• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Beginners Guide - How to Edgeguard as Jigglypuff

King Ching

Smash Cadet
Hey Puffballs. I haven't really written any guides before so bare with me, but I wanted to give advice on how to use what is arguebly Jigglypuff's greatest tool in Smash Ultimate - Edge Guarding.

Edge Guarding in general is incredibly strong in Smash Bros Ultimate in comparison to Smash 4. Most of the cast has had their recoveries nerfed, characters can only air dodge once, and characters aerial mobility to get back to ledge just isn't as good in Ultimate. This sets up great situations in which Jigglypuff can kill its opponent very early and easily by keeping the opponent off stage. Since Jigglypuff dies early, its important to get the kill as soon as possible. Jigglypuff can also Edge Guard 100% of the characters in the Smash Ultimate roster.

To Edge Guard, the first step is to:

1. Set up an Edge Guard situation - Obviously Jigglypuff can't Edge Guard if the opponent isn't off stage. So as Jigglypuff, you want the opponent to be off stage as much as possible. When grabbing the opponent, throw them off stage. When using an aerial like fair, nair, bair, make sure you are stringing the opponent off stage towards the blast zone.

2. Read the Opponents Recovery - So now the opponent is off stage and is trying to get back. Remember every opponent has habits. When fighting them observe how they like to recovery or get back on stage. Do they recovery high or low? What move do they use? When do they like to air dodge? When do they use their double jump? Jigglypuff needs to know where the opponent will be when edge guarding them. For example, if the opponent likes to recover low, then Jigglypuff should go low and prepare for an edge guard.

3. Wall of Pain Them - Ok so you've read the opponents habit of getting back to stage, now its time to keep them off the stage. Use Jigglypuff's strong aerials and fast aerial drift to kick them to the blast zone. Jigglypuff's Fair, nair, and bair is best for these situations. (Forward Air) is similar to Jigglypuff's Melee Bair. Both the strong and weak hits of Fair can be strung into other fairs. Nairs can also be strung into other aerials off stage as well. One bair off stage can also kill an opponent incredibly early at about 85%.

4. Pressure Them Off Stage - Even if Jigglypuff misses an edge guard attempt, she can still keep up the pressure when the opponent is off stage. Sometimes even coming close to the opponent off stage is enough to scare them into burning an air dodge, causing them to SD, make a mistake, etc.. So basically when the opponent is off stage, its usually a good idea for Jigglypuff to be off stage with them to apply a lot of pressure (just be careful not to get spiked off stage as Jigglypuff).

5. Condition the Opponents Recovery - Sometimes the opponents can also adapt and learn from their mistakes. For example, an opponent who was recovering low is recovering high now. This can be a good thing as Jigglypuff has changed/conditioned the recovery habits of the opponent to be different. If this happens, Jigglypuff can fake a low recovery edge guard and go for a high recovery edge guard instead. This is just one example of many in which Jigglypuff can scare and condition their opponent into recovering differently.

6. Stage Spike Them - Lets say Jigglypuff missed an edge guard or the opponent has been conditioned to recover close to the stage. This would be a good opportunity to spike the opponent off the stage and into the blast zone. Jigglypuff's nair (Neutral Air) is one of the best moves for stage spiking an opponent. This is because the hit box of nair lasts a very long time and beats out a lot of recoveries and moves back to ledge. Dair, bair, and fair can also be used as mix up tools for stage spiking.

7. 2 Frame Them - If Jigglypuff didn't get any edge guards off stage, she still has one great tool for 2 framing opponents recoveries when they snap the ledge. This tool is Jigglypuff's Downsmash (aka the Jiggly Split). Jigglypuff's downsmash gives her invincible legs. This means its hard for a lot of opponents to try to up b into Jigglypuff when snapping ledge because Jigglypuff's legs don't have a hurt box during downsmash. For example, if timed and spaced correctly, Ness can't up b into Jigglypuff when recovering below her, because her legs will win thanks to the invincibility. The timing of 2 framing with downsmash can be challenging, and certain recoveries that have a sword hit box like Lucina's up b will usually win. This should be used usually when Jigglypuff has missed an edge guard opportunity.

I provided some clips below to show the power of Jigglypuff's Edge Guarding. I am by no means a master at it yet, and I am still learning myself. I just wanted to show people the potential of this character and to help people use her great Edge Guarding tools. Good luck in your matches Puffballs!

Jigglypuff edge guard, early bair kill on Yoshi

Jigglypuff Wall of Pain on ROB

Jigglypuff Wall of Pain on Duckhunt

Jigglypuff edge guard on Lucina

Jigglypuff edge guard on Samus

Top Bottom