• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Beating shield grab with AC bair like MaNg0

TheChocolateLava

Smash Cadet
Tired of having your ac bairs shieldgrabbed?

https://twitter.com/ChocLavaSSBM/status/829209668538998785

Has this ever happened to you?

Improper AC bair execution = death

This bair was bad because I analog jumped at my opponent, hitting them early. This is a bad habit I've had for a while, and have trouble shaking, because mang0 seems to do it every tournament and no one shieldgrabs him!

but what mang0 is actually doing is subtly different. instead of jumping at his opponent with ac bair, he jumps straight up (neutral jump) and then drifts into his opponent.

Here's mang0 doing it to syrox and then getting a sick edgeguard

I tested vs 20xx full shield frame perfect grab. When I test in debug mode later I'll post frame data.

Bad ac bair

Good ac bair

I also started some discussion on reddit

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
Best case scenario for this type of bair: Hit frame 19, deal 6 frames of shield stun, land frame 23, go through 4 frames of landing lag (23rd frame is the first). -1 on shield. Now you might not be hitting like that every time, but the awkwardness of dealing with a delayed hit on shield like that when moving early means you'll get hit isn't something most people are great at dealing with. If they try to act early, but you drift in more, they just get hit. It's one of the better uses of AC bair vs shield for sure. Also since grab is frame 7 you have a fair bit of leeway dealing with that option specifically.

Top Bottom