• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Defensive Characters ?

IFC Jigglypuff

Smash Cadet
I am a very defensive smash player, mainly been playing melee, but was wondering which are the best defensive style characters. don't care how difficult they are to use. thanks in advance. :)

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
I'm an extremely defensive player, so Zelda comes naturally to me. Link and Samus are also very defensive. Basically anyone that plays keep away with projectiles.

D

Deleted member

I don't think high level Link is defensive, he's aggressive while keeping up a wall of projectiles for approaching.

D

Deleted member

look into samus, ivysaur, zelda, olimar, those are your best bets.

menotyou135

Smash Journeyman
Anybody with good projectiles or large disjointed hitboxes are ideal, but I have seen people play defensive with captain falcon.

Ivysaur, mario, zelda, falco, snake, rob, marth, dedede, jigglypuff, peach, olimar, link, toon link, charizard, mewtwo, and ike all have potential to be played very defensively. There are others as well, and really any character can do it if used right. Also defensive play doesn't have to be projectile spam or anything like that. Just well laid zoning.

PajamasM

Smash Cadet
Any character can be defensive, one could argue that characters even known for their offense such as falcon, fox or lucas, can be played to an equal or greater effect by just dash dance camping and spamming projectiles even if the projectiles are weak.

But characters who are particularly known to be effective defensively are: Link, Ivy, Samus, Sheik, Zelda, Peach, Snake, Olimar, and Charizard

They all have good defense, but keep in mind that they all also have good offense, defense isnt the only choice.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
i'd actually argue that captain falcon is secretly a defensive character that disguises himself as an aggressive rushdown one. the ideal falcon style seems to be dashdance camp for a mistake, then punish, or play small hit and run strategies into punishing their decisions in regards to your "pokes". if you just rush in nonstop with falcon, you tend to get stopped at it pretty quickly.

all imo, of course.

JiFoJoka

Smash Cadet
I think defensive and offensive/aggressive are wrong words to use in fighting games as they're too ambiguous.

There are words which can describe different playstyles which can appear offensive and defensive.

:zelda: Zelda and :peach: Peach can be played 'keep-away' with their projectiles and 'floatiness' which make them look defensive. Characters like :squirtle: Squirtle and :sonic: Sonic can be played 'rushdown' due to their agileness which make them look offensive. Both playstyles however can be played offensively and defensively.

On another point, I don't know which character's can be played 'turtling'.

Last edited:
Top Bottom