also, Vegas (or any other expensive app) doesn't automatically make it good. All of my videos are edited 100% with Avisynth, and it's free.

edit:
New quality test videos. Final Destination and Pokemon Stadium. Now, what did you say about your Super Ultra HD recorder? Because these are captured with a cheap low quality $50 capture card.

Top Bottom