• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Beijing Smash?

riocosta123

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I know there's a China one already, but China is god damn humongous so it's probably best to divvy it up by region.

Anyways, I'll arrive in Beijing (Haidian district) in August and will be there for at least a year. I don't have any contact info yet, but will update the first post once I get it.

I play both Melee and Brawl pretty decently, but I like Melee more. I suppose I could be talked into 64 if alcohol is involved.

Let's do this!

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
Yeah, I know there's a China one already, but China is god damn humongous so it's probably best to divvy it up by region.

Anyways, I'll arrive in Beijing (Haidian district) in August and will be there for at least a year. I don't have any contact info yet, but will update the first post once I get it.

I play both Melee and Brawl pretty decently, but I like Melee more. I suppose I could be talked into 64 if alcohol is involved.

Let's do this!

Oh my goodness, I am in Beijing right now! I'll be here until early September!

Let's play some Melee man, I am so hungry for it after EVO. If there's any way you could bring an extra controller with you, that'd be fantastic (I didn't cuz I didn't expect to play ANYONE over summer haha).

I'm staying at a hotel in the Chaoyang district. Feel free to email me at vespestas@gmail.com or message me on SB. We definitely should play when you get here.

riocosta123

Smash Journeyman
August 11th. I'll be at Tsinghua University dorms until I find housing.

Also, controllers found!

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
August 11th. I'll be at Tsinghua University dorms until I find housing.

Also, controllers found!

Good stuff. I just visited Tsinghua yesterday, so I know transit routes from the chaoyang district. Pretty nice school if I do say so myself.

riocosta123

Smash Journeyman
UUUUUUGH

My ****ty transformer shorted out once I turned it on and consequently fried my Wii power supply, so now I have a broken setup. But yeah, I'm in Beijing. I'll try and hunt up a replacement but this is some serious bull****! HIDEBUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
UUUUUUGH

My ****ty transformer shorted out once I turned it on and consequently fried my Wii power supply, so now I have a broken setup. But yeah, I'm in Beijing. I'll try and hunt up a replacement but this is some serious bull****! HIDEBUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

FFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Gonna be hard with the console-sale ban here :| There are probably people selling pirated ones though around here, but if not you'll probably needa get one shipped.

Zhongguangcun's a good electronics district. I dunno if you could find a Wii/GC there, but I'm pretty sure you could get a better transformer there (or hell, pirated Wii's probably are already aligned with Chinese power standards).

Here's my number whenever you're down to play. I'm interning weekdays (called in sick today), so if you wanna play on weekdays, I'd only be avaliable after, like, 6. Weekends are completely open though. Call/text me on my Beijing number whenever you're down to play: 13146052639

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
Any place in Zhonggangcun you'd recommend?

Not in particular since it's kind of like a electronic district/free market environment. In other words, you'd have to be on the lookout for good buys and possible haggle with some shop-owners.

EDIT: Also, haven't explored Zhongguancun TOO deeply, so I wouldn't know which stores had Wiis/transformers.

riocosta123

Smash Journeyman
I just went there to get a phone and ended up negotiating for what must've been an eternity over the price of my SIM card. It's a madhouse.

I didn't find anything video game related, but there were also a million side shops that I didn't have time to explore. In all likelihood, I'll just order a new power supply once I get my apartment

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
I just went there to get a phone and ended up negotiating for what must've been an eternity over the price of my SIM card. It's a madhouse.

I didn't find anything video game related, but there were also a million side shops that I didn't have time to explore. In all likelihood, I'll just order a new power supply once I get my apartment

Sounds good. Sounds like you know the inner fixings of your Wii?

riocosta123

Smash Journeyman
I wish. The power supply is just the power cord with the box.

In other news, it looks like I'll be moving to Wudaokou pretty soon.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace

Cool. Actually, that sounds good because I'm sure it's a lot easier just to get the power supply if it's just the power cord and the box haha.

Hope your apartment's near the subway station, just cuz it'll be easier on me haha.

Also, if you need any help w/ moving or anything, lemme know.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace

Can I get a status update?

I'm leaving in 2-3 weeks and it would suck if I didn't get to play you =(

riocosta123

Smash Journeyman
Moved to Wudaokouish area. I'm going to see if I can get a power supply delivered to my school. But yeah, it's going to be tight if you only have two or three weeks left.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
Moved to Wudaokouish area. I'm going to see if I can get a power supply delivered to my school. But yeah, it's going to be tight if you only have two or three weeks left.

Kinda afraid that would happen. Ah well, **** happens. Hopefully doesn't take too long for you to get the power supply though, so we can get some good sessions in.

BTW, are you planning on doing any sight-seeing 'round Beijing? I'm interested in seeing places, but not by myself lol

riocosta123

Smash Journeyman
Power supply get! I somehow ended up in a different tech store than in Zhongguancun and it looks like I got a 3rd party one. Have no idea if it will work, but if you have a TV we can test this bad boy out (my apartment doesn't come with one).

I wouldn't mind doing a little Beijing tour. Next week is still teacher orientation so I'm pretty free in the evenings.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
Power supply get! I somehow ended up in a different tech store than in Zhongguancun and it looks like I got a 3rd party one. Have no idea if it will work, but if you have a TV we can test this bad boy out (my apartment doesn't come with one).

