• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Best Capture Card for Wii/ Wii U Streaming?

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
I need a capture card and whatever other equipment for streaming Brawl, PM, and SSB Wii U. I use XSplit and Twitch and I think it's about time I stopped recording with my webcam. I have a microphone, but that's about it. What can I do for the best quality without shelling out $200? What do the major streamers use and is any of that in my price range? Thanks.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Elgato Game Capture HD60 is the best you can get right now. 1080p, 60 FPS, and is also capable of streaming.

Downsides is that the software that the device uses is the only software you can use with it, and you also need to be aware of the system requirements for said software. It is only capable of HDMI output, so this is a capture card made for the current generation of consoles.

It is also a pretty pricey capture card, checkling in at over $200. (Last time I checked Amazon, it was on sale for about $180, but it isn't anymore. =P)

Next in line is the Elgato Game Capture HD, which is similar to the HD60, but is only capable of 1080i, 30 FPS. Like the HD60, Elgato capture cards can only use their own software. However, this one can use A/V and HDMI inputs. Can be used for current gen consoles, but is best used for last Gen stuff. Not only that, the system requirements for the software are less beefy.

This capure device checks in at $138 on Amazon right now. (Normally $180.)

Finally, there is the Avermedia C875 LGP HD Game Capture. This device boasts the ability record things without a computer, allowing you to record stuff on the go, but you will need to use an SD card to save stuff in this mode. Also, when in PC-Free mode, you have no control over what your settings are when you record, so that is the biggest downside of the mode. (It records in 720p in this mode.) If you want to control your settings, then use the device with your computer.

This device is currently $159 on Amazon right now.

In my experience, these are arguably some of the best capure devices out there that gives you good quality, as well as ease of use. All of the devices can be used for streaming as well as regular capture.

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
I use the Elgato Game Capture. And It's pretty satisfying. I keep thinking about upgrading to the HD60 but I don't find the need to waste $200 right now.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
You know how VideoGameBootCamp records the matches. What equipment/program do they use to record their faces along with the actual gameplay? For the thumbnails, do you know what program they use to customize the thumbnails on youtube.

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
You know how VideoGameBootCamp records the matches. What equipment/program do they use to record their faces along with the actual gameplay? For the thumbnails, do you know what program they use to customize the thumbnails on youtube.
I don't watch them, But pretty much any thumbnail can be made easily with Photoshop. I'm pretty sure they just record themselves playing with a webcam or whatever. And you can use your mic whilst recording on the Elgato for Live commentary.

Smashingveteran

Smash Rookie
Elgato HD60 is best for recording, not streaming. 1080p 60fps. This thing has increasing delay with streaming, which is the price to pay for a tiny device encoding that footage.

AVerMedia Game Recorder C985 Live Gamer HD is best for streaming, if they are not under a partnership any console streamer will be using this. assuming you don't mind putting something in your PC, but this means there is no delay at all. It also does all the encoding. This thing cannot output higher than 720p 60fps, but for streaming this isn't an issue because 3500kbps is not a high enough bitrate for 1080p to look good. Absolutely nobody even thinks of streaming at 1080p.

It's at the top of your budget at 180. I highly recommend the C985.

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
Thanks guys! Super fast responses too! I think I'm gonna go with the Elgato Game Capture HD because I'm not allowed to go over $150. What are the system requirements for this? I'm a bit worried about those since I have an HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC, and my processor is Intel Core i3 CPU with M 350 @ 2.27GHz. Also, can I use a microphone to record commentary so that it is in sync with any delay of the video?

Smashingveteran

Smash Rookie
Streaming is more intense on a computer than games are, major difference being you need a solid CPU and good amount of RAM. What is your upload speed? You might be able to make up for the fast compression with high bitrate. I don't know if you'll be able to do 60fps with that though.

Your game audio with any device is going to stay in sync with the game video, that's not the issue, what I meant by delay is your mic will be out of sync with the game and you will need to add delay to the mic in xsplit. HOWEVER, The Elgato HD60 has increasing delay over time; the longer it is going, the worse the delay between your audio and the game will be.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Ooh, I dunno if anyone will see this but I could use some help... I have a lot of replays of great moments saved up, learned how to download music, ready to start some smash projects, but I don't know what equipment to start with! I have a kinda old TV in my room I play on that doesn't use the HDMI cable but rather the...the uh, red yellow white one the wii did. There's some HD TVs around here in my home so using those for better quality isn't impossible just less convenient.

I also have a um...HP Laptop? Running Windows 7? I tried Windows 8 but really hate it so I wanna keep using Windows 7, not sure how much this limits me with editing software and all, but also not sure what kinda editing to use. Alpharad uses Final Cut Pro but now I hear that's just for macs.

I'm into streaming, but if it isn't in my budget than I can save it for the future. I think I'm willing to spend...$300 at most right now? I'd like to get to work ASAP so please, someone, help!

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Oh cool, yeah looks good! Found out the elgato comes with cords for both HD and Composite, works with Windows 7, and indeed works on Wii U and even Wii if I feel like revisiting brawl or PM! So...guess I'm going with that, thank you!!

