• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Of Michigan Brawl 2!!! 03-13-10

DerkTheJerk

Smash Journeyman
BEST OF MICHIGAN BRAWL TOURNEY 2!!! 03-13-10

* Registration Fees
Melee Singles: 10$
Melee Doubles: 10$ Per Person
Brawl Singles 10$
Brawl Doubles 10$ per person
Venue 5$

Venue will be waived if full Setup is brought (Tv,Wii,Brawl Copy)

* TIME

March 13th 1pm-9:30
BRAWL DOUBLES: 1pm-4:30
BRAWL SINGLES: 5pm-9pm
MELEE SINGLES: 7pm-9pm
MELEE DOUBLES: 1pm-3pm
(KICK OUT 10pm)

MT.OLIVE BAPTIST CHURCH
424 Kennelworth Avenue
Flint, MI 48503
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=F...3.008245&longitude=-83.677471&geocode=ADDRESS

* Rules For Brawl Singles and Doubles

SBR Rule Set
3 stock
8 minute timer
Items = Off/None
Best 2/3 in tournament
Best 3/5 in Finals
Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.
If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.
Team attack set to ON

* Stages (Stirke Out system will be used)

Neutral
Final Destination
Smashville
Battlefield
Yoshi's Island
Pokémon Stadium 1

* Counterpick

Castle Siege
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Brinstar
Delfino
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Pictochat
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise
Norfair

* Banned

Everything else

* Prize for singles and doubles

1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%

MELEE
Venue Fee: $5
Singles: $10
Teams: $10 per person

Payout
1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%

4 Stock
8 Minute timer
Items are set to "off"
Team Attack ON for teams
Wobbling is allowed
Ice Climbers Freeze Glitch is banned
Techniques such as Jigglypuff's rising pound or Peach's wall bomber are permitted only for recovery purposes, but banned for any stalling purposes.

-No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players

-Players may choose to have a double-blind pick for the first match (telling someone what character they'll be picking that is not their opponent), Basically how this works is you have a person not playing come over and you tell them who you will be picking, then after that your opponent will tell the same person who they will be picking, after this both player will pick the character they have said to the agreed personel. Failure to pick the character they were supposed to will result in a forfeit of match one.

-Controller Port disputes are settled via Rock Paper scissors. In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.

-Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

-Players are allowed to ban ONE stage before the first match. Whether it be neutral or a counterpick stage is up to them.

-After match one. The loser will pick their counter-pick stage. immediately after the winner will choose their character. and then the loser can choose theirs. The winner cannot switch upon seeing the loser's character selection.

-"Coaching" (the act of telling a friend what to do in a tournament situation) is not allowed DURING a match. You can however give them advice inbetween matches (like where to counterpick, what they're doing wrong, etc.).

Starter Stages:
Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams (not in teams)
Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
Past Stages: Dream Land
Special Stages: Final Destination
Special Stages: Battlefield
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stages:
Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
Dream Land: Green Greens (not in teams)
DK Island: Jungle Japes
F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City (not in teams)
Kanto Skies: Poke Floats
Lylat System: Corneria
Planet Zebes: Brinstar
Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
You have this down for brawl and melee

is it actuallly (sicne you have no rules for it)

IrisKong

Smash Lord
LoL..I will try to come, but I hope you decide to take some of those CP's off. Mainly Distant Planet and Green Greens

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
sounds hype. you should just put what the stages are not like were they're from.

Boxxy

Smash Lord
i'd probably get rid of those two (or picto and norfair) also.

i'll probably be able to come to this

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
**** yes! The last one was mad fun. Maybe I'll save some of the tournament money I won today to go to this, but honestly I'm not sure atm.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Get rid of Norfair, Japes, and Pokemon Stadium 2 and let me organize and run a Smash64 side tourney and I might come.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Notra, you're the only person in MI who likes Japes and it's only because it's Falco's best stage. The rest of the state has an overwhelming majority against it.

****ing get over it.

Notra

Smash Ace
japes isn't my #1 cp. If u ever played me or took the effort to study your opponents u might know, not that I'd expect that from u, gates.

Not that I like it, it's that my char does, as well as dk and lucario. So since only 6 ppl play those chars.(notra, ham, jbird, demp, wtp, vert. They all play falco, dk, or lucario. But I bet u didn't think of that. + rofa likes jj as a cp) means it should be banned? No. And let's not get rude about this. Keep it classy. Notra can be ghetto if he wants.

