• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Bayonetta Technique Compendium and Q&A

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
if you sligtly tap B during UpB will longer the IASA if I recall. but if you just tap it, jump ASAP on the highest peak and you should be able to UpB like 2 frames after the DJ.

practice on jumping IASA after UpB first to get that timing and when you get that into finger memory, add UpB later.

for that precise stuff, I actually move "my finger" from R to Y and have my thumb on B. I find R on jump perfect on shield but too "long" to input on that combo

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
So wanting to pick up this character as a secondary... anyone got any tips/videos of what to bring into training mode 1st?

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
So wanting to pick up this character as a secondary... anyone got any tips/videos of what to bring into training mode 1st?
Work on movement, memorizing the timing for SHFF Bair and Nair. Learn Dtilt's spacing. If you have two controllers, have Mario Charge Usmash and then practice Time punishes. Killing yourself after every time to refresh it. Practice cancelling BC. Learn to JC twist. And how to DABK. Then, practice combos.

Unowninator

Smash Cadet
Unfortunately, it's on the 3DS & it won't let me upload it to the server thanks to the stupid posting limit. But basically it was Mewtwo vs Bayonetta. I spin her with Confusion, and she uses Afterburner Kick and misses me, and then immediately does another somehow. How was this possible? http://youtu.be/Sey_4EY2FJg

I hope this was the right forum to ask; I usually don't go here, but someone advised this site after little success on gamefaqs

Sonicninja115

Probably some glitch that has to do with command grabs. I will test it tomorrow afternoon, but someone could test it before me if they want.

Sonicninja115

I forgot to reply. So far, nothing. I am going to try and recreate it as best as possible, but I don't have a 3ds, so I probably can't pikazz pikazz Do you know what this is?

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
I am pretty sure its because the Confusion grab itself doesnt give any hitstun but its still acts during some frames that gives damage to you. from what I understand, you got "hit" out from your SideB but still you finished it and never registrered you used the move, allowing it to reuse it again! in theory that would make it able to use it thrice if you did hit someone during the second time

Astrofallz

Smash Cadet
NNID
Astrofallz
3DS FC
4055-5220-2861
Got a question for you guys. Does anyone know how long you have after hitting an opponent with ABK to use the second one? There have been numerous times in training mode where I will do a combo and not have access to my second ABK if I take too long to get to it. I can upload a vid if possible.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Got a question for you guys. Does anyone know how long you have after hitting an opponent with ABK to use the second one? There have been numerous times in training mode where I will do a combo and not have access to my second ABK if I take too long to get to it. I can upload a vid if possible.
Roughly a second, I think. I haven't done any rigorous testing, but that's my best guess.

dABK > fair 1 > Twist > ABK usually works, but if you're a hair too slow on the inputs then it will fail.

Astrofallz

Smash Cadet
NNID
Astrofallz
3DS FC
4055-5220-2861
Roughly a second, I think. I haven't done any rigorous testing, but that's my best guess.

dABK > fair 1 > Twist > ABK usually works, but if you're a hair too slow on the inputs then it will fail.
Thanks you, that combo is the exact one I've been working on and I've been relatively inconsistent with getting the second ABK to come out. Guess I'm...TOO SLOW!

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
I'm a bit confused about ABK, I thought if I hit somebody once, I can do it once more? but when I try to do a second ABK in the same combo it won't detect the input. Why's that?

Astrofallz

Smash Cadet
NNID
Astrofallz
3DS FC
4055-5220-2861
I'm a bit confused about ABK, I thought if I hit somebody once, I can do it once more? but when I try to do a second ABK in the same combo it won't detect the input. Why's that?
I just talked about this earlier on this very page. You have about 1 second to use your 2nd ABK before it becomes unavailable.

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
I just talked about this earlier on this very page. You have about 1 second to use your 2nd ABK before it becomes unavailable.
Yeah, you're right. I was pretty ignorant for missing that, I only read the last post previously pretty much. I think you'll have to buff the last ABK within the time frame then to get it to string properly.

JJpalmer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jjpalmer
3DS FC
2664-2947-4020
what are the best options to follow up a down and away di fair i havent been able to figure it out and people having been falling out of my combos.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Fair 1 is a very, VERY interesting move.
Followups depend on what part of the hitbox you connect with.
You generally want to hit with the inner part of it so it follows smoothly to other moves.
If you happen to hit with the outer hitbox of the move it will likely be unable to hit to anything else but the Fair 2>3 (maybe slight delay>ABK?).

