• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Ground and Air Game in your opinion?

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Question is simple, which character has the best air game, which character has the best ground game?
In my opinion...
Best ground: :4diddy:,:4littlemac: or :4sheik:
Best Air: :4cloud2:,:4mewtwo:,:4luigi:, or :4bayonetta2:

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
I'd say for ground game it's a toss up between Diddy, Little Mac, and Luigi. All of their tilts can be pretty useful in one way or another.

For airgame I would say Cloud, for sure. Every single one of his aerials has a ton of usefulness (especially his up-air) and if his air game wasn't as good as it is, he wouldn't be so dominant in the competitive meta. Cloud's gameplan centers on his aerial combos (and using Limit.)

Last edited:

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
I'd say :4villager: has a pretty strong air game. :4jigglypuff: was intended to, but I'm not sure how well that worked out...

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
I'd say :4villager: has a pretty strong air game. :4jigglypuff: was intended to, but I'm not sure how well that worked out...
If this was 2015 or early 2016 I would say Villager definitely has one of the best, as for jigglypuff...For a low tier, yes her air game is quite strong, but as anything else it just can't do all that much compared to a lot of the others.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
Aside from Little Mac, :4fox: has it covered in multiple areas when it comes to a good ground game.

His excellent ground speed allows for him to take stage positioning much easier then most characters. His top notch frame data with above average hitboxes can lead into damaging combos such as Jab, Dash Attack and Up-tilt, able to put and keep hist opponent in a bad position.

Honorable mentions to :4falcon:,:4feroy: & :4sonic:.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Ground game is between Sheik and Diddy, both are excellent. After all the nerfs I would lean toward Diddy. Mewtwo’s, Fox’s and Greninja’s are very good as well. Mac lacks projectiles (or something stupid like Limit) which denies him the ability to freely disengage his opponent and retain any ability to build damage, or to force approaches at all. He also has terrible SH aerials (which are absolutely part of ground game) and tilts that aren’t as conversion-friendly, though in fairness he doesn’t need much more than Dtilt to Up B.

The best air game definitely goes to Bayo, with Sheik and Cloud a fair bit behind but a fair bit ahead of everyone else.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
That depends on what you mean by "ground" and "air" game. I think when it comes to air, you'd have to look for things like air speed and acceleration, fall speed, and gravity. Characters like Wario and Jigglypuff, for example, move fluidly. The latter isn't even a decent character, however.

Routa

Smash Lord
This is rather tough question.
Some characters are far better than others in very specific area of the ground/air game. For example Mario may not have best air game or ground game, but he most likely has best options to deal with aerial combat from the ground.

If I had to name characters with best ground game... I would name Fox and Diddy.
Diddy has his way to destroy opponents ground game with banana and excellent ground mobility. He can easily bait out options and punnish them ease. He might have not the greatest reward, but his ability to force his opponent to play certain way and ability to control space is something els.
Fox' situation is very similar. Main difference is that he has ability to "force" his opponents to do unfavorable options which lead to big punishes from a simple Utilt or Nair. Add to that his amazing pressure with vis amazing movement and very threatening Bair.

As for air game... I would say Mario.
I bet a lot of you are going to disagree with me, but hear mii out (Haaa... pretty funny). Why Luigi's air game is so great? Opressive framedata and high damage output. But he still lacks very important attribute which is air mobility. This is where Mario comes into play. High air mobility, ability to weave in and out, opressive framedata, high damage output and decent ability to kill from air. His only drawback to his brother is weaker damage output, but ability to get in and out makes up for it. People tend to forget his juggles and crossups.

Last edited:
Top Bottom