If dumb****s wanna keep complaining about meta, then they should prob worry about how meta has 3 cp lvls and other chars like falco usually have 1. Which thus can be banned.

Now I don't care about the lvls vs soviet or gates. I don't need a lvl for them. Just for ppl lik judge, ding, omni. The ppl I rly wanna play, and do well vs. It's dumb when those who put barely any effort into brawl decide the cps.

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
Not that I like it it's that my char does, as well as dk and lucario. So since only three ppl main that char means it should be banned? No. And let's not get rude about this. Keep it classy. Notra can be ghetto if he wants.

If dumb****s wanna keep complaining about meta, then they should prob worry about how meta has 3 cp lvls and falco usually has 1. Which thus can be banned.

Now I don't care about the lvls vs soviet or gates. I don't need a lvl for them. Just for ppl lik judge, ding, omni. The ppl I rly wanna play, and do well vs. It's dumb when those who put barely any effort into brawl decide the cps.
I see your fitting in well at failazona.

Notra

Smash Ace
Nah brah. Haven't brawled yet. And Ty ankoku.

I can say that at least soviet is putting in more effort toward brawl. Unlike some fail shotcallers.

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
Nah brah. Haven't brawled yet. And Ty ankoku.

I can say that at least soviet is putting in more effort toward brawl. Unlike some fail shotcallers.
I'd say I put a good amount of effort.

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
Well I mean weve played the same ppl and everything. So if u gave full effort ud be even with me...
good is diff then full. and the period were I stopped playing brawl (jan-july 2009) you were sharpening that wifi falco.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
japes isn't my #1 cp. If u ever played me or took the effort to study your opponents u might know, not that I'd expect that from u, gates.
lol I study the characters, not the players.

Not that I like it, it's that my char does, as well as dk and lucario. So since only 6 ppl play those chars.(notra, ham, jbird, demp, wtp, vert. They all play falco, dk, or lucario. But I bet u didn't think of that. + rofa likes jj as a cp) means it should be banned? No.
I remembered Ham after I posted it actually, so I'll give you that one; I didn't know jbird was MI lol so you got that one too; I don't know who Demp is; WTP quit; Vert can still use Snake on a stage to win (he *****es about Dedede but Falco can **** Dedede on any stage); and I didn't know about Rofa but he uses MK who has every stage in the game as a viable counterpick.

If dumb****s wanna keep complaining about meta, then they should prob worry about how meta has 3 cp lvls and other chars like falco usually have 1. Which thus can be banned.
Who was complaining about MK? And Falco has 2 counterpicks, Japes and FD. He also does fine on all the other neutral stages except MAYBE Yoshi's.

First of all, I'd be shocked if you actually did care about me since even if my Dedede was good it's still a nearly unwinnable matchup for him. Second, do you really think it would make that much of a difference if you played judge's MK on Japes or on FD? Likely not, MK can be gay on Japes too. Or lain's ICs? He only needs so much space to chaingrab you.

I'm gonna say right now, if anyone takes me to Japes in tourney I'm running the time.

I see your fitting in well at failazona.
This basically sums up what I wanted to say.

Oh, was that directed towards me?

lol u mad.

That a be cool as a side tourney I guess... Make sure u post the rules that way i can put em on the Flyer
k, I'll be doing Standard Isai rules.

Entry fee: $? ($3-5)
Double Elimination
Best of 3 (Finals best of 5)
5 stock
10 minute time limit (may or may not be enforced)
All items off and item spawn frequency set to "None"
Team Attack on (doubles, if we do it)
Life-stealing allowed (doubles)
A stage can be picked more than once in a single match, but no stage can be picked two games in a row unless both players agree to it.
First game of each set must be played on Hyrule Castle unless both players agree to another stage.
Edgecamping is not allowed, not that it's effective in this game anyway.
Dave's Stupid Rule: You cannot counterpick a stage you have already won on.

Counterpicks:
Congo Jungle
Dream Land
Hyrule Castle
Peach's Castle
Saffron City

NOTES ON CONSOLES: This tournament will be using both the N64 version and the Wii Virtual Console version if possible. If you have a setup for either, bring it. If you have an extra N64 controller, it is advised that you bring it. BYOC will not apply to the N64 console for this tourney due to the rarity of fully functional N64 controllers. However, each person must bring their own Gamecube controller in the event that a match it to be played on a VC setup. I'm pretty sure everyone who plays Smash has a GCN controller so this shouldn't be a problem.

