• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Pokemon Gen 8 canditate for Smash?

Disregarding typings, which starter do YOU want in the game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NeonVoid

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure why this is in general and not character discussion. But who really cares right now.

I'm going to piggy back on this:

My two big ideas:

- Team Rocket: Uses all sorts of Pokemon mechanics unseen, as a way to cheat. Double/Triiple battles, Pokeball based traps (the use of the actual item itself), Meowth as a figurehead, Wobbuffet deflection.

- Eevee. Base moveset that can be adjusted ONE TIME per battle, which is an evolution mechanic. The same base character would be used for the movesets, but with differing elemental effects (and possibly, one minor difference between each). Different stages/battle styles would allow different evolutions. Meaning- some stages ONLY would allow location based evolution. Some types of battles only would allow stone evolutions. Time of day only could allow Gen2 specifics.

Yeah, i'm not too good with posting threads, I mainly just support others. I can't even make a new poll on this page.

It's ambitious. Either way.
Agreed on that. I may not want it much but it has just as much potential as the other two starters. I've warmed up to its design after awhile.
Well said, I do think there is some good in Inteleon to see, and he has grown on me quite a bit

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm not sure why this is in general and not character discussion. But who really cares right now.

I'm going to piggy back on this:

My two big ideas:

- Team Rocket: Uses all sorts of Pokemon mechanics unseen, as a way to cheat. Double/Triiple battles, Pokeball based traps (the use of the actual item itself), Meowth as a figurehead, Wobbuffet deflection.

- Eevee. Base moveset that can be adjusted ONE TIME per battle, which is an evolution mechanic. The same base character would be used for the movesets, but with differing elemental effects (and possibly, one minor difference between each). Different stages/battle styles would allow different evolutions. Meaning- some stages ONLY would allow location based evolution. Some types of battles only would allow stone evolutions. Time of day only could allow Gen2 specifics.

It's ambitious. Either way.
Team Rocket :052::023::109:

Team Rocket could be a cross between Pokémon Trainer and Ice Climbers. Jessie and James would be the Pokémon Trainers in the background. Meowth would be the Popo of the team. Ekans and Koffing would take turns as the Nana of the team via down special (down B).

Meowth would provide the normal moves with scratching, biting, and throwing coins. Ekans and Koffing would provide the special moves. Basically Team Rocket has one set of normal moves (Meowth) and two sets of special moves (Ekans and Koffing).

Meowth & Ekans team could have moves that involve paralyzing glares, constricting, swallowing and spitting up.

Meowth & Koffing team could have moves that involve explosions, poison clouds, and sludges.

Eevee :133::134::135::136:

Eevee evolves once per battle? How about per stock?

If an Eeveelution gets KOed, it comes back as Eevee and you can choose another Eeveelution.

Eevee’s standard special (neutral B) could be Eevee choosing between the evolution stones.

Everstone = Eevee doesn’t evolve but neutral B is now a Normal type move.

Water Stone = Eevee evolves into Vaporeon and neutral B is now a Water type move.

Thunder Stone = Eevee evolves into Jolteon and neutral B is now an Electric type move.

Fire Stone = Eevee evolves into Flareon and neutral B is now a Fire type move.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Team Rocket :052::023::109:

Team Rocket could be a cross between Pokémon Trainer and Ice Climbers. Jessie and James would be the Pokémon Trainers in the background. Meowth would be the Popo of the team. Ekans and Koffing would take turns as the Nana of the team via down special (down B).

Meowth would provide the normal moves with scratching, biting, and throwing coins. Ekans and Koffing would provide the special moves. Basically Team Rocket has one set of normal moves (Meowth) and two sets of special moves (Ekans and Koffing).

Meowth & Ekans team could have moves that involve paralyzing glares, constricting, swallowing and spitting up.

Meowth & Koffing team could have moves that involve explosions, poison clouds, and sludges.

Eevee :133::134::135::136:

Eevee evolves once per battle? How about per stock?

If an Eeveelution gets KOed, it comes back as Eevee and you can choose another Eeveelution.

Eevee’s standard special (neutral B) could be Eevee choosing between the evolution stones.

Everstone = Eevee doesn’t evolve but neutral B is now a Normal type move.

Water Stone = Eevee evolves into Vaporeon and neutral B is now a Water type move.

Thunder Stone = Eevee evolves into Jolteon and neutral B is now an Electric type move.

Fire Stone = Eevee evolves into Flareon and neutral B is now a Fire type move.
I really feel that part of the beauty of Meowth and Eevee is that they are evergreen Pokemon- always relevant. Maybe even more so in growing time.
If we got either, I don't think they would solely represent the first couple of years of Pokemon.
Particularly Eevee, wherein a new DLC Eeveelution could be the catalyst to spur the character.

I'd be happy to have either of these ideas to get the character, but I would be a bit remiss to not see more variety in either.

NeonVoid

Smash Journeyman
Can somebody help me out? I'm working on a Galar Pokemon trainer moveset, and I only planned to have Cinderace as one of the Pokemon.

I can't decide what I want the next positions to be. I have Cinderace locked in, and I could follow character lines by adding in Sobble and Thwackey, or I could go for more unique and original mechanics by having in Grookey and Drizzile. Can somebody give me an opinion?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I really feel that part of the beauty of Meowth and Eevee is that they are evergreen Pokemon- always relevant. Maybe even more so in growing time.
If we got either, I don't think they would solely represent the first couple of years of Pokemon.
Particularly Eevee, wherein a new DLC Eeveelution could be the catalyst to spur the character.

