• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best, cheap PC for Melee Netplay?

Sam'sAwakening

Smash Cadet
I get computers for this kind of stuff aren't cheap, but are there any computers that are good for Melee Netplay that are under $300? (Mostly no lag, I don't care if it'll run widescreen mode)

Last edited:

Pauer

The Pauerful
Depends on whether you want to buy used, refurbished or new. Can recommend this:

Sir_Slice

Smash Cadet
https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/

Dolphin is a dual core application that relies upon IPC (Instructions Per Clock) for performance. Additional cores will not make Dolphin go any faster, though an "extra" core that Dolphin isn’t using may help slightly by keeping background tasks from using the same cores as Dolphin.

• Intel: Newer Core i5 and i7 processors such as the i5-4670K and i5-3570K are extremely fast and very affordable considering their relative power. The K series allows for overclocking, which can further improve the performance of those CPUs. Core i7 variants yield almost no benefit in IPC over the i5s they are based on, so save the cash if you’re building a Dolphin machine. For laptops, you can rely on the i7-4700MQ and i7-4930MX for the absolute best performance. Most games will run very well on any of those processors.

• AMD: Due to very low IPC, AMD CPUs are poor choices for Dolphin. The FX8000 line of processors is the best they have, and even then most of those processors will be around half the speed of the 4670K’s performance with Dolphin.
Note: For more information regarding CPU performance, please checkout this handy benchmark that contains results from tons of users. Just remember that Dolphin is a console emulator: it does what the games instruct it to do. Every game has its own needs and requirements. Some games run well on most modern processors, while others won’t run full speed at all times on even the most powerful of processors.

I'm trying to purchase one as well this is what info I found so far

Last edited by a moderator:

Pauer

The Pauerful
The processors dolphin recommends are way above what you need. To play dolphin in 60fps on any stage with the lowest setting, my mother's i3 530 and the integrated graphics were enough to run dolphin. Kadano got the same results with a slightly less powerful Pentium processor. Faster melee wasn't tested on either.

It is important to note that dolphin can only take advantage of two processor cores but mainly of only one core. Thus the dolphin performance is dictated by high single core performance. Most processors with a clock above 3ghz will do but it's probably best to check a benchmarking site and compare the single core performance to that of a processor that's known to play dolphin or FM, like the ones I'm listing here.

I've been able to play Faster Melee just fine with an i5 760. Kadano had good results with an i5 750.
The i5 2400 processor that is included in the refurbished desktop computer of the video I attached will be more than enough to play regular dolphin and FM.
The integrated graphics should be enough to run both FM and dolphin with the lowest graphics settings but I'm not certain. But if you add a decent graphics card, you've got yourself a 300$ 1080p gaming rig. The channel of the video I posted shows graphic card pairings and benchmarks for them in other videos.

Pauer

The Pauerful
So would something like this let me play FM and play Netplay?
Yes I think so. The integrated graphics should be enough to handle the lowest enhancements settings. I have a similar processor model and the integrated graphics are enough to play FM with some enhancements.

Regarding the other parts, I recommend getting 8gb of RAM. 4gb will be enough though. If you want to upgrade to 8gb, you will most likely have to buy 8gb of RAM as it will probably be hard to find RAM that's compatible with the already installed 4gb RAM sticks. 8gb of DDR3 RAM costs a bit below 40$.
If you have a seperate computer and a USB stick with 8 or more gb of storage, you can make your own Windows 10 installation stick quite easily. You can get a windows 10 pro license for less than 30$ or pirate a cracked windows version.
If you are interested in playing other games, I would consider buying a graphics card as well. Add a 1050 ti and you will be able to play( in 60fps) most games with medium to high settings in 1080p for ~300$.

crazypeople1st

Smash Rookie
Now i can reply,

So yea does it manage to stay at 60fps?
(Dropped frames are so annoying when playing spacies)