CONFIRMED SETUPS:
Gates - Wii (Smash64 VC)
Gio? - N64 SSB?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I still don't get what's wrong with Japes. It's a solid counterpick that a small set of characters do significantly better on but don't quite have auto-wins, and there aren't any random events in it, unlike other counterpicks like Frigate Orpheon, Pictochat, and Halberd. I'm not the type to counterpick stages much, and I don't really like Ohio's huge stagelist, but I don't quite agree with practically limiting every game to starters and borderline starters, either.

Notra

Smash Ace
Iris if fd is my only cp, then someone will ban it. And it's not about falco being ok on a stAge but excelling. It's my cp.

And unlike u, I don't put players on an unreachable lvl above me. I just take them by steps. And I don't lose bad too any of them. Infact it's close.

And WTF does studying chars do? And dedede vs falco isNt even close to as bad as u think. U just dont know how to pressure the individual falco. Knowing match ups is good, but knowing ppl is better.

And I actually wanna play lain, and if I had a cp I'd be japes. Cause if u didn't notice it's hard to catch my falco.

And like I said, don't why ppl wanna troll hard just now.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Short answer: It's gay.

Long answer:
  • Ridiculously high ceiling makes killing off the top too **** hard for lots of characters which puts many characters at a disadvantage since they rely on killing off the top.
  • Any character with a relatively lagless spike (ie. Falco, Diddy, ROB, Kirby, Olimar, Charizard, DK, Wolf, Falcon, Ganon, Samus), on the other hand, is given a ridiculous advantage because of the **** water.
  • Any character with a crappy recovery is basically forced to stay upstream so they don't get caught in the water and killed. This is an inherent positional disadvantage meaning that the character can essentially already be losing depending on where they randomly spawn.
  • Klaptraps = Easy kills for anyone who can get their opponent under the stage via a spike, semi spike, Dedede's dthrow, etc. at a certain point in time.
  • Some characters can abuse the platform layout ridiculously well. I don't just mean Falco, though he can definitely do it best. Donkey Kong, Samus, Falcon, and I think Bowser are also characters who people know can take advantage of the stage's platforms and use them to get around more easily with their upBs. But did you also know it can be done really easily with Metaknight? MK can do ridiculous things like platform-canceling Drill Rush, Tornadoing too and from the ledges, Dimensional Cape nonsense, etc. I'm sure Wolf can scar on these ledges though I haven't tested it (JCav wuld know). Sheik could do vanish tricks on this stage in Melee but in Brawl she can do chain tricks too. Sonic has good enough recovery that he should be able to abuse this too. I don't even want to think about Wario. This video sums it up pretty well. Basically everything in it except for the obvious stuff that's not in Brawl (wavedashing, l-canceling, Mewtwo, etc.) can all still be done in Brawl.
  • It's gay.

It's not that a small set of characters do better on it, it's that a much larger set of characters to absolutely terrible on it. If Japes is legal against any one of the characters who have a large advantage on it, the other player will almost always have to ban Japes instead of whatever they were going to ban against them. This means playing against Metaknight on Brinstar, Falco on Final Destination, Marth on Battlefield, Pikachu on Final Destination, Kirby on Pictochat, Lucario on Final Destination or Pictochat, or some other horribly unfavorable situation. Aside from Norfair, Japes is probably the most complained about semi-legal stage in Brawl.

Just ban it.

Please.

inb4 "cool story bro" and "yo Gates I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish, but you suck and nobody respects your opinions" and other personal attacks, which seems to be a majority of Notra's argument.

And unlike u, I don't put players on an unreachable lvl above me. I just take them by steps. And I don't lose bad too any of them. Infact it's close.
Are you still talking to Iris or me? If it's me, then, um, idk what to say really. I'm the worst player in MI and everyone knows it, so of course I'm going to think they're on an unreachable level above me. The only person who lives >20 minutes away from me that I can practice against is Vert, whose Snake I know I can beat and whose Falco I haven't played nor do I want to.

And WTF does studying chars do? And dedede vs falco isNt even close to as bad as u think. U just dont know how to pressure the individual falco. Knowing match ups is good, but knowing ppl is better.
Notra, between April - October 2009 I played a decent Falco on almost a daily basis. Not the best I've ever seen and not as good as you, but still really good. This guy has been my friend since middle school and I've been playing him since the Melee days and doubly so for Brawl. I know his playstyle extremely well to the point where, unless it was something I've never seen before ever, nothing he did would really surprise me. I knew this person's playstyle almost as well as I knew my own.

