• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best And worst stages for Luigi? for Luigi?

Falco865

Smash Apprentice
What do you guys think? battlefield and Fod seem to be really good for him, big stages like Dracula castle not do much.

Jake The Preacher

The Amateur Preacher
Just try smaller stages so you can get around really fast, that's what I do. Things where off the stage airplay isn't too risky. I like Melee Yoshi's and battlefield, and green hill every once in a while. I think small platforms like battlefield and FoD are really good for up air into neutral air to start things up

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
Yoshi's Island is one of my favorite stages with luigi. As is Yoshi's story. Battlefield and Fod are also good. But yes small stages are generally in his favor. Any stages with platforms,really. FD is not too good for him or sv, although that moving platform on sv is very good for waveland aerials since its a good mix up

Last edited:

Jake The Preacher

The Amateur Preacher
Anything small that you can mix up approaches with works, I agree about FD and SV entirely because what can you really do besides wavedash forward? Exactly, I'd say platform stages work really well because you'll have so many options

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
I don't mind dracula's castle too much because of the platforms but it has really wide walls, so when luigi recovers, he gets easily gimped, which is one reason as to why big stages dont do the slippery green devil justice

Jake The Preacher

The Amateur Preacher
Not to mention if you really get sent flying it could be really hard to make it back unless you've got a misfire, and you gotta make sure you can get back vertically if you don't have a misfire

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
I'm partial to WarioWare, personally. Side blastzones aren't too far out, and the high platforms can let you go farther out then usual. They also help with Luigi's primarily vertical combos (I've gotten quite a few quad nairs for a kill off the top), extra opportunities fair/dair techrolls into death, give you somewhere to go when stuck in the air, are all the more places to edgecancel GR, and can't be used to get around fireballs as well as other platforms can.

Boomer3d

Smash Journeyman
In general I feel like what Luigi likes is:
  • Platforms - to be able to wavefash all over and it helps with his combo game. Also it is easy for him to hit opponents stuck on platforms.
  • Close walls - He can get kills easier and since he recovery is very gimp-able it doesn't really effect how long he lives.
  • Small in general - Luigi can get camped by projectiles and small stages can make camping hard.
  • Having walls on the side of the stage - since Luigi's recovery can overshoot the edge (on purpose or accident) going past the ledge is almost suicidal.
Here are stages that I love going to:
  • Yoshi's Story
  • Wario Ware
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Green Hill Zone
Stages I usually Ban:
  • Dreamland
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Skyland
Meh:
  • Pokemon Stadium 2
  • Dracula's
  • Distant Planet
  • Battlefield
  • Smashville
  • Yoshi's Island
  • Final Destination

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
I wouldn't say small size is always the best. Luigi's ground speed can be quite advantageous on big stages, and really lets his tech-chasing shine. On the other hand, Luigi is apt to slide off of small stages, putting him in a bad position while he's already on the defensive.

In particular, I favor FD in several matchups, including Marth, G&W, and Kirby. Characters that can't necessarily keep up, who lack projectiles that are longer/faster than fireballs, who can better take advantage of platforms, and who can control more space than the Weeg.

What I do ban are YI and SL. The slopes can really mess with WD's, FB's, GM's, and other two-letter acronyms.

Also, I'd like to mention Skyworld, which I like for some matchups. Luigi's high jump and great wavedash allow him to take advantage of the high, wide upper platform. Along with Smashville, its overhanging side platforms are great fair bait and let him go further out than usual. However, Luigi can't really take advantage of the side platforms for recovery, so this is another ban against characters who can.

Last edited:

Krusty Kid

Smash Rookie
I agree with some of the said. But I must say I find both Dreamland and Final Destination to both be pro Luigi. With FD you've got plenty of space to work with which plays a hand a maneuverability, definitely a place I love playing spacies. There's plenty of opportunity for chain grabs without the interruption of platforms. DL64 is great for the fact that not only can you use the platforms to your advantage but the stage is large. This allows you to utilize all of Luigi's recovery options to the fullest. Definitely an option to take other players to if they're using a character with subpar recovery in comparison. (Falco, Olimar, Falcon.) Just to name a few.

There goes my two cents.

