• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best OOS Option?

12Tables

Smash Rookie
This is just a simple discussion about the OOS options and what people think are viable and/or useful. Please list character, if reply is character specific.

So far the OOS Options I know of are.
  1. Jump -> Nair
  2. Jump -> Wave Dash
  3. Jump -> Up-B
  4. Parry (attempt)
  5. Shield Dropping (Drop Through Platform) No longer in game past demo
  6. Roll/Spot dodge to a response
  7. Grab
  8. Jump Canceled Up-Smash
1. Jump -> Nair
This is done simply by pressing jump and A at the same time. To do a Full hop Nair attack must be pressed after frame 3 of the full hop animation. This is what I see being mostly used in games right now.

2. Jump -> Wavedash
This is done by starting the jump animation and letting go of shield for at least 1 frame. Then during the jump squat animation you have to hold the controlstick in a direction and press shield. (direction held determines distance and angle of dash) Perfect inputs allows for invulnerability on frame 6. Once the invulnerability starts release all controls to prevent buffering. The main advantage of this is it allows you to move horizontally off of platforms with 5 frames of vulnerability, and vulnerabilty resumes when you are about even with the platform.
More information on air dodging: Chiroz's Post on spot-dodges-rolls-air-dodges-and-staling

3. Jump -> Up-B
Jump then input up b. You can do this after dropping shield but it takes longer. (shield drop takes 11 frames jumping takes 3)

4. Parry (attempt)
Drop shield in an attempt to parry the opponent. More information on Parrying can be found here. Might be most useful to punish aerial or smash attack.
More information on Parrying here: Chiroz's Post on shield-and-parrying

5. Shield Dropping (Drop Through Platform) No longer in game past demo
Still testing this. The timing is a lot tighter. I'll edit this once I finish some more testing. As of right now this just feels much harder to do.

6. Roll/Spot dodge to a response
Roll with left or right directional input or press down to spot dodge. Spot dodge is very use useful to avoid a grab attempt.
More information on rolls here: Chiroz's Post on spot-dodges-rolls-air-dodges-and-staling

7. Grab
Slower than it used to be. Still need to do more testing on due to each character having different grab animations. Also need to test verse shield stun.

8. Jump Canceled Up-smash
Jump and on the first frame of jumpsquat input up-smash. Pretty slow but might be a good edge guard mix up.

Let me know If I missed anything that you think should be included.

***EDIT***
Removed shield dropping, no longer in the game past the demo.

Last edited:

nedskii-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nedskii
Switch FC
6236-0030-3158
You cannot shield drop platforms in Ultimate. Also pretty sure you cannot jump cance up smash, you just up smash and do not need to drop sheild(same for up-B)

12Tables

Smash Rookie
You cannot shield drop platforms in Ultimate.
A video on twitter showed shield dropping through a platform in ultimate. ***EDIT*** Found the video it was from the demo version. You are correct, you can no longer shield drop platforms. And I just wasted about 2 hours trying to figure out the timing. T_T

Also pretty sure you cannot jump cance up smash, you just up smash and do not need to drop sheild(same for up-B)
Jump cancel up smash and jump cancel up b's can be done frame 1 of jump squat animation. This saves the 11 frames of shield drop animation. Up-b can also be performed at frame 4 of normal jump oos. which is also multiple frames faster then just inputting up-b.

Last edited:

leejaybird

Smash Cadet
NNID
leejaybird
You don't have to jump out of shield to perform Up B. Just do it like a smash attack and flick the left stick up. Tilting doesn't work.

Lypion

Smash Cadet
Jump cancel up smash and jump cancel up b's can be done frame 1 of jump squat animation. This saves the 11 frames of shield drop animation.
Do you have to use the c-stick to jump cancel the upsmash then? Because otherwise you'd do an shorthop aerial no?

CruS

Smash Rookie
Are you saying I should be "jump -> upb" instead of just upB oos? I didn't know that!

Lypion

Smash Cadet
Are you saying I should be "jump -> upb" instead of just upB oos? I didn't know that!
only if you have tap jump off. otherwise you have to cancel the shielddrop animation with jump yeah

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
You don't have to jump. Up B and up smash out of shield have been changed in Ultimate so that you don't have to if you smash the stick up.

12Tables

Smash Rookie
You don't have to jump out of shield to perform Up B. Just do it like a smash attack and flick the left stick up. Tilting doesn't work.
I'll have to try that when I do some training tomorrow. I'll see what I can find out with frame data.

Top Bottom