Guess how many times I beat his Falco with my Dedede?

Maybe 10 matches out of hundreds.

Ask any Dedede what his worst matchup is and they will either say Falco or Ice Climbers. This applies even to pro Dededes like CO18 and Seibrik. Falco has a ridiculous numbers of tools to deal with Dedede - He outcamps him, he gets 60 free damage from the chaingrab, his running away game is ridiculous. And what does Dedede have? We can utilt you out of your sideB and backthrow you? The matchup is laughable.

Knowing individual players is only important at extremely high levels of play, which I am lightyears away from reaching. By your logic, I should be able to beat ICs with Ganon as long as I know the other player well enough, which, thought not statistically impossible, is absurd.

When you put an ice cube into a cup of hot coffee in an area at room temperature, there is a chance of the cold from the ice transferring to the coffee and freezing it instead of the hot coffee just melting the ice. However, the probability of this happening is so infinitesimally small, you would need an amount of time equal to several times the age of the universe to actually observe the phenomenon happening. That is roughly how likely Dedede is to win against Falco.

And I actually wanna play lain, and if I had a cp I'd be japes. Cause if u didn't notice it's hard to catch my falco.
It's hard to catch Falco period. He has a get out of jail free card against every situation and it's name is sideB.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Uhh, sounds like a counterpick stage to me. : \
Is there a reason why the person counterpicking shouldn't have a distinct advantage when doing so? You're given a stage ban to avoid anything too extreme, after all.

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
Short answer: It's gay.

Long answer:
  • Ridiculously high ceiling makes killing off the top too **** hard for lots of characters which puts many characters at a disadvantage since they rely on killing off the top.
  • Any character with a relatively lagless spike (ie. Falco, Diddy, ROB, Kirby, Olimar, Charizard, DK, Wolf, Falcon, Ganon, Samus), on the other hand, is given a ridiculous advantage because of the **** water.
  • Any character with a crappy recovery is basically forced to stay upstream so they don't get caught in the water and killed. This is an inherent positional disadvantage meaning that the character can essentially already be losing depending on where they randomly spawn.
  • Klaptraps = Easy kills for anyone who can get their opponent under the stage via a spike, semi spike, Dedede's dthrow, etc. at a certain point in time.
  • Some characters can abuse the platform layout ridiculously well. I don't just mean Falco, though he can definitely do it best. Donkey Kong, Samus, Falcon, and I think Bowser are also characters who people know can take advantage of the stage's platforms and use them to get around more easily with their upBs. But did you also know it can be done really easily with Metaknight? MK can do ridiculous things like platform-canceling Drill Rush, Tornadoing too and from the ledges, Dimensional Cape nonsense, etc. I'm sure Wolf can scar on these ledges though I haven't tested it (JCav wuld know). Sheik could do vanish tricks on this stage in Melee but in Brawl she can do chain tricks too. Sonic has good enough recovery that he should be able to abuse this too. I don't even want to think about Wario. This video sums it up pretty well. Basically everything in it except for the obvious stuff that's not in Brawl (wavedashing, l-canceling, Mewtwo, etc.) can all still be done in Brawl.
  • It's gay.

It's not that a small set of characters do better on it, it's that a much larger set of characters to absolutely terrible on it. If Japes is legal against any one of the characters who have a large advantage on it, the other player will almost always have to ban Japes instead of whatever they were going to ban against them. This means playing against Metaknight on Brinstar, Falco on Final Destination, Marth on Battlefield, Pikachu on Final Destination, Kirby on Pictochat, Lucario on Final Destination or Pictochat, or some other horribly unfavorable situation. Aside from Norfair, Japes is probably the most complained about semi-legal stage in Brawl.

Just ban it.

Please.

inb4 "cool story bro" and "yo Gates I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish, but you suck and nobody respects your opinions" and other personal attacks, which seems to be a majority of Notra's argument.
nah dont ban it.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Uhh, sounds like a counterpick stage to me. : \
Is there a reason why the person counterpicking shouldn't have a distinct advantage when doing so? You're given a stage ban to avoid anything too extreme, after all.
And Japes is TOO EXTREME. That's what I'm saying. People will almost always ban it.

nah dont ban it.
Did you really have to quote the whole post for that? Come on man, seriously.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Sounds like a personal problem. Rainbow Cruise and Frigate Orpheon have typically felt more extreme to me.

Top Bottom