• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Besides the official controller, what are other good Gamecube controllers for Smash?

vacmox

Smash Rookie
NNID
Soniccreep9
3DS FC
5155-3175-0659
Switch FC
1105-3911-3044
Hi there, I just pre-ordered the SSBU Gamecube controller adapter off of Best Buy and was planning on getting the controller but saw the $30 as a tad pricey...I could save up but until then, are there any decent/better, cheaper alternatives? I currently own a 2.4 GHz wireless GameStop controller I got a couple of years back:facepalm:. I just dug it up and needed a new one. So with this, I also have some other questions.

1) Is wireless reliable?
2) Are the $10 Amazon controllers reliable?
3) Should I wait for the official controller?

*Sincerest apologies if this is a poorly constructed thread, this is my first time on Smashboards and a message board overall! :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Do not get wireless because they can be banned at large tournies. I have heard from players in the Lucas Discord that they would lose games and sets due to their controller desyncing mid-match.

I have not seen those controllers so I have no clue what you are talking about. If you are looking for a cheap alternative to the Wii U/Switch Pro controller, there is the Pokken controller (aka the Hori fightpad) available. The Switch version is $16, while the Wii U version is $14 the last time I checked Gamestop's website. Both work on the Switch and are the same controller but with a different design.

I have also heard that some players prefer them over the Pro controller since they like the way the control stick and buttons feel.

If you have an original GCN then you may not need a new controller. You can still try to find the official Wii U GCN for Smash or wait for the Switch version. I have heard of some complaints about the Wii U controller so make sure those are what you want before getting an official Wii U or Switch controller.

Top Bottom