• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Beefy Smash Doods Share Five Things Pro Players Do

Beefy-Smash-Doods-share-five-things.jpg

The Beefy Smash Doods have uploaded another YouTube video about Super Smash Bros for Wii U, a game which has a long history of tournament play, seen many high-level matches over the years and has a ton of sources of information for competitive players floating around the web. Despite that, there’s still a large amount of material and techniques that players are often unaware of, and these things frequently can be helpful to know about. In this video, Beefy Smash Doods team member cFive walks us through five tricks professional players use that you might not have known about or noticed before, like delaying your follow-ups or turning around before you shield. The video isn’t just about what the five things are though, it also covers how to use these things and why they’re useful. If you want to see it for yourself, give it a watch below!

So, how many of these things, if any, did you know about before watching the video? Did you find any of them to be particularly helpful? Please let us know in the comments!

Mitchell "Zerp" Brenkus

Comments

Delaying attacks. The only time I do this is to see what the opponent will do and punish accordingly, since if I delay at all, it's like almost guaranteed that I won't get the follow up and get punished for trying to attack when they dodge or use a fast attack.

Predicting opponents - I feel like this is how I get most of my wins as I don't have the best control of my characters (4 frame short hops are hard)

Turn around shield - I never do this, it's something I have to work on. Walking is incredibly hard for me, I usually accidentally dash. So when I try walking in matches I usually focus so much on trying to walk that I usually take too much time that I get punished. With that said, it only seems to be a problem with certain characters. I don't have as much of a problem walking with Lucario or Link because their dash attacks are incredibly unsafe and you'll get punished often for accidentally doing dash attacks. Whereas with Meta Knight he dash attack/grab is so good, and I can get away with spacing by jumping in the air so he spoils me with that. So you'll probably never get punished for not walking in many matches. So if I'm not paying attention to walking as an option, I might start autopiloting and start to be bad at walking with him.

Recovery option select - I just flatout didn't know that was a thing. I wonder if that will return for Smash Ultimate.

Timing recovery options - I do try it, but it doesn't really ever seem to do anything. Good players just react to everything or at least use something that covers multiple options, bad players won't really even try very hard to guard you.

Predicting opponents - I feel like this is how I get most of my wins as I don't have the best control of my characters (4 frame short hops are hard)
4 frame short hops are hard? NO. Just no. Try short hopping with Fox or Sheik in Melee, THEN you will see what "hard" is.

4 frame short hops are hard? NO. Just no. Try short hopping with Fox or Sheik in Melee, THEN you will see what "hard" is.
I don't remember having a hard time short hopping with them when I grew up playing Melee the few times I played Fox. Playing it right now and I was short hopping with ease with Fox, and it was harder for me to do it with Sheik. I can't find any sites that have frame data anywhere. Doing a quick google search and it just leads to some smashboards post, where it says both Sheik and Fox are airborne on frame 4. Which I assume means it's 3 frames. Theoretically I shouldn't be able to do it, especially since I do have troubles with short hopping with Fox in Smash 4 somewhat. Sheik being harder to short hop with than fox is jump going to be because Sheik is a much slower character compared to Fox which kinda slows my hands down a bit. It's kind of why Samus is the hardest character for me to short hop with in Smash 4 because she feels so slow normally because she stays in the air for a year, but she has a 4 frame short hop.

There's 2 things I think that could make short hopping in Melee easier than Smash 4. First off, I'm using X to jump, not the R button. I may not have played competitively when I grew up with Melee, but I got very used to pressing X to jump, so it probably makes things a bit easier to do. Whereas Pressing R to jump still doesn't feel natural to me at all because the button is so much bigger, and if you don't press the button the right way, you can press the button down but nothing will happen because you didn't hit it in the correct spot. The other reason I can think of is that I'm using a wireless controller for Smash 4 in case that creates some inconsistencies compared to using a wired controller.

I don't remember having a hard time short hopping with them when I grew up playing Melee the few times I played Fox. Playing it right now and I was short hopping with ease with Fox, and it was harder for me to do it with Sheik. I can't find any sites that have frame data anywhere. Doing a quick google search and it just leads to some smashboards post, where it says both Sheik and Fox are airborne on frame 4. Which I assume means it's 3 frames. Theoretically I shouldn't be able to do it, especially since I do have troubles with short hopping with Fox in Smash 4 somewhat. Sheik being harder to short hop with than fox is jump going to be because Sheik is a much slower character compared to Fox which kinda slows my hands down a bit. It's kind of why Samus is the hardest character for me to short hop with in Smash 4 because she feels so slow normally because she stays in the air for a year, but she has a 4 frame short hop.

There's 2 things I think that could make short hopping in Melee easier than Smash 4. First off, I'm using X to jump, not the R button. I may not have played competitively when I grew up with Melee, but I got very used to pressing X to jump, so it probably makes things a bit easier to do. Whereas Pressing R to jump still doesn't feel natural to me at all because the button is so much bigger, and if you don't press the button the right way, you can press the button down but nothing will happen because you didn't hit it in the correct spot. The other reason I can think of is that I'm using a wireless controller for Smash 4 in case that creates some inconsistencies compared to using a wired controller.
If you're using a shoulder button to jump, that would explain quite a bit. However, even though fox's jump squat is only three frames, it's still a frame harder than a smash 4 three frame short hop. Allow me to explain. In post-Melee games, the game determines your jump height by whether or not the jump input still exists on the first frame of being airborne. In Melee, the game determines this on the last frame of the jump squat rather than the frame after. Anyway... why you using the r button to jump? I don't play Smash 4, so maybe there is something I'm missing here.

Anyway... why you using the r button to jump? I don't play Smash 4, so maybe there is something I'm missing here.
Using the C-stick to attack and R to jump, you can keep your momentum and have better control over your aerial movement while doing aerial attacks. An easy example of this is if you wanted to keep going to the right, but wanted to do a back air you can do that with that control setup, whereas with the default setup you have to use the left analog stick to the left to input a back air, which would make you lose some momentum. Setting R to jump is because it's easier to press R then to use the C-stick and press the jump button at the same time using just your thumb.

With that said, I have not tried to use the claw grip much. Which is just bringing in a finger to press the jump button for you. Making you use the middle finger for grab and the next finger for shielding (unless you want to shield with the left side, which I never do but perhaps I could try it out)

Top Bottom