• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best low tier in melee?

Best Low Tier in melee? (In your opinion) (F and G tier)

• Mr. Game and Watch

• Roy

• Mewtwo

• Zelda

• Ness

• Pichu

• Bowser

• Kirby

Results are only viewable after voting.

MrElephant017

Smash Rookie
Since the tier list has'nt been updated much lately i just wanna see what everyone thinks.

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
I like how 6 votes have been cast so far and each one has been different lol. :ultness:

GhostM

Phantom
This is an interesting question, since I don't agree with the tier list placings for the low tiers, and the rest of the cast. I don't believe that Kirby is the worst character in the game simply because he has decent moves such as utilt and bair to poke/combo characters, and not to forget to forget uair, which is really good for sending opponents offstage. I would honestly revise the tier list since it has been 4 years since the last one was created.

In my personal opinion, I believe that Roy is the best low tier out of all of them simply because of his movement and somewhat similarities towards Marth. This was a struggle for me since I also believe that Ness is a lot better than what his placings put him as, since moves like fair and bair are extremely good for spacing and pressuring, and his grab game which helps his combo potential. DJC helps Ness a lot, and actually makes him into a decent character, although I tend to whiff moves when doing DJC's.

One thing I can see why people would place him lower is because of his weakness to crouch cancelling and his large sourspot hitboxes, which has little knockback and can allow others to easily punish him for moves like fair if performed incorrectly. I feel like this is a difficult weakness to overcome, but enough practice will allow you to fully utilize Roy's sweetspot hitboxes that are extremely good for combos. Moves such as dtilt, nair, and fsmash are good options to rack up decent percent/kill. Roy's recovery is also easy to gimp, but can actually be angled by performing his normal UpB and moving the left stick towards left/right that can increase his horizontal recovery range instead of his normal vertical recovery. I know this is long, but this again is my personal opinion. Been playing a lot of Roy as a secondary character, and he's a fun character to me. Other characters like Link are great as well, but this thread is focusing on low tiers.

Perfect Garret

Smash Rookie
I don't use the others that much, Zelda is pretty strong in the right hands. Her neutral game I like. Her forward b can be quite deadly if you use it right.

CbM_

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1723-7582-5511
Mewtwo vs Spacies is a really viable counterpick imo. M2 also doesnt really lack counterplay of ccing which roy, GaW and literally every lowtier has. Kirby lacks options, Ness lacks speed, kill power, juggles(except for spacies), Bowser lacks neutral (and punish game isnt that great either), pichu is also kinda good imo (at least he can combo and he doesnt have bad neutral) and his edgeguarding is good... lack of damage holds him back tho

CbM_

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1723-7582-5511
but i can see GaW performing good against mid level of play

Last edited:

BRUHMONIUM

Smash Rookie
game and watch, mewtwo, Zelda, bowser, and roy can all do really well in the right hands. I saw a bowser four stock a fox once.

Another Player

Smash Apprentice
I have to be that person asking if you intend on using them in a major tournament with a God or two present? I go among as many characters as possible casually. Even if we all agreed one of them is the best it doesn't prevent us from using the other low tier characters.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Mewtwo is a class cannon under the right hands. That could be said for Mewtwo in any of the Smash games though.

Last edited:

EpicNoob

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
4534-6472-5030
I myself main mid/low mid tier characters, but I chose game and watch. I feel like he has a lot of potential.

Top Bottom