• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bear's Guide to Hosting Online Events with Smash.gg

Untitled-1.png

Greetings everyone!

Bassem "Bear" Dahdouh here, and I wanted to reach out to all Super Smash Bros. for Wii U TOs who wish to run online events using smashgg’s online tournament platform. Over the past couple of months, I ran Road to Shine and Key to The PG House: The Big House 6 Smash 4 Online Qualifier. Each event ran on separate days that led up to a final bracket on their corresponding days.

I wanted to let others know that anyone can use the smashgg platform for free to enter, online Smash Wii U tournaments, as smashgg has many features that make it a smooth experience for both TOs and players. Players will go through the regular registration process of any smashgg event, but will also add their NNID when they register. All of the tournament’s communication can be done within the “Dashboard” of an event, where players who face each other can chat, and will check in and go through an automated task process. The tasks are essentially the regular procedures of any tournament, including stage bans & character selections.

I listed some FAQs below, along with respective links that cover anything you may be curious to know about playing in or hosting an online tournament on smashgg:
  • Is using smashgg free for online events?
    • Yes it’s 100% free for any TO who wishes to use the platform.
  • Can I charge a venue fee or entry fee for my event?
    • All the online events on smashgg must be free to enter in order to comply with U.S. law.
  • How do online tournaments work on smashgg?
    • When running an online tournament, there are a few differences from an in-person tournament. Players will check-in, select their characters, stage strike, and self-report their scores online. For TOs, there are extra steps in setting up brackets, round timers, and DQ timers, as well as additional chat and moderation tools.
  • How will I actually TO the event?
    • When you’re a TO for an online event on smashgg, your main go-to tool is the “Match Dashboard”, where you have tools to monitor and report sets in an organized manner. You can filter by the status of each match or by the phase and pool. It will display what step the players are on, such as "check-in", "reporting game", as well as an auto-DQ timer if they have not checked-in yet. Any sets that have called a moderator will be pushed to the top of the list where you can easily see them.
  • Can I run Twitch sub-only tournaments on smashgg?
    • Yes! We now support Twitch sub-only online events with smashgg. You will set this up as a custom registration field and choose the “Twitch Sub” option. If you’re interested in the sub-only smashgg integration, please reach out to us. You may contact me or smashgg by emailing hello@smash.gg or DM @smashgg on Twitter.
I know that was a lot at once, but I do hope this helps better explain our online features to any Smash 4 TOs who may be interested in hosting their own online event. If there are any questions, please feel free to comment or reach out so that I can help in any way I can. I’m looking forward to seeing more online events for Smash Wii U.

Much appreciated,

Bassem “Bear” Dahdouh

Last edited:

Comments

I had been thinking about running an online qualifier for some time now, and was actually about to reach out to you :p
This guide is basically everything I was going to ask for.

Top Bottom