• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Beginner And Advanced Shield Options By AceStarThe3rd

With shield mechanics changing recently in Smash 4 it seems as good a time as ever to sit down and review what options players have out of their shields. AceStarThe3rd recently made a video on his Youtube channel that covers everything from the very basic options to the more complex and explains how each of these options can be done alongside what they can be used for. For new players be sure to give it a watch and learn and for veterans of the game take the time for a quick refresher course!

Like the video? Be sure to let us know in the comments below and subscribe to AceStarThe3rd on Youtube to keep up with his future videos.

Comments

D
The only things I've done out of shield most of the time were rolling, dodging or jumping. Watching this video definitely gave me an idea of what you can do against your opponent instead, so props to Ace for making it!

So what I'm getting from this is that the only true OoS options that immediately cancel the act of shielding itself are:
Forward/Backward roll
Sidestep
Jump
Shield grab
Everything else is technically just "an option done immediately after shield-drop," am I on the right track here?
Also are USmash and UpB the only things that can be done during a jumpsquat to cancel a jump?

Great Shield Options explanation!

Also are USmash and UpB the only things that can be done during a jumpsquat to cancel a jump?
Yes, But just by jumping you could use all your aerial in your Defensive Option and Meta, its all depends too which character do you use.

Last edited:
If your character has a zair, release shield IMMEDIATELY after jumping OOS if you want to do an aerial. As stupid as this sounds, any A button input (including a C-stick set to tilt or smash) you use will cause you to throw out your zair.

Also, setting one of your shoulder triggers to Jump instead of shield will help you out a lot for OoS options involving jumping or jump-cancelling.

With shield mechanics changing recently in Smash 4 it seems as good a time as ever to sit down and review what options players have out of their shields. AceStarThe3rd recently made a video on his Youtube channel that covers everything from the very basic options to the more complex and explains how each of these options can be done alongside what they can be used for. For new players be sure to give it a watch and learn and for veterans of the game take the time for a quick refresher course!

Like the video? Be sure to let us know in the comments below and subscribe to AceStarThe3rd on Youtube to keep up with his future videos.
I loved this video! I never really understood which frames allowed for the up smash until now. I can't wait to practice tonight :)

Finally! Some hard explanation on Shield Mechanics! I honestly didn't know how the change seriously affected them, and my options out of shield, so I'm glad I watched this. Great find LiteralGrill LiteralGrill !

Last edited:
A fantastic and detailed explanation of OoS options explained by an underrated Smasher! Keep it up with these excellent posts! :love:

Shield Options...
In "No Shield Stun" Smash 4...
You can do basically anything out of shield.
Why did this need to be made.
hey man, look at all the people ot helped. also, i really hope im missing the sarcasm because with this shieldstun patch sm4sh is seeing some crazy shield pressure

Wait so you cant just take your nair plane to safety whenever someones attacking your shield?

Ya know if it weren't for Rage and the defensive play style and Rosalina, I might actually give a **** about Sm4sh now :dkmelee:

Wait so you cant just take your nair plane to safety whenever someones attacking your shield?

Ya know if it weren't for Rage and the defensive play style and Rosalina, I might actually give a **** about Sm4sh now :dkmelee:
So why did you go into a Smash 4 article just to talk **** about Smash 4?

Are we really doing this again? What the Hell is wrong with this fandom?
Well, one thing that's wrong with this site is biased mods. Melee players have free reign on the entire site, while Brawl/Sm4sh players are lucky to get away with mild jabs at Melee or its playerbase, on the Brawl or Sm4sh boards, without getting a warning or infraction point.

Well when 95% of the front page is taken up by Smash 4 stuff, its kind of hard to avoid
For starters, it's not that much. A little over half, maybe as much as 2/3rds is taken up by articles including (but not exclusively) Smash 4.

Secondly, that doesn't mean you have to go into an article clearly marked as Smash 4 and try to stir up trouble.

Last edited:
Well, one thing that's wrong with this site is biased mods. Melee players have free reign on the entire site, while Brawl/Sm4sh players are lucky to get away with mild jabs at Melee or its playerbase, on the Brawl or Melee boards, without getting a warning or infraction point.
Why does that fail to surprise me?
Well when 95% of the front page is taken up by Smash 4 stuff, its kind of hard to avoid
That's your piss-poor excuse? If you can't stand Sm4sh then you should just avoid it altogether and stick to your inner circle of interests like what respectful/sensible people do.

If your character has a zair, release shield IMMEDIATELY after jumping OOS if you want to do an aerial. As stupid as this sounds, any A button input (including a C-stick set to tilt or smash) you use will cause you to throw out your zair.

Also, setting one of your shoulder triggers to Jump instead of shield will help you out a lot for OoS options involving jumping or jump-cancelling.
Omg you can Zair too! You've just made my Day

Omg you can Zair too! You've just made my Day
Why wouldn't you? You can jump out of shield. It's not any special form of jump, as far as the game is concerned it's a regular grounded jump. As such, you can perform any action during it that you can during a jump. Just like you can JC USmash/Special during any normal jump, you can do so using an OoS jump. When you leave the ground, you can do an aerial, use your second jump, zair, airdodge, or use any special, because it's considered a normal jump.

The only thing that's special about an OoS jump is that you don't have to take the shield drop frames. You go straight from shielding to jumpsquat, instead of shield -> shield drop -> jumpsquat

Great Shield Options explanation!

Yes, But just by jumping you could use all your aerial in your Defensive Option and Meta, its all depends too which character do you use.
Does this tech only work with Up-B and USmash?
What about Ike?
Since his USmash is too slow to be thrown OoS and his Up-B being highly unsafe and mainly for recovery, what options does he have?
Am I right in assuming that jumping OoS into one of his aerials would be the only good choice next to the basic things like dodging, grabbing and rolling?

Top Bottom