Id like to know how sam's awakening got on with his pc, as im also looking to get a no lag pc. (At least due to the pc itself)

Intel i5 2400 FTW? Seen one for 150 quid

Pauer

The Pauerful
So yea does it manage to stay at 60fps?
(Dropped frames are so annoying when playing spacies)

Id like to know how sam's awakening got on with his pc, as im also looking to get a no lag pc. (At least due to the pc itself)
I am quite certain that it will have no problem running dolphin and FM. When I say running FM, I mean 60fps and no frame drops during gameplay.
After all, less powerful processors were able to run it as well like I mentioned. The i5 2400 is almost 50% more powerful than the i5-750 I mentioned above!

I also don't know what you mean about no lag. I haven't looked into it but as far as I know, PCs generally don't have any inherent output lag.

Pauer

The Pauerful
What exactly are you going for? When buying on ebay I would advise to only buy from a reputable seller. Here is quite a good offer for the UK (since you said "quid"). The i5 2500 is the processor I'm using right now myself and it handles FM like a piece of cake. Comes with Windows 7 pro.
Always make sure to look at the video outputs and get a matching cable. Also, most of these PCs don't come with built in WiFi so you'll have to get some WiFi receiver like a USB adapter if you need that.

crazypeople1st

Smash Rookie
What exactly are you going for? When buying on ebay I would advise to only buy from a reputable seller. Here is quite a good offer for the UK (since you said "quid"). The i5 2500 is the processor I'm using right now myself and it handles FM like a piece of cake. Comes with Windows 7 pro.
Always make sure to look at the video outputs and get a matching cable. Also, most of these PCs don't come with built in WiFi so you'll have to get some WiFi receiver like a USB adapter if you need that.
You play on wfif and still get 60fps? Damn, i use a lan connection.

This is the pc i have in mind, what sort of graphic card do you use?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Opti...sh=item58edc52dad:g:aCYAAOSwA3dYe2Do#viTabs_0

Its got space for one, but am thinking of chucking in my r5 230 from the last pc i got.
As for going for id just say a better netplay experience than im currently having, its comforting to know you use a similar pc and it handles it like cake

Pauer

The Pauerful
You play on wfif and still get 60fps? Damn, i use a lan connection.
Playing on Wifi and the framerate aren't really related.
I used to use WiFi but switched to an Ethernet connection. Using WiFi isn't optimal but in my case it was OK. The difference in ping was about 1-2ms most of the time with some slightly larger jumps from time to time. Also, if someone else or some other application used the Internet, the Ethernet connection has much shorter lag spikes when the connection is used. That's the main advantage I think it has.

This is the pc i have in mind, what sort of graphic card do you use?
I personally use a gtx 780 and can play everything I've wanted to play so far with 60+ fps at high or better detail. The processor has so far only been a limiting factor in a few games and only in certain scenarios like having lots of enemies nearby. Since the i5 2400 is very close in terms of power, it should be enough not to bottleneck most graphic cards below 200$.

Its got space for one, but am thinking of chucking in my r5 230 from the last pc i got.
That should guarantee that you can play it with some enhancements. It's not much better than the integrated graphics, but it's an upgrade. If you want to switch out graphic cards in the future, be aware that most graphics cards need 6 pin or 8 pin connectors from the power supply in order to run. That means you'd have to install a new power supply first before upgrading.
The r5 230 doesn't need additional power as far as I can tell. The most powerful cards that also don't need power from the PSU are the GTX 1050, RX460 and GTX 1050 TI. If you want to upgrade, I'd recommend the 1050TI 4gb version. You should be able to run most games at high settings in 1080p with it.

