• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best N64 Controller to Buy for Online PC Use?

Akhilles

Smash Rookie
Hello!

I'm pretty new to the scene here and am trying to get involved. I play lots of Smash 64 with friends in my apartment building while in med school, and want to start playing online. I was looking to see what controller you guys recommend for use while connected to my PC. I was thinking to buy the Mayflash USB adapter, but read in a thread previously that it commonly has problems with project64k (Don't quote me on that, just remember reading it somewhere). I wouldn't mind buying that and using it if it works well, but even then, where can I buy reliable, new N64 controllers nowadays? If the Mayflash USB converter is out of the question (or not the best option) which USB controller should I look into. I am extremely sorry if this has already been explained somewhere, but I had not noticed. Excited to join and be part of the community. So far with what I've read around here you guys seem to be very kind and cordial and that is extremely nice to find in a community.

P.S. I have Project64k Version 0.13 Core 1.4 and have used netplay before. Is there a newer/better version to use. Also do y'all have any tips on reducing latency?

Thanks!
Akhilles

D

Deleted member

I thought I already answered this but I don't recommend anything other than an original N64 controller no matter what.

Last edited by a moderator:

freekazoid

Smash Cadet
Recommended
Nintendo 64 Controller*
Hori Mini Pad Controller
GameCube Controller (Partially recommended)

Hori made GameCube Controllers (Both have two Z Buttons) (I trust Hori)
Hori GameCube Controller
Hori Wii Battle Pad Classic Controller (Raphnet will make an adapter for it if you ask probably, he's a nice guy)

Outside the box (but worth a try)
Xbox Controllers
Dreamcast Controllers
Wii Classic/Pro Controllers
Playstation Controllers
3rd Party N64 Controllers
3rd Party Controllers of any configuration lol

Good Luck!

And I have a thread about the best Adapters here

http://smashboards.com/threads/raphnet-vs-mayflash-for-netplay.425047/

Last edited:
Top Bottom