• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best 3rd Party GC Controller?

GPEternity

Smash Journeyman
I need a new set of GC controllers; for the sake of saving money I have no intention of buying unopened official nintendo controllers.

At the moment I am trying to decide if I should buy a 3rd party controller or a used official controller.

I've known some 3rd party controllers to be very.... bad, so I was wondering if you guys knew of a brand that replicated official controllers very well or if an official controller is still far better than the knock offs.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
the nyko airflo
no sweaty palms here!

also unopened white nintendo controllers are ~20-30 at max depending where you get them.

GPEternity

Smash Journeyman
im wondering about the controller's funcitonality, like is the stick good; are the buttons responsive? will i have issues performing AT's?

CableCho57

Smash Lord
honestly I think you have a better chance with a used official than any brand new 3rd party

but who knows you might get unlucky like me on amazon and get a wack used nintendo controller
whereas a buddy of mine said the used one he got was practically new

justinrobk

Smash Rookie
Just as a warning, don't buy these official-looking third party controllers. My c-stick broke two days after I bought it. I just said screw it and bought a new official one that I'm still waiting on.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Just as a warning, don't buy these official-looking third party controllers. My c-stick broke two days after I bought it. I just said screw it and bought a new official one that I'm still waiting on.
Yeah, thope one's are the ****tiest ****ing things I have ever layed eyes upon.

I'd say go with the used Official one's- no matter what.

mesa23

Smash Journeyman
i'm sad to say i've never had a good 3rd party controller

imo, lurk on ebay for some good deals. sometimes people auction off their old gamecube, games, and controllers for next to nothing and the controllers turn out to be very very newish.

good luck, happy hunting.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Glad I know this now, a few weeks ago I was actually considering getting one of those since I needed a second GNC controller, luckily I found a very good used official controller and it was cheap on eBay.

:phone:

SnakeMan

Smash Cadet
The only 3rd party gcn controller I ever liked was the madcatz one, believe it or not. But it still was nowhere near as good as a nintendo brand, used or new.

anyone know if there is a way to use an 8 button arcadestyle joysyick with gcn for smash? That would be sweet

You could get rid of the anoalg shoulders and assign one button for lightshield and one for fullshield... *****es in pants*

:phone:

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
the nyko airflo
no sweaty palms here!

also unopened white nintendo controllers are ~20-30 at max depending where you get them.
Dude, I had this controller so long ago! This controller was legit. Too bad the fans in the controller randomly die. Mine started to short out my Gamecube whenever I would hook it up. So when I would connect it, the gamecube would turn off but the LED light in the front was still on.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Dude, I had this controller so long ago! This controller was legit. Too bad the fans in the controller randomly die. Mine started to short out my Gamecube whenever I would hook it up. So when I would connect it, the gamecube would turn off but the LED light in the front was still on.
Does it feel different from the official gc controller when pushing buttons? That's probably one of the biggest things I dislike about 3rd party controllers, pushing the buttons on them is more/less difficult, or the buttons have to click or something. Way too hard to get used to.

kazedemon

Smash Rookie
Ask your friends who don't play melee, basically everyone has a gamecube. Offer like 5 bucks per controller

Massive

Smash Champion
The Nyko pads have notoriously ****ty sticks.

It took me less than a week to break the analog stick on mine with less than 3 smashing sessions.
Madcatz did not fare any better. Drop a bit of cash on the nintendo ones, money spent on the other sticks is money wasted.

Alternatively, you could robocop together a new controller out of pieces of broken controllers, I've been doing that lately and it's worked out great.

Hydro_Smasher

Smash Journeyman
I get my controllers at gamestop, as much as I hate them. But, I only bought 1 black one, just because it was there, not too bad.

I have both my original controlers frmo 03 in mint condish.

:3

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
The MadKatz Mini (wired) is a very good controller. Best Fox controller I've ever owned. I've been meaning to buy one next time I get the chance.

Also robocopping old parts into one Frankenstein of a controller is both extremely satisfying, and also a very good idea. I've sold several of my creations because they were so good. :3

WrexFactor27

Smash Rookie
NNID
edgararanda95
If you really need to get a 3rd party GC controller then I suggest the Superpad made by InterAct. I have one that I have customized myself and have used to play Melee and all I can say that it's the closest thing you can get to the official controllers. Sure, if you don't take care of your controllers properly the rubber on the sticks will come off but that's easily replaceable (I've done it twice, since my SP used to belong to my baby brother lol). But all in all I would recommend getting the Superpad made by InterAct, it's the only decent 3rd party I've come across that I've been able to play Smash. with.

Luwafer

Smash Cadet
As previously stated, the amount of money you save buying a third-party controller 99% of the time won't be worth it in the long-run. If you want to play competitively, you'd probably end up at a disadvantage, and the odds of third-party controllers breaking seem much higher, eventually negating the savings. I'd definitely find a used official Nintendo controller over any third-party controller (provided it's in decent condition), or better yet, shell out a few extra bucks to get an unopened one.

That said, you seem to know what you want, so again, I'd recommend a decent-condition first party controller. As far as third-party controllers go, the only one I've had that functioned decently was a MadCatz macro or something along those lines. That said, it isn't in the traditional Gamecube controller shape, so it could be hard to get used to/ not the best for learning. The buttons also had a tendency to stick which could be disastrous.

Kadano

Magical Express
I need a new set of GC controllers; for the sake of saving money I have no intention of buying unopened official nintendo controllers.
1. Proposed statement: buying 3rd party saves money.

2. Average price of cheap 3rd party controllers: 10$
Average price of new official controllers: 35$
Average price of used, good condition official controllers: 15$

3. Life span of cheap 3rd party controllers: 5 days (that’s what I and many others experienced with them – for the first few days, it was a horror to play with them. At day 5 and later, they were mostly dead.)
Life span of official controllers: 2 years at least. And that’s only if you interpret loose control sticks as controller=dead.

4. Thus, 2 years of playing Melee will cost you 15$ with a used controller or 35$ with a brand new one. 2 years of playing Melee with 3rd party controllers will cost you an expected 1460$.

5. Verdict: No.

Last edited:

$alsa

Smash Cadet
NNID
itzall1848
"Best 3rd party controller"
Implying any of them are good.
and if it's wireless
you might not be able to be certain player slots.

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
Unless you are mentally handicapped (no offense intended) and do not care about the controller responding to anything you input correctly, do not buy any 3rd party controllers. You will be hitting your head against the wall enough to cause brain damage (if you don't already have it) after a week of playing with it, if not sooner...

RandomArceus

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-0414-9599-1014
There's the Tru-Blu controllers
They're not easy to find, but they work great! I got mine from Cash Converters, but haven't found ANYTHING about them online.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
30-20 bucks?! It costs me $40 MINIMUM to get a 1st party one USED (I am Canadian)
The post you replied to was made over 8 years ago, and thus its information on market prices for hardware likely to be inaccurate. I hope you are able to find a suitable controller at a reasonable price.

Top Bottom