I'd be happy to have either of these ideas to get the character, but I would be a bit remiss to not see more variety in either.
I don't think that there will be a DLC Eeveelution.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Can somebody help me out? I'm working on a Galar Pokemon trainer moveset, and I only planned to have Cinderace as one of the Pokemon.

I can't decide what I want the next positions to be. I have Cinderace locked in, and I could follow character lines by adding in Sobble and Thwackey, or I could go for more unique and original mechanics by having in Grookey and Drizzile. Can somebody give me an opinion?
I think grookey and Drizzile works better

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I don't think that there will be a DLC Eeveelution.
Maybe not- but we have another DLC package. We had new Galarian forms in the first one.

I could see the Eeveelution having been saved for the DLC patches.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Maybe not- but we have another DLC package. We had new Galarian forms in the first one.

I could see the Eeveelution having been saved for the DLC patches.
It's clear that the only new Pokemon being added are legendaries and mythicals.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Just because Slowpoke is among the non-playable Pokemon you can select as a profile icon in SSBU doesn't mean it's a legendary/legendary with a different name.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Just because Slowpoke is among the non-playable Pokemon you can select as a profile icon in SSBU doesn't mean it's a legendary/legendary with a different name.
Regional variants are different, because they don't take up new dex slots.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
If by 'its clear' you mean, "you personally assume so because that's what youve seen after one DLC addition ever," then sure.

A point in time is not a line, nor does that dicate anything as this isn't an equation.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
If by 'its clear' you mean, "you personally assume so because that's what youve seen after one DLC addition ever," then sure.

A point in time is not a line, nor does that dicate anything as this isn't an equation.
I don't think that they would put non-legendaries along with legendaries in the dex. According to the new rules, they would also have to give Eevee a Galarian form if they want to give it a new evolution.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
I don't think that they would put non-legendaries along with legendaries in the dex. According to the new rules, they would also have to give Eevee a Galarian form if they want to give it a new evolution.
What rules? It was never stated that eevee specifically had to have a new galar form to get an evo. And besides, how does that create a problem? Galar Eevee and eeveelutions dosen't seem too bad.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
What rules? It was never stated that eevee specifically had to have a new galar form to get an evo. And besides, how does that create a problem? Galar Eevee and eeveelutions dosen't seem too bad.
It's because Eevee is already in the game in its standard form.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Dosen't seem like a big issue as we can just transfer past forms between games, so we can have normal, alolan, and galarian meowth all fighting each other at the same time for instance.
They would have to completely replace the original forms in the game with their Galarian Forms if they added them for any Pokemon that is already in the Galar Dex.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
They would have to completely replace the original forms in the game with their Galarian Forms if they added them for any Pokemon that is already in the Galar Dex.
Um, no they wouldn't. They would just need a special variant in the dlc, similar to how slowpoke is exclusive to the dlc areas, but not in main galar. Besides, it's possible we can just get a normal eeveelution, which evolves from normal eevee. There's no rule that it has to be galarian to get an evo.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Corviknight. It'll give some much needed non-furry pokemon (for lack of a better term) and a it's got a super intresting moveset potential and flying-steel are both types not yet in smash. While types don't exactly change much, it would still be cool to get more types represented in smash

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Corviknight. It'll give some much needed non-furry pokemon (for lack of a better term) and a it's got a super intresting moveset potential and flying-steel are both types not yet in smash. While types don't exactly change much, it would still be cool to get more types represented in smash
And since when are actual birds added? (Excluding falco)

Victory.IsMyDestinySSB4

Smash Journeyman
I think the most likely mon is Toxtricity. It has story significance (kinda) and having a rushdown character with poison damage is something pretty unique to smash.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
None. Add legacy Pokémon that stood the test of time instead.
Blaziken, Victini, Blastoise, Venusaur, Zoroark, Serperior, Decidueye, Infernape, Empoleon, Eevee, Scizor, Charmander, (I'd say Bulbasaur, but he'd work as an Ivysaur alt), Dragonite, Gengar.
And I guess Plusle & Minun to pay homage to the forbidden seven. Raichu would also work fine as a Pikachu Echo.

But if I MUST pick a Gen 8 rep, I'd probably bet on Toxtricity for the Pokémon with the most long-term popularity.

Last edited:

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
None. Add legacy Pokémon that stood the test of time instead.
Blaziken, Victini, Blastoise, Venusaur, Zoroark, Serperior, Decidueye, Infernape, Empoleon, Eevee, Scizor, Charmander, (I'd say Bulbasaur, but he'd work as an Ivysaur alt), Dragonite, Gengar.
And I guess Plusle & Minun to pay homage to the forbidden seven. Raichu would also work fine as a Pikachu Echo.

But if I MUST pick a Gen 8 rep, I'd probably bet on Toxtricity for the Pokémon with the most long-term popularity.
Finally. Another who respects the past.

Lionel_B

Smash Apprentice
We recently discovered the 2 forms of Calyrex. Shadow Rider and Ice Rider. And I admit that I fell in love with Ice Rider.

And the idea of him being in Smash would appeal to me, it's a horseman, and it's a Lancer. Let's be clear, it has no chance, it will be played between an 8G starter or Urshifu, see even Melmetal, but if it was in Smash, it will not make me forget Decidueye, but I will probably be hyped, it would be the first since King K Rool.

Last edited:
Top Bottom