Regarding the Dell you want to buy, it's nice that it has 8gb of RAM. I would be careful since the seller has no return policy. Most sellers have at least a 14 day return policy. However, there is the ebay Money Back Guarantee and you can get the money refunded via PayPal (only if you use it to pay ofc) if there are any problems. From my experience buying used, there usually aren't any problems.

crazypeople1st

Smash Rookie
I personally use a gtx 780 and can play everything I've wanted to play so far with 60+ fps at high or better detail. The processor has so far only been a limiting factor in a few games and only in certain scenarios like having lots of enemies nearby. Since the i5 2400 is very close in terms of power, it should be enough not to bottleneck most graphic cards below 200$.
See i would buy that gpu but im want one with a vga port in the back. Could i use a dvi adapter and i mean one like this...

A cheap round 40 budget is my target for a gpu, dont really play to many graphics heavy games just world of warcraft. I dont mind if it second hand

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/computer-accessories/power-and-cables/computing-cables-and-adaptors/advent-advfvgm12-dvi-f-to-vga-m-adapter-12716772-pdt.html?istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=qattixmw&istBid=tztx&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~1022+(PLA)+PC+COMPONENTS+-+Adaptive~1022+(PLA)+PC+COMPONENTS+-+Adaptive+ad+group~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&kwid=GOOGLE&s_kwcid=DS!700000001428950!146780099246!!!g!!PRODUCT+GROUP&device=c&ds_kids=92700015678259489&PLA=1&gclid=Cj0KEQiA2uDEBRDxurOO77Cp-7kBEiQAOUgKV6MfHI7hRElh7oAqAF3C54ohNc5xoMj0ydnT8IEUajYaAgar8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CPfeyJnW_NECFaylUQodNF0I_Q

Regarding the Dell you want to buy, it's nice that it has 8gb of RAM. I would be careful since the seller has no return policy. Most sellers have at least a 14 day return policy. However, there is the ebay Money Back Guarantee and you can get the money refunded via PayPal (only if you use it to pay ofc) if there are any problems. From my experience buying used, there usually aren't any problems.
I didnt realise that was going for the leap of faith, not to old of a model so it should still run... i hope. Thanks for another tip bro =p

Last edited:

Pauer

The Pauerful
Could i use a dvi adapter and i mean one like this...
Yes you can use an adapter but not the one you linked. You want one with the female end being vga and the male end being dvi. Most adapters that are called dvi to vga adapters are like this anyways. You can double check by looking whether there are holes to screw in the vga cables.

A cheap round 40 budget is my target for a gpu
Not sure whether you're going to find something good for 40 pounds. There are a lot of powerful graphic cards you can get for 40£ but they all require external power and that means at least another 25£ for a decent power supply.
Most graphics cards that don't need external power have a bad price to performance ratio. I would personally only buy either a Gtx 750, 750 ti, rx 460, Gtx 1050 or 1050ti.
I would find it realistic to be able to find a Gtx 750 for 50£ used. Maybe do some research where you can find used computer parts.

crazypeople1st

Smash Rookie
Sound good man, but i think im gonna wait until I get the pc first then see if I need an upgrade. Think my old r5 230 might do me for now. I just want a setup with 1 hd screen and 1 vga crt monitor. As for games if i could pull of f zero gx with no lag id be chuffed, but ill take it or leave it really.

Thanks again for the help will let you know how it works out in a week when i have the PC

crazypeople1st

Smash Rookie
After purchasing this pc and speaking to my ISP, I can say this setup works successfully.

Thanks to Pauer, (Whose actually pretty good at melee) for giving all the intel i needed to get this rig on the run.
I can now netplay whenever i want to, best birthday present ever.

Good luck to all future heads who try to follow this thread, a 2nd gen i5 is about all you need to run most dolphin games.

Last edited:

Kadano

Magical Express
For building new machines (getting a new mainboard with warranty saves a lot of hassle sometimes) the Pentium G4560 and G4600 are great deals. The latter has 3.7 instead of 3.5 GHz clock and a stronger integrated GPU. Both are dual-cores with hyperthreading and have noticeably better single-core performance than the i5-2400 and similar CPUs, while all-around and multithreaded performance is exactly the same as that of i5-2400 (within ±5% depending on the benchmark).