I wouldn't mind doing a little Beijing tour. Next week is still teacher orientation so I'm pretty free in the evenings.

I have a TV in my hotel room, but it's an HDTV. If you wanna test out and bring Melee/Brawl/whatever over though, we can test it out.

riocosta123

Smash Journeyman
If you can find either an hdmi cable or crt tv (haven't seen any of these) I'll go halfsies with ya. Kind of short on cash at the moment since getting my apartment.

Also, if you see any memory cards (left mine in my brother's Wii) I'll pay you back in full if you get one.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
If you can find either an hdmi cable or crt tv (haven't seen any of these) I'll go halfsies with ya. Kind of short on cash at the moment since getting my apartment.

Also, if you see any memory cards (left mine in my brother's Wii) I'll pay you back in full if you get one.

Likewise, if you find anything, just let me know and I can definitely split the cost with you (or just pay full if you're low on cash. you can pay me back when you got mo money)

Ziodyne

Smash Ace

Just a heads up that I can find CRT's on taobao.com and 58.com as far as online sources go.
Offline, I may check out the city today

EDIT: Note that you will probably have to purchase the CRT yourself since I'm kinda leaving relatively soon. I can definitely help out with money though if you're a bit strapped for cash.

riocosta123

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I don't mind paying for a ****ty CRT thing, I just have no idea where to get one in person. All of the techno flea market places deal with the newer stuff. Anyways, if you find a good deal on a store near me or in a classified ad or something let me know. I shouldn't have to pay more than a few hundred RMB since people are giving these away for free in the States.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
Yeah, I don't mind paying for a ****ty CRT thing, I just have no idea where to get one in person. All of the techno flea market places deal with the newer stuff. Anyways, if you find a good deal on a store near me or in a classified ad or something let me know. I shouldn't have to pay more than a few hundred RMB since people are giving these away for free in the States.

I asked on the beijing subreddit and someone said they had heard of a market with secondhand stuff between L10 and L13 (so Zhichunglu, Wudakou area?).

I checked some shops around Zhichunglu station, but didn't find anything of particular interest. Maybe you'd have better luck if you have any time/interest. Also, some people do have ads and stuff on 58.com about selling CRT's in Beijing, but I dunno it might be a bit of a hassle cuz you might have to log in or contact the seller or something like that.

I'll try keeping my eyes peeled, just lemme know if you find something on your own though.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
If you can speak Chinese it'd be awesome to get in contact with this guy:http://bj.58.com/jiadian/14942015811206x.shtml

That website you recommended me is great though. Thank god for Google translate.

Well, I tried, but my Chinese is even worse than I thought haha. Thankfully, I have contacts in China, so I'm hoping one of them can possibly help us negotiate. He might've been asking for a meeting place or asking where you live, neither of which I could really answer.

EDIT: If you have any contacts in China who are actually fluent, it might be more convenient to try to get their help. I'm a disgrace to my race );

riocosta123

Smash Journeyman
That'd be great. I have some supervisors at work that speak Chinese, but they are borderline worthless except when it comes to school stuff.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
That'd be great. I have some supervisors at work that speak Chinese, but they are borderline worthless except when it comes to school stuff.

Alright. Just to ask and be sure, where would a good place to pick up the TV be? Wudakou station? Or your apartment?

riocosta123

Smash Journeyman
If possible, if I could get it near the Weijing Hotel or the Tsinghuayuan bus station (not sure of the spelling on either of those) that'd be great since it's closer to my apartment. If not, not big deal I'll catch a cab or bus from the station. I'll get a better address tomorrow.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
If possible, if I could get it near the Weijing Hotel or the Tsinghuayuan bus station (not sure of the spelling on either of those) that'd be great since it's closer to my apartment. If not, not big deal I'll catch a cab or bus from the station. I'll get a better address tomorrow.
Alright, I'll use these locations for now. If you want to change to a better/possibly more recognizable address though, it would be best to text me at 13146052639 since I can't really access Smashboards at work.

If you have any other contact info I could use so I could message you during the day, that would be convenient. However, if you don't have a cell phone or if you're not comfortable with putting up info online, I understand, just that it makes things a little bit more complicated for me trying to juggle this.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
Okay, so I'm back from work and I've managed to talk to a coworker who's willing to help with the transaction. If there's any detail on a meeting for the transaction you wanna decide, now's a good time to do so.

I will probably get back to you tomorrow on what's gonna happen.

riocosta123

Smash Journeyman
Good luck to Ziodyne back in Cali!

Man, I thought I was at least competent at this game, but Ziodyne's SoCal training utterly ***** me. Sorry I didn't put up a better fight! But yeah, losing 90% of your matches for hours will decrease morale.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
No worries dude!

Melee's a deep game. Always a bigger fish in the ocean, that's a lesson I learned the hard way lol

Uncle Daniel

Smash Rookie
If any of this is still going on I'd love to smash with anyone in the Beijing area. Don't have a controller currently and don't know where to get one, but I'll try my hardest to pick one up. I live in Yanjiaozhen and have Monday and Tuesday off, so I can go into Beijing then.

riocosta123

Smash Journeyman
Still here with a setup and enough controllers, but I'm really busy most weekdays. How long are you here for?

Top Bottom