• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Belay OoS and Other Desync Stuff

moonfolk

Smash Apprentice
So I thought Belay OoS was impossible, but lo and behold, it isn't. When you use the c-stick up OoS desync, you can immediately Belay and for some reason it will work. I think it's because Popo interrupts Nana doing her up-smash, but I don't really know for sure. Now, is Belay OoS worth using for anything? I don't know. I just wanted to talk about my favorite desync, the aforementioned c-stick up OoS desync.

If you've never used it, I'd suggest giving it a whirl. For those of you who don't know, when you press c-stick up while in shield, Nana will up-smash while Popo jumps. I like to use this to SHFFL nair/uair, or use the jump to wavedash with Popo then dsmash. If you shorten your wavedash (like 1/2 or 3/4 length) Nana will follow you, which covers a lot of space. You can charge her upsmash too if you are good at pressing all the buttons.

Something interesting to consider: specials OoS/after WD. Nana upsmash / Popo SH blizzard is pretty neat, as is Nana upsmash / Popo WD > ice block. Weirdly, Nana upsmash / Popo side-b (with or without WD) will suck Nana up and both will squall. If you WD it teleports Nana to you.

I don't know if any of this is applicable yet; I don't get to play against people as often as I'd like in person, but I just wanted to share these findings in case they haven't been discovered/discussed yet.

Last edited:

Volume AF

Smash Cadet
With this theory I just came up with, I see up smash cancelled into belay after hitting the opponent, looks flashy when I picture it lol, but I don't think it would be completely viable at all.

Maybe doing Usmash into FH/SH Blizzard can lead to nana regrab? That'd be sick.

There's a lot of combinations still undiscovered viable, but I think you may be onto something

ilysm

sleepy
Yo, this is awesome! Belay OOS could be useful. Usmash into the strong hit of ice block could be cool against fast-fallers. Usmash into weak hit could be a nice gimmick on floaties. I had actually been meaning to mention a combo I'd played around with for a while; on any character where you can do Sopo dthrow -> usmash, you can also do synced dthrow -> C-Stick up OOS -> Popo fair -> etc. C-stick up OOS -> Popo WD back is also a nice retreat strategy. I think it's a really underexplored desync and I'm really trying to use it more often.

Top Bottom