G4560 is 60$/€, G4600 is 90$/€. If you plan on only using the integrated graphics, the G4600 is probably the better choice (essentially twice as much power as the graphics in G4560), but if you plan to buy a graphics card anyway or have an old one you can use, the G4560 saves you quite a bit of money with no loss in performance in Faster Melee.

Pauer

The Pauerful
it is important to note that when buying a motherboard for either of the two cpus mentioned above, you will either have to buy one with a 7th gen chipset (b250 being the cheapest at around 80$) or be sure that a motherboard with a 6th gen chipset (cheapest at around 50$) ships with the latest bios or you ask a local computer store whether they can flash it for you. Otherwise 6th gen chipset mainboards aren't compatible with the two kaby lake cpus Kadano talked about.

I had a quick look around and one could throw together a brand new PC for Faster Melee with either cpus for about 250-300$, while being easily upgradable. Throw in an RX 460 for $100 or a 1050ti for $150 and you will be able to play all modern games on it without issues.

Pauer

The Pauerful
my best guess is that it should play dolphin and FM at the lowest settings but I can't guarantee it. What price will you pay for it?

Pauer

The Pauerful
Total bargain at 130 US $ and free shipping
I don't think it's a bargain. As I recommended earlier, a refurbished desktop with an i5 2400 can be found for the same price and it will have almost triple the performance of the one you posted.
I had a quick look on ebay and these two look like ok deals:

#1 Comes ready out of the box for 150$, has 8gb of ram and windows 10.

#2 Doesn't come with a hard drive. Buy an SSD + mounting bracket and cable[ (45+7$).
The reason why you should get an ssd is because booting (starting up) will only take around 15 seconds with an ssd and windows will feel much more responsive in general. Here's how to install the ssd (only requires a screwdriver and 5 min).
If you want to install the ssd quick and dirty (1 min) and don't need the CD/DVD reader, simply unplug all the cables from the CD/DVD reader, plug them into the SSD and duct tape the ssd below the CD/DVD reader. In that case, the mounting bracket and cable won't be necessary.
The system should come with a windows 7 pro license sticker on it. To install it onto the SSD from a USB drive (+ 6$ if you dont have one), first download the disc image here, then use the official USB creation tool to create the bootable usb drive (video tutorial).
Installing windows 10 is a little easier and you can get a windows 10 license for 5$ or download a cracked version of windows. Here are instructions for creating a windows 10 usb installation drive and installing windows.

I'd go with #2 because you will get a very fast PC for below 180$ and the whole procedure only requires a bit of your time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit:
Someone messaged me in private, asking for tips buying new parts. Here is what I can recommend. You can definitely go cheaper in regard to most of the parts but I tried to stick with reputable brands and sellers (newegg and amazon).

CPU:
These are the two Kadano talked about earlier. At this moment, the g4560 is probably the best cpu on the market in terms of value. In my opinion most PC users don't need a more powerful cpu since it has enough power not to bottleneck all current graphic cards for below 200$ in most games.
As Kadano said, if you are not getting a graphics card, it can make sense to buy the G4600, which has much better integrated graphics so it will enable you to play FM with some enhancements and can handle games like CS:GO and League of Legends or old games at 1080p on low settings.The difference in CPU power is neglible though, only get it for the graphics.
- Intel Pentium G4560, 65$
- Intel Pentium G4600, 90$

RAM:
I strongly recommend getting 8gb or RAM. 4gb can suffice for moderate multitasking and just playing FM. You can just buy 4 gb at first, then get another 4gb later but make sure to buy the exact same model.
G.Skill 4gb 2400mhz ddr4, 30$
G.Skill 8gb 2400mhz ddr4 , 53$

