• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best place to get an N64 controller?

steaker

Smash Rookie
I'm looking to get into ssb64 netplay. I've read that Raphnet V3 is the best USB adapter, but is there a standard place to get a new n64 controller? It doesn't need to be first party as long as it feels like it is. I don't want a controller with a strange ultra-sensitive stick, but obviously not one with a huge "wiggle room" (like a worn-out controller). Just looking for one that feels like the original, or, whatever the pros recommend. Is there a consensus among the community of where I should get one?

Also, if you are affiliated with a company that sells n64 controllers, I ask that you please refrain from commenting.

Stormcrow2

Smash Apprentice
I'm looking to get into ssb64 netplay. I've read that Raphnet V3 is the best USB adapter, but is there a standard place to get a new n64 controller? It doesn't need to be first party as long as it feels like it is. I don't want a controller with a strange ultra-sensitive stick, but obviously not one with a huge "wiggle room" (like a worn-out controller). Just looking for one that feels like the original, or, whatever the pros recommend. Is there a consensus among the community of where I should get one?

Also, if you are affiliated with a company that sells n64 controllers, I ask that you please refrain from commenting.
Hey, I just bought one from GameStop, actually... I was shocked they had an original Nintendo-brand one in stock. I have a few others as well, but wanted to buy since it was only $10. They seem to be increasingly difficult to find. You can also find them at Disc Replay (or similar stores that sell used games/music/dvds etc.) but they're hard to find there, too. I would suggest not using any 3rd party controller and go with the Nintendo one, even if the stick is a little loose. The third party ones are not nearly as good for Smash. From what I've gathered, most people either use an original N64 pad still or the Hori mini (but I think they are expensive).

I just bought some replacement joystick gears (the 2 black pieces inside the stick box) and put them in a couple of my worn sticks. They don't feel like brand new, but they helped a little bit. I have purchased one full replacement stick online from a 3rd party but was not satisfied at all with performance so I can't recommend. Good luck!

Top Bottom