• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best and Worst Stages

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Discuss which stages are best for DDD and which are worst, also which stages you just like to go to with him.

It's a sort of general rule that stages with big boundaries are good for DDD since he can live forever on them. Would you say this is true of all stages with big boundaries or are there exceptions? What smaller stages are good for him and why?

I think Dreamland 64 is certainly one of his best stages. How appropriate.

After this I'm not so sure. I like going to Pokemon Stadium 2 because I really like the stage, but I don't know if it's necessarily great for DDD.

On a smaller stage like WarioWare you are susceptible to getting KO'd into the blastzones off a quick combo, but because the width of the stage itself is so small you can easily get an opponent off stage and one or two forward-air's from there will surely kill them.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I think wario ware is our worst stage by far.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Do you think it's just the blast zones or do you also dislike the platform layout?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I think our CPs should be very focused on high platforms so we heavily air camp certain characters.

Examples include dreamland (you should ALWAYS pick this if able), battlefield, draculas, FoD.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
dreamland seems like a great pick for most chars, but would you still pick it vs chars that can camp you with projectiles?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
everyone that can aim some sort of disjoint upwards seems to have terrible jumps so yes, I would.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I learned the hard way to not pick rumble falls against characters with projectiles /o\

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
all stages not on the bottom of the SSS are crap for us

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
You should never go to yoshi's because characters with projectiles can camp you extremely hard

KarmaJolt

Smash Cadet
I like Skyworld a whole lot (The Kid Icarus one, not the Zelda thing) for Dedede.

Characters with projectiles can't really camp under the platform clouds since they are not directly over the stage. There seems to be a good deal of room between the stage and the blast zones, so Dedede can live to very high percentages. As an added bonus, I feel as if characters that require very precise recoveries (Lucario, Ness, Lucas) will often get caught under the stage when trying to make it back. So there's that...

Absence of shyguys leaves something to be desired. For example shyguys. And shygals?

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
smaller stages vs characters that would normally camp you, to help close space
larger stages vs everyone else so you can live forever

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
how are you against them on other stages? i would imagine that they'd be fairly frustrating match ups if they camp, but i'd rather play them on a smaller stage like battlefield with plats, rather than long/big stages or stages with minimal plats.

NFTsmasher

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shoob24
how are you against them on other stages? i would imagine that they'd be fairly frustrating match ups if they camp, but i'd rather play them on a smaller stage like battlefield with plats, rather than long/big stages or stages with minimal plats.
I fared better against this particular Samus player while on Smashville. Small stage with too many plats makes it hard to dodge seeking missiles.

BaykersDzn

Smash Rookie
Im having a lot of trouble with characters that try to zone out my D3 on Distant Planet. The low platforms don't help at all. It always turns to a stall war kind of game. I also have a hard time on small stages like Wario Ware and Yoshi Story vs. other big characters like Bowser and DK.

Last edited:

NFTsmasher

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shoob24
Im having a lot of trouble with characters that try to zone out my D3 on Distant Planet. The low platforms don't help at all. It always turns to a stall war kind of game. I also have a hard time on small stages like Wario Ware and Yoshi Story vs. other big characters like Bowser and DK.
Yeah, Distant Planet is really bad for DDD I think. Too many platforms that interfere with DDD's strong FastFalling aerials for one thing, plus certain characters can camp way too hard. DDD wants platforms sometimes, but too many and in the wrong places can really get in the way. Plus, there is a platform anomaly that affects DDD:
http://smashboards.com/threads/anomaly-regarding-fastfalling-through-platforms.351798/#post-16577833

I actually don't think FD is that bad for DDD despite its lack of platforms.

BaykersDzn

Smash Rookie
Whats weird is i also noticed that platform situation but I didn't think anything of it.

I also think with good spacing DDD can handle smaller characters well like squirtle and olimar on stages like green hill zone very well. But replace them for someone like DK and its a hole new game on that stage.

NFTsmasher

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shoob24
Whats weird is i also noticed that platform situation but I didn't think anything of it.