Motherboard:
As I mentioned in an earlier reply, to be able to use the two CPUs, you will either have to buy a motherboard with a 7th generation chipset or make sure that one with a 6th generation chipset comes with the latest BIOS.
If you can contact the seller to make sure that the motherboard ships with the latest BIOS, or you ask a local computer shop whether they can flash the latest bios for you.
You can save money here and go with an h110 (6th gen) board if you make sure it comes with the latest BIOS.
Otherwise, get a B250(7th gen) board if you want to play it safe.
MSI H110M PRO-VD, 50$ - 10$ rebate
GIGABYTE GA-B250M-DS3H, 70$

Storage:
Get an SSD. This one is cheap and has good performance.
120gb SanDisk SSD, 45$ + 3$ for Sata Cable (Sata cables are usually included with the mainboard though)

Case:
Get whatever case you like that fits your budget. The mainboards I linked are micro ATX in size so you can buy a microATX or regular ATX Tower.
Get a micro ATX Tower if you want to prioritize a small form factor and a low budget.
Get a regular ATX Tower (Mid Tower) if you want to prioritize cooling, low noise and ease of installation.
The one below seems to be a solid choice.
Corsair Carbide Series 100R, 50$.

Power Supply:
You do not need more power than this unless you get a gtx 1060 or better graphics card!
EVGA 430W, 35$

In total, that adds up to 300-350$. You can definitely get better deals on most of the parts if you do some research.
Assembling everything is not difficult and only requires a screwdriver.

Last edited:

Sir_Slice

Smash Cadet
So you're recommending a computer with i5 that only needs to have a hard drive installed? For 50$ more than the one I posted?
Unfortunately I have already purchased the one I posted (I could return it I believe.) Im not personally too worried about a lacking computer I really just want to play old game emulators and old computer games like warcraft 3 or starcraft, but most importantly melee. So if that doesn't work well enough to lay some waste I'm definitely going to try and return the sucker.
Thank you for posting such good information by the way I'm sure this will lead more folks into being able to afford a net play ready computer.

Pauer

The Pauerful
So you're recommending a computer with i5 that only needs to have a hard drive installed? For 50$ more than the one I posted?
Yes because you wouldn't be using a hard drive but an SSD. It would make a huge impact performance-wise and the whole thing only needs a bit of work.

The thing is, the extra 50$ would make a huge difference between the machine you bought and the one where you would have to install the SSD and operating system. The one you bought will operate like any old office desktop, whereas the computer I proposed will operate comparable to most ~400-500$ multimedia desktops you can buy at a store.
I think it depends mostly on how much time you think you will spend with your computer. If you plan on using the PC almost every day and you can spare the extra 50$, I would try and return the one you bought and get one of the two I linked here.

Last edited:

Sir_Slice

Smash Cadet
Hey pauer so I actually just got the computer I had purchased up and running. Had monitor problems but I just got one. Its a 32 bit system.... It says its 64 bit capable though when I went into the system information. Do I just purchase a 64 bit processor that fits and then download the OS for it.

Pauer

The Pauerful
no, you only need to install a 64 bit OS on it. You see, the PC came with 32 bit Windows 7 and now it's stuck that way. You can download windows 7 64 bit onto a USB stick, then install that. I gave you instructions on how to do that above already.
You should be able to use the license key on the windows sticker that is on the PC itself for the installation. In rare cases, the sticker is inside the PC.

But what's the problem with using a 32 bit system anyways? I used a 32 bit version of windows on one of my older PCs for years and I only once had an incompatibility issue.
oh yeah, just saw that FM and Dolphin 5.0-321 require 64 bit systems.
Just to make it clear, since it says "64 bit compatible", you can install a 64 bit operating system on it for sure.

Last edited:

Mr Snak3_

Smash Apprentice
PcMasterRace sub reddit has a lot more dolphin users than you'd believe. Make a thread there for this and people most likely will come up with a pcpartpicker list for you. You can then just pay an IT company to build it for you or you can diy

:^)

Top Bottom