• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bayonetta Stage Discussion Thread

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
We could just say walled stages should become the main go-to, but I think we shall look more deeper.

First thing that comes to mind: Yes. Walled stages are like gourmet pound cake for Bayonetta. The sheer lift of afterburner kick on a wall without any blockage above Bayonetta is not bad. Bayonetta can have recovering skills to that of a fully-charged Villager Up B. Got it? Good. Now here's something that comes to my mind every time I think Walled Stages and Bayonetta at the same time. Only Omega Stages have walls. Meaning that platforms will never be there when you need them, but does Bayonetta need platforms? On paper: Platforms is a MUST for Bayonetta since ascending juggle combos are very effective, but that leads to two things that really need to have some sort of conclusion.

1. Starting aerial combos from the ground on platform stages can be a bit... wonky. If you are not careful enough, your combo's can literally get interrupted by the landing lag from Bayonetta's attacks when you land on a platform. Her afterburner kicks and Witch Twist aren't fast enough to prevent this. It's debatable if this is a major weakness, a bad flaw, a minor annoyance, or just nothing.

2. Starting aerial combos from platforms can lead to a quick KO, all I have to say is that, an opponent with a decent common sense knows that being on platforms whilst fighting Bayonetta is a major no-no. Unless Bayonetta has enough zoning skills to force opponents to be on platforms.

My personal opinion, Windy Hill Zone is best for Bayonetta. Since the walls, no platform hinderance, and the background makes uncharged projectiles from Bullet Climax slightly hard to see. (That may just be my colorblindness though...)

Anyway, discuss.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Trio platforms like BF can be good for movement mix-ups and such. As the gaps and layout allows for multiple options from one area.

Lylat is Jank, but Usmash covers all tech options on a platform and BC is a bit OP at times.

I have a recovery video, ABK bounce and stuff. Would you like me to post it as an argument for walled stages?

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Trio platforms like BF can be good for movement mix-ups and such. As the gaps and layout allows for multiple options from one area.

Lylat is Jank, but Usmash covers all tech options on a platform and BC is a bit OP at times.

I have a recovery video, ABK bounce and stuff. Would you like me to post it as an argument for walled stages?
Go right ahead. This is a discussion.

Kathuzada

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kathuzada
I don't think platforms help her out that much. I feel they limit her movement options in the air, but against projectile spamming characters I do believe they can help us get around those projectiles. If an opponent can escape from your combo, which will happen more frequently as people learn to mix up their SDI/DI, the higher up the platform they land on the sooner they can punish you. Granted you can do things to avoid an punish, but at the end of a long combo that doesn't kill landing on a higher platform is dangerous for us due to the extended end lag.

IMO:
I will always pick
1. Omega with walls (Nice open space, walls for recovery)
2. FD (Nice open space)
3. Smashville (Open Space, Low Platforms)

Not opposed to
4. T&C (Low Ceiling, Open Space, Rarely any high platforms
5. Lylat Cruise (Open Space, Low Platforms, Tilting can help/hurt recovery, disrupts projectiles of some characters)
6. Duck Hunt (Ducks/Dog can ruin combos, wall is nice)

I will always strike/ban these ones
7. DL
8. BF

Rezialn

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rezialn
3DS FC
4441-8710-9608
I would never take Cloud to Battlefield. The advantage he gains is much greater than what Bayonetta gains. I would specifically take him to FD, and normally would not take Bayonetta there at all if I could avoid it.

Megamang

Smash Lord
I actually think platforms can assist with projectile characters. As megaman, I almost always try to strike to battlefield. The platforms above mean aerial approaches are neutered, more predictable and less effective. This is especially true vs Bayonetta, where divekick is a really powerful punish to laggy projectiles (anything non pellet really) but is severely hampered by the battlefield platforms. They also help defensive play as mega, because an u-throw puts them in a worse situation. Mega's weight is also a great benefit at the huge blastzones of battlefield. Bayonetta especially likes tight blastzones in my experience, as she is gonna die approximately the same way whereas dair and roof combos get boosted hugely on smaller stages. Notable exceptions are kill throw characters, where small blastzones boost their killing power substantially.

However, platforms do provide escape options with uABK.

Unlike ZSS, bayonetta doesn't get huge combo extensions from platforms, since if she is far in her combo she will suffer pretty immense landing lag. SH BC actually does decent platform pressure though.

Its still up for debate in many MUs, but I would definitely ban battlefield against Cloud, Ike, Mario, and ZSS.

Also, this is the point where I remind everyone to learn to shield drop in this game. Not only does it transfer to every smash game (woo!), it is really useful as bayonetta. Surpassing the shield drop frames can be the difference between getting punished and getting a platform drop bair or nair. Especially dirty is a shield dropped Witch Time, since many people presume the platform situation means free pressure, you can often catch them doing a uair.