I also think with good spacing DDD can handle smaller characters well like squirtle and olimar on stages like green hill zone very well. But replace them for someone like DK and its a hole new game on that stage.
Yeah, I played DDD for a while non-competitively in Brawl and noticed the platform thing but didn't think anything of it, but now playing P:M a little more and learning the ins and outs, I realized this and decided to put my foot down, ha, especially now that I recently got a Smashboards account.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
this stage is banned in singles anyways if you go with the apex ruleset. It was a really bad stage for DDD i found.

Last edited:

OldManDyl (OMD)

Smash Cadet
smaller stages vs characters that would normally camp you, to help close space
larger stages vs everyone else so you can live forever
If you had to give a rough list of what characters to take to a small stage, which ones do you have in mind? Cause 9 times out of 10, I go to Dreamland if it's open. And I wanna work on knowing what stages are good CPs.

NFTsmasher

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shoob24
If you had to give a rough list of what characters to take to a small stage, which ones do you have in mind? Cause 9 times out of 10, I go to Dreamland if it's open. And I wanna work on knowing what stages are good CPs.
Small stage for: Peach, Pikachu, can't think of others right now

NFTsmasher

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shoob24
For Tink you want small, proabbly the same for Link. For Spacies, it kinda depends on platform configuration, but you want those sweet up throw > uptilt/ftilt combos.

NickLeo

Smash Apprentice
For Spacies, it kinda depends on platform configuration, but you want those sweet up throw > uptilt/ftilt combos.
Or those sweet Uthrow->Utilt->Jab->regrab->Uthrow->Utilt->Meaty Nair->Soft Nair->Soft Nair->Fair combos

For stages, I agree with most of the above. D3 likes the triple platform layout for shffl Uair and has amazing center stage control.
Definitely DL, BF, and FoD

What are your guys' thoughts on yoshi's story?

ZeroPeachDedede

Smash Rookie
Onett is a good stage for Dedede. Since there is no edge to fall off stage, he doesn't need to worry about using his Up+B and end up forgetting to cancel, which forces him to miss catching a ledge and plummeting to his doom.
Also, there are enough platforms to dive through and use his Up- or Down+A attacks on unsuspecting opponents. Plus, you can use his strength to send his opponents flying and watch them as they go across the stage. Fun!

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Onett is a good stage for Dedede. Since there is no edge to fall off stage, he doesn't need to worry about using his Up+B and end up forgetting to cancel, which forces him to miss catching a ledge and plummeting to his doom.
Also, there are enough platforms to dive through and use his Up- or Down+A attacks on unsuspecting opponents. Plus, you can use his strength to send his opponents flying and watch them as they go across the stage. Fun!
Unfortunately Onett is not a stage that is allowed in tournement play because of it's walk-offs.

I'm pretty sure most Dedede mains would not forget to cancel thier recovery, as it can decide life or death when it comes to snapping on to the ledge. After awhile it just becomes a habit so there is no problem there.

Last edited:

kinje

Smash Apprentice
all stages not on the bottom of the SSS are crap for us
In terms of the Pikachu MU, does Warioware sucking still apply?
It seems like Warioware and Yoshi's Story would help deal with a lot of problems in the matchup.

trusty

Smash Apprentice
How does Draculas stack up in competition? I love using smaller stages stuffed with platforms with DDD when playing with my friends and Dracula's moving platforms are so damn entertaining and aggravating for them.

DD_

Smash Journeyman
How does Draculas stack up in competition? I love using smaller stages stuffed with platforms with DDD when playing with my friends and Dracula's moving platforms are so damn entertaining and aggravating for them.
Stages like this would just come down to preference and knowing your opponent. Do you like the moving platforms and do they hate it? Get in their head with it :D

trusty

Smash Apprentice
Stages like this would just come down to preference and knowing your opponent. Do you like the moving platforms and do they hate it? Get in their head with it :D
:) I like it a lot but I'm kind of into FD And the 64 dk stage lol

Top Bottom