DBSammy

Smash Ace
IMO he works well on stages that are rather polarizing in size. Stages that are large for a lot of room to maneuver in and stages that are small so pretty much anywhere can be reached with a single wavedash. Although in the end it is up to personal preference.

Broasty

Smash Journeyman
Stage HEAVILY depends on matchup. Shiek for example, is really scary on Small Stages since her grabs game can only be beaten with perfect spacing or low platforms. Smaller stage means you can easily get backed up to the edge and not have room for spacing. If Shiek gets you next to the edge, you're in some deep ****.

Overall, I see best results for Luigi on Wario Ware, Yoshi Story, Yoshi's Island, and Battlefield.

Elza~

Smash Cadet
Battlefield is a good Luigi stage unless you are playing against a Charizard, Zero Suit Samus, Or Olimar. Charizard because he can N-air you through the platform, ZSS/Olimar because being above those two characters in particular is a nightmare.

POLOGUN

Smash Cadet
yoshi story, battlefield and fountain of dreams are great, specially yoshi story. Platforms are a need for a good smooth movement. You also can use and abuse of vududashing in platforms better than in flat stages.

Xykness

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XYKman
My Top 3 Favorites (in order):
1.) Yoshi's Story
2.) Fountain of Dreams
3.) Warioware

I tend to feel most comfortable on those stages against the majority of the PM cast, HOWEVER, I will definitely not go to these places against certain characters. I hate taking heavy hitters like Ganon and Charizard to these stages because I feel that they can kill Luigi faster because of how small the stages are.

My Top 3 Situational Favorites (in order):
1.) Green Hill Zone
2.) Battlefield
3.) Dreamland

Like I said previously, sometimes the super small stages just don't work for matchups. These are a few that I have noticed me being drawn to in those situations.

I don't dislike all the others, but I'll typically go one of these 6 if I can.

Last edited:

1+1=3

Smash Cadet
Personally, I feel really comfortable on FD and Dreamland where I've got plenty of room to work with, I'll still go YS when against other floaties or even the spacies on occasion.

TKDbeast

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kyle
So from what I understand from this thread, Luigi is good on small stages with platforms, like yoshi's story, battlefield, FoD, green hill zone, etc. but some characters, such as shiek, characters who can juggle above their heads really well (ZSS and Olimar), and the spacies, will find these stages in their favor. For them, go on Final Destination, due to Luigi's ability to re position himself faster than other characters.

Do you all agree?

JesteRace

Smash Journeyman
My favorite neutral stage is PS2, and my CP's depending on matchup and what's banned are FD, Dreamland, and Wario Ware

Alternative

Smash Rookie
NNID
fs_Alternative
Dreamland may be hard to get kills with weegee on, but he almost can't die there. If you're good with his down b, you can recover from pretty much anywhere on the stage. If you play smart and capitalize on you high priority aerials and gnarly recovery, you should be fine. You'll have to play a bit more patiently, but you should be able to pull off some sweet wins.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
I swear to God the only thing I got from this is that you people like every stage.

Another thing that should be considered is how effectively the opponent can interact with luigi. If they have no way to meaningfully punish you or convert into kills, large blast zones could accentuate that by making you impossible to kill while you can edge guard a lot of recoveries still with invincible Bair. Also if it's a character with a good disjointed uair like Link, you might do well to have platforms so you have more escape options outside of air dodge.

With that being said, what are your thoughts on stages against Link, Ike, and Marth.

Last edited:

Alternative

Smash Rookie
NNID
fs_Alternative
I swear to God the only thing I got from this is that you people like every stage.

Another thing that should be considered is how effectively the opponent can interact with luigi. If they have no way to meaningfully punish you or convert into kills, large blast zones could accentuate that by making you impossible to kill while you can edge guard a lot of recoveries still with invincible Bair. Also if it's a character with a good disjointed uair like Link, you might do well to have platforms so you have more escape options outside of air dodge.

