• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Best mario rpg??

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
That's just so hard...Paper Mario is AMAZING but...RPG was quite revolutionary. I think I'll go with SMRPG just for the nostalgia. Oh and for this song:

[yt]iijdWiQppq0[/yt]

Marth307

Smash Journeyman
Ya out of the paper marios the 64 is my fav but luigi doesn't get lightining hands in it xD which is why superstar is my favorite

@ above...i like this song :)

mystery_dungeon

Smash Journeyman
Sidemoon Sidemoon. Welc welc ome welc omeome.
Do I have to choose? :(

Oh alright...

To me, I find Paper Mario to be the best Mario rpg. I really liked the badge system in the game, as it adds strategy to it. I also liked that it was more limited in how many you can use unlike the sequel. (Not bashing TYD here. I just think 30 is better than 99 as far as badge usage go. Makes you think which ones you want to use.)

Though I also like Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga. (If only to play both of the Bros.)

Marth307

Smash Journeyman
Just played SMRPG on zsnes(emulator) its ok...but i perfer Paper mario 64 waaaaaay more its like mystery dungeon says the badge system is just right and adds a strtegic element.I also like all the unique dungeons and stages you get to play through.My favorite being the Boo valley/Mansion.Your little sidekick guys are also best in 64 :D

-Edit-
Any really good rpgs on gba other than superstar saga???

finalark

SNORLAX
-Edit-
Any really good rpgs on gba other than superstar saga???
Are we just talking about Mario? Because if we are then no.

If you mean RPGs in general...

Golden Sun, Breath of Fire, Final Fantasy, Fire Emblem, Pokemon R/S/E/FR/LG, Phantasy Star...

Need I go on?

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
This is a tough one. With video games before deciding which ones I like best I focus on two criteria:

1.) How was the game the first time I played it through? This is a great question because once you beat a game you will never experience it the same way you did the 1st time because it was all new.

2.) How likely am I to play the game again after beating it the 1st time, or even a 2nd time?

In regards to the first question SMRPG Legend of the 7 Stars and the first Paper Mario on N64 were awsome hands down. Legend of the 7 Stars was the toughest game for me as a child back in the day. Bosses such as Bowyer, The Axem Rangers, and even the Brundt Cake were challenging. I probabally would have had a hard time with Jonathon Johnny Jones and the Yardovich had I been able to figure out the PEARLS puzzle. I ended up training my lineup and beefing up their power levels until my brother solved it for me. There are just too many memories with Legend of the 7 Stars and a ton of great bosses.

As for the First Paper Mario on N64 I spent several summer nights in 2002 staying up all night trying to get as far as I could before I had to turn the game back to the video game store. My mom would yell at me to go to bed. It was an addicting game and I had a great time navigating worlds and battling enemies. Collecting star pieces and aquiring badges was also fun along with delivering mail.

Overall both games are tied hands down as the best for first time run throughs. I wasn't into the other ones as much.

As for playing these games a second time I sort of like Legend of the 7 Stars more. I think it's because of the storylines of a multitude of characters. I also like the 3 on 5 battles better than the 2 on 5's. Legend of the 7 Stars was much harder for me. I kind of want to play it again.

Uh oh.. I wrote a novel again. My vote goes to Legend of The 7 Stars for best Mario RPG game with Paper Mario a close second.

Marth307

Smash Journeyman
Uh oh.. I wrote a novel again. My vote goes to Legend of The 7 Stars for best Mario RPG game with Paper Mario a close second.
lol long posts=better
and when i said rpgs on gba i meant other than mario xD I've beaten both golden sun games all the ff remakes(other than III i have no ds :( ) havent played fire emblem though is it like a remake of the first or what??never knew much other than marth was in it :awesome:

Marth307

Smash Journeyman
I think as far as the paper marios go the 64 one was the best,but tyd is a close second the wii one doesnt come close to the other ones

BSP

Smash Legend
I'm going to go with Thousand year door with PM64, Superstar Saga, and SM:RPG all right behind. They're all great though.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
The Thousand Year Door was fun as well. I think I would have enjoyed it more when I was younger though because I would have had more time to play it. I got busy in high school and had a lot going on when it came out.

As far as i remember it wasn't all that hard. I lost only one life going into the robot boss (or the one the Xaunit was using, I don't remember) I lost that life in the flower land when a sleeping, charged flower enemy took 20 damage off me. I totally didn't see it coming. No wonder the game made it to where I got to attack it 3 times before it attacked. It was just a regular enemy too, not a boss. Strangley I only came across one of these once.

I still have yet to beat this game. I'm still at the robot part actually. I was waiting for a ride in the middle of the battle and didn't get a chance to save. I haven't played it since then, and that was May 18, 2006.

Oh, and who can forget Rawk Hawk. Awsome character.

I think because I haven't played it through is was The Thousand Year Door isn't at the top of my list, but it is a great game.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Hard to choose. I love the Paper Mario series (I even have made a website solely because I love it) and Super Mario RPG. I was never too fond of the Mario & Luigi series... I haven't played Superstar Sega yet.

Thousand Year Door all the way. I got it the first day it came out when I was a youngster and beaten it over 15 times. Heart. :3

Marth307

Smash Journeyman
Hard to choose. I love the Paper Mario series (I even have made a website solely because I love it) and Super Mario RPG. I was never too fond of the Mario & Luigi series... I haven't played Superstar Sega yet.

Thousand Year Door all the way. I got it the first day it came out when I was a youngster and beaten it over 15 times. Heart. :3
Superstar saga is the only good m&l game the ds ones suck unfortunatley :(

And i find SMRPG pretty boring too actually nothing really beat PM:64 it was just so epic...People like Tubba Blubba scared the **** outta me when i was like 6 XD it just made the game so much fun for me i think PM64 was the first game i pulled an allnighter on because i got lost in that ****ing dessert and just HAD to find the dry dry ruins :awesome:

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
☯ I can't really decide which one I like best between TTYD or Mario & Luigi SSS. I completed both those games above 20 times... I lost count. XD

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
I got SMRPG on my Wii a while ago. I didn't think it was very fun, and got bored of it pretty quickly. The graphics were ugly as sin and the battle system seemed very bare bone compared to the other Mario RPGs. Music was great though.

Thousand Year Door is probably the best Mario RPG I've played, followed closely by Superstar Saga.

Ultimatium

Smash Rookie
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.

This one had a great storyline, and one of the few NGC games that were memorizeable.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.

This one had a great storyline, and one of the few NGC games that were memorizeable.
I think you meant 'memorable,' because I'm pretty sure it would be impossible to memorize all that text.

Even then you're wrong, GC had plenty of memorable games.

Marth307

Smash Journeyman
^^ Melee anybody?lol Kirby airride,Mario sunshine,luigis Mansion,Mario kart double dash,metroid Prime(s) all kickass and thats just a few

Top Bottom