• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Beggining Marth Tips

Melee_Melody

Smash Rookie
Looking to main Marth and looking for things to start practicing. Here is my current list feel free to let me know if anything is missing. I know there are a lot of guides on the internet, sometimes its better in writing.

Wavedash
Wavelands
L cancelling
Spacie chaingrabs
Dash Dancing

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Learn to act on the IASA frames of dtilt (it has a longish animation, but you can actually cancel it very early).
Learn the tipping point of dash into run (so you know at what point doing a dtilt becomes available).
Learn to JC grab (jumping and immediately cancelling the jump animiation with a grab yields a standing grab)

Don't prioritize the chain grab on spacies too much, it's very hard to do, and many, many good players actually fail it miserably.

Raycu

Smash Apprentice
Don't forget to focus heavily on spacing, neutral, and understanding aerial drift and mixup. A lot of early Marths forget how important that is for his game plan.

Urushi

Smash Rookie
One thing I personally find important is the hax dash with marth to mixup coming off the ledge as most of his options aren't that great off of the ledge

PolishSmash

Smash Journeyman
Learn to crouch cancel out of your dash or run to down tilt. Helpful in a lot of matchups and is a great tool for edgeguarding, approaching, and other situations. Will definitely improve your Marth game. At the same time this will teach you to crouch cancel out of your run which is helpful in a lot of situations. You can run, crouch cancel and forward smash immediately (Ken did that). You can run behind someone and crouch cancel to stop your run and grab someone from behind. (Mew2king does that). Run crouch cancel up tilt.

So anyway, learn to crouch cancel lol.

Top Bottom