• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Becoming a commentator

RodHQ

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rodo92
Not sure if this is the best place to put this. But what are some good tips for newbie commentators?

Also is there a commentator discord like with all the characters?

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Not sure if this is the best place to put this. But what are some good tips for newbie commentators?

Also is there a commentator discord like with all the characters?
I am not aware of a commentator server that has the full roster besides the character servers, but the commentators do have a server with some notable commentators in there.

They do a few events like a group commentary analysis for big events or a commentator version of a replay analysis where they give feed back on the matches commentators provide commentary for and post in the server; not to mention they have a resource chabnel full of documents too that can come in handy.

Here is a link to their server. I set it to never expire and gave it a 1 time use. If the link does.not work, let me know and I'll send another one.

https://discord.gg/PFrfp

EEvisu

Smash Lord
Personality makes up a large part of being an Esports caster. When people tune in to listen to your casting, it’s because they like you, and as far as Esports casting is concerned, personality is synonymous with style.

There are two main types of casting, though they aren’t mutually exclusive:

• Play-by-play casting involves giving a running commentary of the action as it happens in real-time. The nature of great play-by-play casting requires a quick mind, articulate speech, and good knowledge of what’s going on.
  • Analytical casting, fills the gaps when there isn’t much play-by-play action. Some commentators are experts who can provide in-depth analysis of strategies while other forms of this can be color commentary which exist in the form of statistics, background information, and humor.
To succeed as an Esports caster, you should know which kind of commentary best suits your personality. Match broadcasts tend to pair a play-by-play with a color caster, so it’s better to excel at one than to be mediocre at both. I suggest learning and playing the game first above all else and starting at a local level.

Good luck!

Top Bottom