With that being said, what are your thoughts on stages against Link, Ike, and Marth.
I try to avoid those MU's as much as possible with luigi, but I'll give what little knowledge I can. In 3.6, luigi's down b has been kinda neutered, so the luigi will have to be very careful.
Marth: I'd take math to Dreamland, norfair, or any other large stage with platforms. One would hope to exploit marth's poor recovery. You need to play smart and get marth off stage. Large stages make it harder for Marth to kill and recover. I wouldn't expect to kill off top or sides.
Link: I'd take Link to fountain, battlefield, wario ware, or yoshi's melee. You would want to go ham. move fast and kill hard. I'd play super agro. Use the platforms to avoid Link's everything. Link's recovery can be p good, so you need to kill off the sides fast.
Ike: pray

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
Tbh there really aren't any bad stages for Luigi. It's moreso matchup dependent more than anything. Although i'd take characters to SV/Dreamland pretty much all the time (that moving platform on SV is a godsend to luigi). But I am starting to not like Yoshi's Island because of its slopes. The thing about Luigi is that he's very versatile in many of the stages because his ground movement and platform mind tricks work very well in almost every stage. His ability to kill both vertically and horizontally make smaller stages good for him, which is why I love yoshi's story so much (except against spacies).

Yes that's true. Usually with chars that juggle us, I tend to go to platform stages because disjoints juggle luigi pretty hard due to our awful aerial drift to avoid them. Marth is a character I would never go to ghz/FD..one because we don't have platforms to avoid his range/mixup our approaches andt two because we are restricted to just ground movement, which makes it very easy for marth to stuff luigi with short hop fairs. Against marth I actually really like Yoshis Story, despite it being good for him, as well as Dreamland and norfair.

It's weird, against Link I don't actually mind the flatter stages, probably because power shielding his rang and arrows to wavedash in to whatever is a thing in this matchup, so fd/ghz aren't too bad. Although I don't really see a particular stage that I would hate to play Link on, to be honest.

Ike I haven't really played enough to make an accurate decision. I would assume to avoid FD so his QD shenanigans won't be as annoying to deal with, and maybe any stages with a wall like ghz or yoshi's story. I'll need to play against this character some more to really tell.

Also just an FYI, FoD vs fox is amazing, possibly the best stage choice against that space furry. Smaller blast zones on the side for side smash/fair/dair kills and high ceiling to avoid uair/up smash kills and increasing survivability. It's my go to stage now against fox.

Last edited:

Kapapanerp

Smash Apprentice
I actually don't mind the platformless stages vs the Fire Emblem characters. We lose our platform mix-ups, sure, but they can cover those options extremely easily so it's not that much of a loss. Also the loss of platforms makes our fireballs much better at stuffing approaches, so thats nice.

Overall fd/ghz wouldn't be my optimal cp ( I usually go dreamland vs swordies) but they're workable imo.

ACA CREAM

Smash Rookie
PS2, Battlefield, FOD, YS, and FD are personal favorites. I also have a soft spot for Norfair because I like to play with the moving platforms

JesteRace

Smash Journeyman
I'm updating my answer to this thread. Now, in my state, we run 8 stages. YS/SV/BF/PS2/DL as neutrals, and GHZ/FoD/FD as CP's. 9 times out of 10, my first ban will be YS(exceptions are characters like Falcon) because it's one of my least favorite stages as Luigi. After that, PS2 and Dreamland are where I will attempt to steer towards, as I believe those to be his best 2 stages for the majority of matchups. After that, my 2 bans are usually YS and GHZ and if PS2 and DL aren't available, you'll probably see me go FD or SV, especially against Fox/Wolf/Marth.

It simply boils down to Luigi being best on large stages. Platforms are also nice (which is why DL is his best), but the most important thing is to have a ton of room for movement as that is his neutral game. Now if you're in a MU against someone who wins the neutral more often and you need to kill them off of 1-2 big punishes or you need to limit their movement, a small stage with platforms is also a good choice. I like FoD vs Falcon/Falco/Diddy a lot.

TL;DR: Dreamland and PS2 are his best stages imo. FD and FoD are very good in a few matchups.

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
I'm updating my answer to this thread. Now, in my state, we run 8 stages. YS/SV/BF/PS2/DL as neutrals, and GHZ/FoD/FD as CP's. 9 times out of 10, my first ban will be YS(exceptions are characters like Falcon) because it's one of my least favorite stages as Luigi. After that, PS2 and Dreamland are where I will attempt to steer towards, as I believe those to be his best 2 stages for the majority of matchups. After that, my 2 bans are usually YS and GHZ and if PS2 and DL aren't available, you'll probably see me go FD or SV, especially against Fox/Wolf/Marth.

