• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[beginner] shffl up air fox

pink

Smash Rookie
Hello, so I just started playing/practicing melee for some weeks now. Been practicing wavedashing, shorthopping, waveshine, dash dancing and l cancelling. So shffl + f/d/b-air I can manage now, but shffl + up air is hard to do. It seems I can't push my c stick upwards fast enough before my fast fall, so my up air doesn't connect cause I hit the ground too fast. Now I tried to claw grip my controller just for up air and it works kinda with shffling that way, but it seems pretty drastic to change my grip just for shffl up air.

So I ask of you guys if you have any tips to share on this subject or if you had any troubles while beginning to learn fox.

Uzzi

Smash Cadet
Do you use x or y to jump? Your thumb has less distance to move if you use y. It's possible with x, but you force yourself to move that much faster. Other than that it's just practice. Practicing is the best way to get faster at basic movement, and up air isn't anything difficult.

It helps practicing things in parts. So practice short hop. Then practice short hop up air. Then start adding the fastfall. In the end you want complete control over your character, so timing when you want to fastfall or if you want an instant up air or a late up air, and also forward/backward drift. Hope this helps

Last edited:
Top Bottom