• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best edge guarder in melee?

G3TL05T

Smash Cadet
Who is truly the best edge guarder in melee, and who else comes close? I always here that Marth and Sheik, as well as the space animals are very good, but what about Pikachu?

Xyzz

Smash Champion
It depends a lot on what character is to be edgeguarded (Sheik is really good in general, but is rather bad at keeping Yoshi off the level (not that it was necessary for her to win or anything. It's just pretty hard to do), the exact recovery options available to the character in the given situation (e.g. if Doc is high enough to throw pills and delay around a little, he's really hard to edgeguard. If he has to up b, he's bad), and the players in question (e.g. M2k is better at edgeguarding than KK).
So a general statement isn't too helpful, i guess...

Let's just say that all the top tiers are pretty good at it. If I had to pick one, it'd be Sheik.

G3TL05T

Smash Cadet
Well, since I'm a Marth player, who edgeguards Marth easily, and who does he have trouble against?

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
I think Sheik is the best at edgeguarding. She has needles, great range on her aerials, especially B-air, and falls fairly slow so she can almost always commit to an edgeguard and make it back to the ledge safely. She can also use D-smash by the edge, which covers many options. I suggest watching how Mew2King edgeguards with Sheik to get a better understanding of what I'm trying to say..

Sheik is really good in general, but is rather bad at keeping Yoshi off the level
Well, if Yoshi is at a low percent then no one can really stop him from coming back onstage. In general though, Sheik does a better job at edgeguarding him than most.

Well, since I'm a Marth player, who edgeguards Marth easily, and who does he have trouble against?
I'm going to sound biased when I say this, but I really think Yoshi is one of the top 3 characters in the game at edgeguarding Marth. ECEs on the edge cover literally all of his recovery options, and whether he's recovering low or high he'll either get hit by an egg and N-aired back offstage or simply N-aired. At the same time, Marth has trouble edgeguarding him unless he gets a tipper because his untippered moves won't break his superarmor until really high percents.

Marth also has trouble edgeguarding floaty characters like Peach and Jigglypuff, as does everyone else. Mewtwo is also hard for him as his horizontal air speed and recovery are both among the best in the game, and he can grab the ledge with teleport quickly and from many different angles.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Marth has both a really good and really awful recovery at the same time. In general, you want to watch out for people who simply grab the edge; if you can sweetspot your upb, there isn't anything some characters to can do besides take the edge. Also, by taking the edge any character can force you to upb onto the stage and then hit you with whatever move they like. Marth definitely has some tricks though, and a marth who saves his double jump is hard to kill.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Puff is the best imo.

Marth and Sheik are also very strong edgeguarders, they both somewhat suffer against characters that can recover high well. Characters that come to mind is peach, puff, samus etc.

Their edgeguards are so strong vs characters like fox/falco/sheik because they can cover 2-3 options at a time.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Well, if Yoshi is at a low percent then no one can really stop him from coming back onstage. In general though, Sheik does a better job at edgeguarding him than most.
Marth F-smash, Peach D-Smash, CF Stomp / Knee are all good tools that get the job done fairly early, and Falcos Shine is just completely ******** :D Sheik doesn't have anything comparable. I think she's mostly good at holding the edge and then reactively bairing people away over and over till they die. Something that just doesn't work with Yoshi (:

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Sheik is the best imo

Puff is actually not that good at edgeguarding in my opinion, esp. not spacies, she's way too slow to cover multiples option and her attacks have mediocre range compared to one's like Sheik's bair.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Every top tier can edge guard well. Am guessing Marth has an edge on others cause of his range, and Jiggs and Peach cause of their aerial mobility. And Sheik for being homosexual :smirk:

Jayk

Smash Apprentice
That doesn't do anything if they sweetspot the ledge, nor if they recover high

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
Marth F-smash, Peach D-Smash, CF Stomp / Knee are all good tools that get the job done fairly early, and Falcos Shine is just completely ******** :D Sheik doesn't have anything comparable. I think she's mostly good at holding the edge and then reactively bairing people away over and over till they die. Something that just doesn't work with Yoshi (:
Those are good examples, but if Yoshi is at a low percent he won't be far offstage so he can avoid Peach's D-smash and Marth's F-smash easier than if he was forced to recover low, which is more likely at higher percents. Falcon's stomp/knee barely breaks the superarmor at around 60-70%, and Falco's shine will always break it but isn't a big problem if Yoshi is over the stage or cancels the double jump right before getting hit to get launched up.