It simply boils down to Luigi being best on large stages. Platforms are also nice (which is why DL is his best), but the most important thing is to have a ton of room for movement as that is his neutral game. Now if you're in a MU against someone who wins the neutral more often and you need to kill them off of 1-2 big punishes or you need to limit their movement, a small stage with platforms is also a good choice. I like FoD vs Falcon/Falco/Diddy a lot.

TL;DR: Dreamland and PS2 are his best stages imo. FD and FoD are very good in a few matchups.
MU dependent, but I generally still like smaller stages like warioware and yoshis story. You also have to remember that on bigger stages, platform camping and air camping is a lot more common, which luigi struggles to counter, and thus makes it hard for him to secure kills. Dreamland is okay for chars like fox and ganon, but i wouldn't really go there for any other mus. I still think PS2, SV, and YS are his best stages. YS imo is his best stage vs many chars because of how small the blast zones are. And surprisingly, its where i do best vs Marth. FoD is a great stage in the fox mu and chars who kill off the top easier. SV i think is also one of his best because of that moving platform, allowing him to wavedrop from it best (very good for the rob mu I find).
Large stages do give him more room to move around, but it allows the opponent to escape some of his movement traps, unlike smaller stages where his wavedash covers most of the stage and thus gives the opponent less room to run away.
Also FoD vs falco is questionable since he will be killing off the sides with bair and f-smash, I'd rather go battlefield or sv for that mu tbh.

Last edited:

JesteRace

Smash Journeyman
I guess it all comes down to personal preference. Yeah, Luigi likes small blast zones. But I feel so stuffed on YS. I find it very odd that YS would be your best stage against Marth. That seems like a prime example of a matchup where Dreamland is boss. Marthritis is real on that stage. Of course, I just go Link cause Marth is still super bad for Luigi. PS2 is probably the best of both worlds for Luigi. Space to move around, ideal platform layout, Small blast zones. With Fox, I always go for flat stages. Luigi's combo game on spacies on flat stages is just disgusting, plus chain grabbing becomes 20x better. Falco is the only one I hesitate to take to flat stages, just because I'm still not very good at handling the horizontal pressure. I do agree that Battlefield would be better than FoD though. I really feel like Luigi is versatile on most stages depending on MU, but I just hate the super small stages. What can I say, I like to dance.

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
I guess it all comes down to personal preference. Yeah, Luigi likes small blast zones. But I feel so stuffed on YS. I find it very odd that YS would be your best stage against Marth. That seems like a prime example of a matchup where Dreamland is boss. Marthritis is real on that stage. Of course, I just go Link cause Marth is still super bad for Luigi. PS2 is probably the best of both worlds for Luigi. Space to move around, ideal platform layout, Small blast zones. With Fox, I always go for flat stages. Luigi's combo game on spacies on flat stages is just disgusting, plus chain grabbing becomes 20x better. Falco is the only one I hesitate to take to flat stages, just because I'm still not very good at handling the horizontal pressure. I do agree that Battlefield would be better than FoD though. I really feel like Luigi is versatile on most stages depending on MU, but I just hate the super small stages. What can I say, I like to dance.
Marths usually ban Dreamland so I can never really go to it. Same with FD/GHZ for fox.
It's actually incredibly difficult to chain grab fox as luigi if the fox di's his throws correctly/mixes up di. So FD is really not all that great of a choice, anyways.
But yeah I get what you're saying.

JesteRace

Smash Journeyman
Well, how it usually works is I start with Link. If I win game 1, Fox is super likely to CP a flat stage. Then I switch to Weegee. If he wins game 1, he's probably not gonna ban FD/GHZ against Link, leaving it open for me to CP as Weegee. But that's just me being grimy. Sure, Luigi's FD shenanigans vs. Fox aren't quite on Marth levels, but they're incredibly potent and disgusting at times. The chaingrab, while not easy, is still at its best on FD, especially with the ability to extend it with wavedashes. But it's not just the chaingrabs. Without platforms, Fox has so few ways to break Luigi's insane punishes. In your scenario, where the Fox has banned FD/GHZ, I would simply go to Smashville, but that's just me.