_gold_

Smash Master
I use Elgato too. The price has gone up significantly over the past months, but it records really well.
Here's an example of one of my recordings:
However, Elgato only supports HDMI, so recording gameplay from a Wii might prove to be a challenge.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I use Elgato too. The price has gone up significantly over the past months, but it records really well.
Here's an example of one of my recordings:
However, Elgato only supports HDMI, so recording gameplay from a Wii might prove to be a challenge.
Looks good! But oh...I heard it comes with a component cable too...I mean, this is the specific one I'm looking at
http://www.walmart.com/ip/23613395?...80314592&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78810396872&veh=sem
and someone in the comments is saying yes and getting lots of positive feedback so I guess they're trustworthy. So maybe it's just different types of Elgato or are they actually a liar?

Oh, and what editing software should I use? I've heard "Sony Vegas" a few times. I have a windows 7 so no Final Cut Pro for me.

CobaltJustice

Smash Cadet
NNID
CobaltJustice
The basic Elgato HD only uses Component cables for PS3, but still outputs with HDMI. This is because the PS3 has encrypted HDMI that can't typically be recorded. I had the original HD so I know how it works. The HD60 is great, I just upgraded. The software also allows you to see how much power you want to use when streaming, so you can adjust to your own internet capabilities.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
The basic Elgato HD only uses Component cables for PS3, but still outputs with HDMI. This is because the PS3 has encrypted HDMI that can't typically be recorded. I had the original HD so I know how it works. The HD60 is great, I just upgraded. The software also allows you to see how much power you want to use when streaming, so you can adjust to your own internet capabilities.
So...I shouldn't buy the thing I linked to...? Hmgh...well what should I buy?

_gold_

Smash Master
So...I shouldn't buy the thing I linked to...? Hmgh...well what should I buy?
For last gen consoles, maybe something like Roxio or Hauppauge might do the job for you. I bought the Roxio a few years back. It was decent. Acceptable quality, but not great. User-friendly software though. However, I can't speak for the Hauppauge. I've heard it has gotten its fair share of good reviews. Just do some research. There's tons of videos which review this sort of stuff.
Oh, and what editing software should I use? I've heard "Sony Vegas" a few times. I have a windows 7 so no Final Cut Pro for me.
That's not really my territory. I just use Windows Movie Maker which is sufficient for me.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I think I'm ganna go with this:
http://www.amazon.com/Elgato-Captur...1720&sr=8-1&keywords=elgato+-+game+capture+hd
I'll just go to the living room or my parents room for an HD TV to record my replays. I may not be able to record in the comfort of my room, but I can still play there and get replays. And if it comes with a composite cable after all, cool, nice bonus, but I still should use the HD TVs for best quality~

Thanks everyone though! But... what editing program should I use? :o

_gold_

Smash Master
The Elgato doesn't come with or support composite.
Unless you bought some sort of converter, you can only use HDMI.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion

_gold_

Smash Master
Hmm... in the question/answer part of the bottom here:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/23613395?...80314592&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78810396872&veh=sem
Someone with a lot of thumbs up says it comes with a component cable. That's basically the same thing...right? The TV in my room has the red, yellow, white inputs (or outputs...? Holes) with no HD. So...would it work the same or they're incompatible?
Maybe Walmart does some sort of bundle, but I bought mine on Amazon and it didn't come with one.
But can a component cable work with a composite TV? Technically, no. Like I said, you'd need some sort of converter.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Maybe Walmart does some sort of bundle, but I bought mine on Amazon and it didn't come with one.
But can a component cable work with a composite TV? Technically, no. Like I said, you'd need some sort of converter.
Ah, in any case, I really shouldnt worry about it as I should be recording everything in HD anyway. But thanks!
I just got it, the amazon one said it comes with a component adapter too so that's just a nice bonus!
But again...uhh...editing program...sony vegas? Somethin else?

_gold_

Smash Master
Ah, in any case, I really shouldnt worry about it as I should be recording everything in HD anyway. But thanks!
I just got it, the amazon one said it comes with a component adapter too so that's just a nice bonus!
Again, not my field. I just stick with the with the free stuff like Windows Movie Maker. Those other programs can be pretty pricey sometimes, but if you really want to edit your videos, then go for it. I can't say which one though.

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it
If you're getting a capture card that only records HD, you can buy this to output your Wii in 480p HDMI. I use the Roxio Gamecap HD Pro to record my SmashBros. With recording Project M, it's aight but I think I could have gotten a better one. It looks perfect when it's recording SSB4 though.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Vegas Pro is really good, along with Adobe Premiere (and I think Final Cut). But like HououGold79 pointed out, they're pricey. However if you really want to get deep into editing, they're definitely worth it, otherwise just stick with freemium or cheap.

Now for which one is THE best... It all comes down to preference. I'm just a hobbyist when it comes to video editing, but personally I find Premiere to be the best if only because of everything else Adobe has to offer, such as Photoshop and After Effects.

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it
Although it's not amazing by any standard, my Roxio came with decent video editing software. It's enough for trimming video and adding in voice recording. You can use multiple video clips in a single composition do it's possible to create combo videos and the like. It isn't fancy but it's easy to pick up and use.

