• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Beating the Belmonts

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
So, I'll be the first to admit that I'm having a bit of a hard time adapting to play against the new characters in smash ultimate. With that said, hands down my biggest struggle at the moment is dealing with Simon and Richter. It feels as if this character is tailor made to fight Wii Fit Trainer. On the one hand, they have a great projectile game that can apply a ton of pressure on all but the largest of stages. On the other hand, their incredible zoning tools easily seem to shut out Wii Fit's poor approach options. Even if you do manage to get in, their own zone breaking tools allow them to quickly escape and start zoning you out again. It feels particularly bad trying to get back on the stage from the ledge, where they can cover almost everything at once, but also catch landings on stage with ease. Is this the terrible match up it feels like, or is there some trick I just haven't caught onto yet?

Mark The Page

Smash Apprentice
I've had success with crouching, instant dash attacks at close range, and using Header on the ledge. The Belmonts are also prone to juggling.

Your Header beats their projectiles by passing right over them. When you've knocked them away, you have the perfect opening to charge SS and Breathing, and send over another Header, which you can then follow up with the SS you just charged. Mixups like that allow you to greatly extend a lead and frustrate your opponent. You win at close range with tilts and instant dash attacks, and you win at long range if you get your projectiles going.

So then the goal is to keep momentum in your favor and not let the Belmonts body you. Your worst position is being trapped against the edge of the stage with nowhere to run... which is one more reason why I say never to use WFT on Final Destination. Aside from that, a good out might be to jump and use a diagonal inward air dodge to get past him or right in front of him, where you're back in the advantage.

Basically, it's a lopsided matchup that swings back and forth depending on how long each player can prevent the other from getting their bearings. You win at close- and long-range, they win at mid-range.

Kazmyer

Smash Rookie
Charge Sun Salutation and use if you read a cross/axe throw. Stay outside of axe range and crouch under the cross to charge your Sun Salutations. Use the threat of a full SS to work your way in with ball. Get in their face and use ball to punish their retreat when they try to reset neutral.

Top Bottom