As for Marth, again, I just play Link here, but if I was playing Luigi, yeah, he bans Dreamland, but there still has to be so many better options than YS imo. Even if you like it for Luigi, Marth is just too freaking good on that stage. Especially considering how meh he is on large stages. FD/Delfino/PS2/even Smashville would be better imo.

What do you think about Lucario/Wolf/Rob? What stages do you like vs. them?

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
Well, how it usually works is I start with Link. If I win game 1, Fox is super likely to CP a flat stage. Then I switch to Weegee. If he wins game 1, he's probably not gonna ban FD/GHZ against Link, leaving it open for me to CP as Weegee. But that's just me being grimy. Sure, Luigi's FD shenanigans vs. Fox aren't quite on Marth levels, but they're incredibly potent and disgusting at times. The chaingrab, while not easy, is still at its best on FD, especially with the ability to extend it with wavedashes. But it's not just the chaingrabs. Without platforms, Fox has so few ways to break Luigi's insane punishes. In your scenario, where the Fox has banned FD/GHZ, I would simply go to Smashville, but that's just me.

As for Marth, again, I just play Link here, but if I was playing Luigi, yeah, he bans Dreamland, but there still has to be so many better options than YS imo. Even if you like it for Luigi, Marth is just too freaking good on that stage. Especially considering how meh he is on large stages. FD/Delfino/PS2/even Smashville would be better imo.

What do you think about Lucario/Wolf/Rob? What stages do you like vs. them?
It's not something you see very often since fox's know how to di it. It's possible for sure, but you also have to vary wavedash length constnatly in combination with jc grabs. it just requires a really fast reaction time. And true, but at the same time, fox also has the ability to juggle luigi for an incredibly long time with uairs. And FD also doesn't help his air game in the slightest since he can't any boosts from platforms to approach from above. Smashville is also a good choice. I go FoD because of the higher ceiling and smaller side zones, so upsmash/uair kills won't be too much of a problem there.

Luigi is also very good on YS. Smaller blast zones makes his already amazing kill power even better, ledge dashes are more potent because of the slopes, and platforms are placed just in the right position. Although ps2 and smashville i can also agree on for the mu.

Lucario I'd avoid dreamland but any other stage is fine. Thats one of our best matchups. Wolf I like ps2 and sv. And Rob SV, PS2, Yoshis Story. Honestly SV and PS2 are probably fine for 99% of mu's for Luigi. All other stages are preference, like YS for me.

JesteRace

Smash Journeyman
Buuuuump. Let's keep discussion going. So, as my Luigi develops, the more I'm learning about what is actually good for him. In short, he really has no bad stages. It really does come down to matchup. In some matchups, you want big stages to dance circles around them. In some matchups, you want to choke them down in a single wavedash. In some matchups, you want platforms because Luigi's platform options are bueno. In some, they either get more out of platforms or you can use the open space to exploit a weakness on their end. And it goes on. So, there really are no actual bad stages for Luigi. So, here are some revisions to what stages I would go for in matchups I play often as Luigi. (Stagelist in my region is GHZ/FoD/WL/BF/SV/BC(Bowser's Castle)/DL/PS2/FD)

Falcon:
CP's - WL, FoD, BF
Bans - GHZ, FD

Ganon:
CP's - PS2, SV, FD
Bans - WL, FoD

Link:
CP's - WL, FoD, BF
Bans - FD, BC

Sheik:
CP's - SV, FD, PS2
Bans - WL, FoD

Falco:
CP's - DL, BF, BC
Bans - GHZ, FD

Fox:
CP's - FD, DL, SV
Bans - WL, BC

Wolf:
CP's - DL, BF, BC
Bans - GHZ, FoD

Lucario:
CP's - BF, FoD, DL
Bans - PS2, WL

Roy/Marth:
CP's - FD, DL, BC
Bans - WL, FoD (for Roy), BF (for Marth)

Kirby:
CP's - FD, PS2, SV
Bans - FoD, GHZ

As you can see in just these matchups, things are mostly all over the place. Now, if I'm unsure on a matchup, my general preference is away from flat and open, so I'll ban GHZ and FD (Luigi can at least get good mileage out of that moving platform on SV). Then I would say his safest CP is Battlefield. Luigi is almost never bad on Battlefield.

Top Bottom