Although, I tend to just use After Effects. It's much more robust and makes for better videos. It has a high learning curve but it pays out for your trouble.

Stryker95

Smash Journeyman
So I have the Elgato HD and when I replayed what was recorded the audio was 2-3 seconds off. Any reason?

CobaltJustice

Smash Cadet
NNID
CobaltJustice
Was it off when recording, or when you played back the completed video? I've seen both. If it's the former I'd say it's just the software and it should be fine when finished. You can usually click "Live" to keep that working. That fixes the later issue sometimes as well, otherwise I would check with Elgato.

Stryker95

Smash Journeyman
Was it off when recording, or when you played back the completed video? I've seen both. If it's the former I'd say it's just the software and it should be fine when finished. You can usually click "Live" to keep that working. That fixes the later issue sometimes as well, otherwise I would check with Elgato.
It was off on replay, I will try what you said but it may be that my laptop is bad.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I guess I'll hijack this topic instead of making a new one?

I'm toying with the possibility of getting a capture card for the express purpose of capturing replays and the like to upload to Youtube. Not looking to do any streaming or the like. What options do I have?

CobaltJustice

Smash Cadet
NNID
CobaltJustice
Elgato HD60 is still going to be the best bet for 60 fps gameplay, but if you don't care about that then there may be some cheaper options out there I'm sure.

the_muffin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
muffinduck01
The HD60 is good if you must have 1080p 60FPS footage. The regular HD is fine if you don't mind 1080p30 or 720p60. I have the normal Elgato HD and record my replays in 720p and the quality is fine. It's also a good bit cheaper than the HD60.

Here's an example of captured footage at 720p60: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqNZg_mu4wo
And here's an example of 1080p30: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O903_fWglVY

Not trying to plug my stuff, but there ya go. (Also excuse my scrubby playing...)

I'm sure there's better and cheaper gear out there, but the Elgato Game Capture HD is what I have and what I can speak to. Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/Elgato-100250...635567&sr=1-1&keywords=elgato+game+capture+hd

Although, I saw the HD60 is only $17 more than the normal HD. For the price difference, go with the HD60 if you're only going to use it for HDMI output sources. The normal HD also works with composite, component, and Svideo input as well as HDMI, so if you ever plan on recording stuff from older consoles, maybe go with that, unless you want to mess with converters and other stuff. Up to you though.

LIVERPOOP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MartinSkrtel37
3DS FC
0130-1906-5039
i'm in the same boat as ParanoidDrone, looking for a card to capture PM from Wii just for my friends and I to have replays of our games. the elgato HD seems to be what i want, but i'm confused, how exactly does it work with component (and composite) cables? i only see HDMI in and out, mini USB and A/V slots on the elgato HD itself. how exactly do you plug your Wii for example into it as well as the TV you're playing on? noob question but i've never captured footage before. not quite sure how you have two sets of cords running or what the deal is. thanks for any help!

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
i'm in the same boat as ParanoidDrone, looking for a card to capture PM from Wii just for my friends and I to have replays of our games. the elgato HD seems to be what i want, but i'm confused, how exactly does it work with component (and composite) cables? i only see HDMI in and out, mini USB and A/V slots on the elgato HD itself. how exactly do you plug your Wii for example into it as well as the TV you're playing on? noob question but i've never captured footage before. not quite sure how you have two sets of cords running or what the deal is. thanks for any help!
I own the Elgato HD, as far as I'm aware you can't get a version that can handle the Wii's analog cables natively. You would need to get a converter to place between your Wii and your card.

HermitHelmet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hermit_Helmet1
The Elgato, easily.

I'm on my third AverMedia LGP right now, and it's crazy the amount of problems I went through. They refused to refund and just fixed my model, twice, every 6 months.

the_muffin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
muffinduck01
LIVERPOOP LIVERPOOP and MockRock MockRock The Elgato comes with a component input cable braid thing that plugs into the A/V input next to the HDMI input on the front. (I can post a pic of it if it'll help) It will also work with composite input if you plug the yellow video into the component red plug and set the input to composite in the recording software on your PC.

LIVERPOOP LIVERPOOP You'll probably need to find some sort of splitter if you're looking to record while you're playing. It only has HDMI out and I'm assuming you want to play on a CRT.

KitBallard

Smash Rookie
While doing some research for a reliable HDMI Capture card, I came across this topic. Lots of good info dotted in here. Was a good read. I have just one question: Does the HD60 support dual audio recording? I do lots of Let's Plays and plan on doing some other things for the WiiU and concerned about if it can audio mix well on recording.

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
While doing some research for a reliable HDMI Capture card, I came across this topic. Lots of good info dotted in here. Was a good read. I have just one question: Does the HD60 support dual audio recording? I do lots of Let's Plays and plan on doing some other things for the WiiU and concerned about if it can audio mix well on recording.
I honestly don't know; I've personally been into audio production for years so I just use my own audio software. You can do the same with Audacity, Garageband, etc, which are free. You just need a sync point, such as jabbing while saying "jab," and you're good to go.

Top Bottom