I'd say experiment on what setups into Fair, what hitbox you hit with and how you can followup.
:196:

Rose alumna

Smash Journeyman
Do moves with armor retain it when they activate witch time?
.O. Oooo interesting question.
But I don't think they should sense the time for super armor is relatively short and is usually at the begginging of moves correct me if I'm wrong. Even if they do retain there super armor you could just wait it out by charging a smash.
I feel as though I haven't answered your question and I rambled on QWQ my bad.

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
Has anyone attempted down throw to aerial side b (to catch their jump out attempts? Also can you follow up on reaction to their Di on dabk?

Last edited:

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Has anyone attempted down throw to aerial side b (to catch their jump out attempts? Also can you follow up on reaction to their Di on dabk?
I've never tried dthrow-air sideB, but I've tried dthrow-dsmash at the ledge and gotten spikes if they jump or attack. Read their airdodge and hold it for a sec and you'll spike 'em.

Exdeath

Smash Master
I'm having a lot of difficulty converting the second Up-B into Uair consistently. Ideas/tips?

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario

What are some ways to DI/escape out of this particular combo? I just struggle alot when a Bayo tries to combo me with f-airs and downward ABK.

Ultra*HappyCharge

Smash Apprentice
Hello guys! I just got Bayo, Corrin and Cloud recently and they're fun to use. Although I do have concerns and I came here to ask how really Witch Time works or rather, how to make Witch Time's duration on an enemy longer? I did practice a bit on using it and obviously because I'm facing a level 8-9 cpu, I do fail on using on the first try. Does multiple spamming of WT without activating the slowdown afterwards will affect how long it will slows an enemy later on? Thanks ^_^

Zult

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zultie
Hello guys! I just got Bayo, Corrin and Cloud recently and they're fun to use. Although I do have concerns and I came here to ask how really Witch Time works or rather, how to make Witch Time's duration on an enemy longer? I did practice a bit on using it and obviously because I'm facing a level 8-9 cpu, I do fail on using on the first try. Does multiple spamming of WT without activating the slowdown afterwards will affect how long it will slows an enemy later on? Thanks ^_^
It does

DiverseStyle

Smash Cadet
Hello all, a Shulk main here who's interested in picking up Bayo despite the social stigma the community has given her, even after the patch. I'd like an opinion on a few things:

1. What are Bayo's best OoS options when the opponent is too far away for a Witch Twist to connect?

2. What are the best ways Bayo can deal with people that roll/spot dodge a lot, especially opponents that like to throw out a projectile, roll, rinse and repeat?

Thanks for the input!

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Hello all, a Shulk main here who's interested in picking up Bayo despite the social stigma the community has given her, even after the patch. I'd like an opinion on a few things:

1. What are Bayo's best OoS options when the opponent is too far away for a Witch Twist to connect?
Down tilt.

2. What are the best ways Bayo can deal with people that roll/spot dodge a lot, especially opponents that like to throw out a projectile, roll, rinse and repeat?

Thanks for the input!
Heel slide (side B).

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I'd say rolling is actually a good OOS option.

But yes, Witch Twist has not the greatest horizontal range so you may have trouble landing it against disjointed characters, but Heel Slide is a great tool for punishing defensive options.

DiverseStyle

Smash Cadet
I'd say rolling is actually a good OOS option.

But yes, Witch Twist has not the greatest horizontal range so you may have trouble landing it against disjointed characters, but Heel Slide is a great tool for punishing defensive options.

Thanks; what would you suggest against projectiles that Heel Slide can't get under, like PK Fire for example?

Patriarachnid

Smash Cadet
NNID
Patriarachnid
3DS FC
1134-8770-6048
So, silly thing I discovered on For Glory today: apparently, if you use a smash attack, and then are pushed by, for example, the water from :4pacman:'s Hydrant, Bayonetta will move, but the Giant Fist won't. If it is the Hydrant that pushes you, the Fist will actually hit (and likely destroy) it while Bayo's being pushed away.

I won a game against Pac-Man using this.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
So, silly thing I discovered on For Glory today: apparently, if you use a smash attack, and then are pushed by, for example, the water from :4pacman:'s Hydrant, Bayonetta will move, but the Giant Fist won't. If it is the Hydrant that pushes you, the Fist will actually hit (and likely destroy) it while Bayo's being pushed away.

I won a game against Pac-Man using this.
I guess it is similar to how (Doctor) Mario's cape will turn Bayonetta around, but the Wicked Weave will still face he original direction.
Maybe we'd need to lab WW more.

Flamegeyser

Smash Journeyman
It's been a while (sorta) but if it hasn't been mentioned, an excellent option towards the edge is run off and ABK back on. The angle will get you back on stage and it can surprise opponents.

Top Bottom