Anyway, I think Sheik is better than those characters at edgeguarding not just because she has powerful moves but because she can cover high and low options more easily and consistently without having to rely on hard reads as much. Peach and Jigglypuff in particular are slow at rising so they can really cover only a high or a low recovery at a time. Marth can cover many options but has trouble keeping floaties offstage.

Watching Axe, I feel that Pikachu's edgeguarding is great with his tailspike and great recovery. He does seem to have just a little trouble edgeguarding floatier characters, but his Thunder reaches high and can possibly net a kill on a floaty with high %.

Phonz

Smash Cadet
I don't understand all the yoshi talk lol I've never seen one or played as one so I don't really understand what makes him hard to edge guard especially considering he has no upB recovery

kalamazhu

Smash Journeyman
Puff is the best imo.

Marth and Sheik are also very strong edgeguarders, they both somewhat suffer against characters that can recover high well. Characters that come to mind is peach, puff, samus etc.

Their edgeguards are so strong vs characters like fox/falco/sheik because they can cover 2-3 options at a time.

marth edgeguards peach super hard idk what ur saying.

samus too probly

D

Deleted member

i agree with sheik being the best. very popular answer.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I think sheik and marth are the best. Sheik can go a bit farther off stage, she has a good edgeguarding projectile, and ledgehop bair regrab is kinda OP. But marth has disjointed hitboxes, counter and a spike so he can potentially kill earlier and "safer".

Fox is kinda high up there, too, just because he can invalidate nearly every recovery in the game by simply cycling shine->bair->dsmash

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
A lot of it depends on match ups and what character you're facing, but generally, I gotta go with Marth. Peach, Sheik, Fox, and Jigglypuff aren't too far behind either.

tera twin

Smash Journeyman
Mario and Dr. Mario 'cause of the cape. Trust me – I've been playing this game with my friends since 2001. :cool:

oliman

Smash Journeyman
People sleep on Falco. His on stage edgeguarding is solid, and there isn't a character that somehow gets around dair edgeguards. He can't go nearly as deep as fox, but he has better range, lasers, and harder hitting moves. Not saying he's #1, but he's not making any lists? Come on, now.

ECEs? Edge-canceled eggs? I've never seen it, but that makes me think yoshi can just egg spam anyone once they get off the edge and always win? except for another yoshi maybe?

I want to say no for Samus. Even though she's really fun. Uptilt, missiles, bombs, charge shot, sex kick to grapple recovery, up+b spike, her off-edge game is where it's at for me.

But then I think, wouldn't needles just be a lot easier? Or turnips and that annoying float..

i mostly posted this because i was curious about yoshi and i wanted to say sex kick.

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
ECEs? Edge-canceled eggs? I've never seen it, but that makes me think yoshi can just egg spam anyone once they get off the edge and always win? except for another yoshi maybe?
A little yes and no. Theoretically, a perfect Yoshi would be able to spam ECEs and RECEs perfectly and constantly bombard offstage opponents with eggs, but it's not foolproof. For one, the eggs won't kill until the opponent is at like 900% and will knock the opponent higher up otherwise. Second, there's also the possibility of the opponent recovering high; in a large stage like Dreamland, Yoshi is unable to throw the eggs high enough from the edge to stop the recoveries of characters like Jigglypuff and Peach. Third, perfect ECEs have one frame of vulnerability, so the opponent has a shot at stopping the egg spam.

Realistically, perfect ECEs and especially RECEs are extremely hard to perform consistently, so the chances of someone taking ~100+% offstage from eggs alone are very slim.

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
Personally, every character has a great edgeguard, if used right.

For example, bowser's edge attack hits oppenents even if they are behind them. Also, luigi's bair, dair, and quick wavedash make him a good edgeguader.

If anyone says otherwise, talk to the fireballs.

D

Deleted member

Bowser just because I like being a sarcastic idiot.

*cough* Sheik *cough*

Bieber

Smash Apprentice
armada is the best edge guarder ever but i think that's mostly due to his precision, not his character

for edgeguarding characters with more limited recoveries like spacies, sheik, marth, and falcon; marth and sheik are probably the best in game, but puff and falco are better at edgeguarding the floatier characters (peach, puff, samus, doc)

overall i'd say falco, his double jump is ridiculous against the floaties (watch how effectively pp edgeguards armada), lasers cover most spacie recovery options, his dair gimps fastfallers pretty well, and his bair is incredible against pretty much the entire cast's recovery

Top Bottom