• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Belmont Matchup.

Blazer

Smash Ace
So I'm trying to pick up Ken more, I'm mostly a Wolf/Roy main and haven't had to deal with the Belmonts too heavily due to faster air speed and having a reflector. What works for Ken getting in on ranged spammy characters like these or Y. Link? How does everyone handle the matchup?

Swordmaster102

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordmaster102
As a long time Ryu main from Sm4sh, I can just tell you that matchups against range fighters and spacing characters are gonna be rough, especially if they are a skilled player. When it comes to constant range moves from them, you should be able to parry what they throw when you’re grounded and keep your movement good when in the air. Most range attacks are a bit more on the horizontal side, such as arrows, so when I’m in a tough matchup like that, I’m often staying in the air trying to gain an opening with focus attack cancelling, landing with an aerial, or tomahawk grab (when they get conditioned to shield and have fear). Even though Ken is a bit faster than Ryu, they both are still quite on the hefty and slow side, so matchups like this can often result in you feeling like you are a cat constantly chasing your food praying for them to just to sit still. So be patient in these matchups. Look for openings, their habits and exploit them, and don’t be afraid to back off and just throw some hadokens if they let you.

GrownManJones

Smash Cadet
As a long time Ryu main from Sm4sh, I can just tell you that matchups against range fighters and spacing characters are gonna be rough, especially if they are a skilled player. When it comes to constant range moves from them, you should be able to parry what they throw when you’re grounded and keep your movement good when in the air. Most range attacks are a bit more on the horizontal side, such as arrows, so when I’m in a tough matchup like that, I’m often staying in the air trying to gain an opening with focus attack cancelling, landing with an aerial, or tomahawk grab (when they get conditioned to shield and have fear). Even though Ken is a bit faster than Ryu, they both are still quite on the hefty and slow side, so matchups like this can often result in you feeling like you are a cat constantly chasing your food praying for them to just to sit still. So be patient in these matchups. Look for openings, their habits and exploit them, and don’t be afraid to back off and just throw some hadokens if they let you.
Best answer I ever read and exactly how I feel.

After a month with Ken I feel he is high mid tier easily winning matches against a lot of the cast but has major problems with top tiers or heavy zoners.

Onto the topic, my friend plays Richter and I heavily spam Hadoken and stand still unless he can deal with it. When he comes I block and punish with Tatsu and mix up afterwards. If I am losing I try and get in with a focus attack dash cancel or just a jump in focus attack I try and land. Once you're losing it seems to be a much harder match than when you can sit back.

Last edited:

QuantumEntanglement

Smash Rookie
Nair is definitely your friend in this MU. I've been sticking to Ryu/Mega Man/Belmonts since Ultimate released, so I can say with confidence that Ryu wins HARD if you can get landing nair BnBs consistently (Nair -> L.dTilt -> H.dTilt -> Tatsu/Hado/Shaku). The Belmonts also lose to anyone good at parrying, since their moves are predictable and slow. Ryu also has a pretty easy time edgeguarding them with nair during their tether animation. Don't be scared to run off against them, since their fair and bair grab the ledge before the actual hitbox comes out, so you're not likely to be hit.

Top Bottom