ElMoro995

Smash Cadet
I actually think platforms can assist with projectile characters. As megaman, I almost always try to strike to battlefield. The platforms above mean aerial approaches are neutered, more predictable and less effective. This is especially true vs Bayonetta, where divekick is a really powerful punish to laggy projectiles (anything non pellet really) but is severely hampered by the battlefield platforms. They also help defensive play as mega, because an u-throw puts them in a worse situation. Mega's weight is also a great benefit at the huge blastzones of battlefield. Bayonetta especially likes tight blastzones in my experience, as she is gonna die approximately the same way whereas dair and roof combos get boosted hugely on smaller stages. Notable exceptions are kill throw characters, where small blastzones boost their killing power substantially.

However, platforms do provide escape options with uABK.

Unlike ZSS, bayonetta doesn't get huge combo extensions from platforms, since if she is far in her combo she will suffer pretty immense landing lag. SH BC actually does decent platform pressure though.

Its still up for debate in many MUs, but I would definitely ban battlefield against Cloud, Ike, Mario, and ZSS.

Also, this is the point where I remind everyone to learn to shield drop in this game. Not only does it transfer to every smash game (woo!), it is really useful as bayonetta. Surpassing the shield drop frames can be the difference between getting punished and getting a platform drop bair or nair. Especially dirty is a shield dropped Witch Time, since many people presume the platform situation means free pressure, you can often catch them doing a uair.
I have been trying to shielddrop->bair from the lower platforms on BF, but most of the times I fastfall out of shield drop and bair doesn't come out in time, idk how to do it correctly... I make the left stick return in his neutral position as soon as I see that bayonetta drops from the platform and then I do bair with cstick, still I managed to do it correctly only a few times in training mode because of FFing

Deaga

Smash Cadet
I really like BF/Dreamland as Bayonetta for pretty much what Sonicninja said. The platforms give you many movement mixup options and they rarely get in the way of your combos. Also, since you're generally combo-ing people vertically, you can and will eventually battle on top of the platforms, where it's easier to finish a stock with one of our combos.

I like Lylat a bit because of Bullet Climax shenanigans and I didn't even think about Up Smash covering all tech options on platforms. That's very nice indeed! However, I think the platform layout is overall worse for us than BF... Still a nice stage though, and probably better against projectile-heavy characters, as the tilting of the stage can screw with their projectiles, but not ours. Nice!

Duck Hunt I find situationally nice... If you can start a combo on top of the tree, you're golden. However, the ducks can break your combos all too easily. Still, it has walls, which is good for our recovery, so there's that. Probably not our best pick by a longshot, though.

I don't like FD much, nor Smashville which is basically FD with a platform in there sometimes. I feel platforms really enhance our movement and landing options from the air, so not having any of them (or a situational one in SV's case) is pretty bad. T&C has less prevalent platforms than BF, but they're also pretty high up in one of its forms, so it's a "win there, lose here" situation, which is still quite cool.

Oh, and if Delfino is allowed, that is nuts. The ceiling goes way too low in the transition, allowing for some hilarious kills if you're comboing them up there while the stage transforms. You can also very easily spike people in the water with Dair or Dsmash.

Megamang

Smash Lord
E ElMoro995 Practice shield dropping without the aerial, until you can hit the angle where you don't fastfall. Then use the c-stick. Of course, you can use A, but I find it a lot more difficult.

Note for projectile characters at lylat: megaman is a little bit of a different story at lylat. His uair covers the platforms like your u-smash, and will probably deal more damage. I'm serious. His juggles are deadly. And even damage is his advantage because he is really heavy. This isn't horrible or anything new, since most everyone can punish those on platforms above them harshly.

His side b, crash bomber, is usually a little sticky bomb that can stick to ledges when he recovers (or gets cheeky with edgeguarding...) and can also stick to you for a combo starter. At lylat, its a landmine! Since the stage slants, he can put them on the ground as traps. No huge deal, as they are Witch Timeable, though megaman shouldn't be close enough to you for it to be very effective, you can catch him offguard with this for sure.

Lastly, his u-tilt (his dragon punch, 17 damage and extremely strong) has a weird glitch/mechanic where if he lands on the slanted platform it cancels all his lag. Bayo in particular probably can Witch Twist him for doing this, so it won't be free pressure, but it gives a level of safety to a very strong move, so be ready.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
So after a couple brackets I think I came to a conclusion (Key Words: I think).

Battlefield, Dreamland, and Lylat are really her best stages. It adds a few more options than as if you were on Omega or Smashville. BUT. She is one of those characters where she can fit with any stage (Except Duck Hunt since it has a large size which doesn't fit Bayonetta well) I tested if it was a better idea to pick a stage that was bad against my opponent, and I did MUCH better than my other placings.

About the Cloud thing: If Cloud uses Climhazzard (Up B) under Battlefield, his arm will appear within Dsmash's hitbox for a few frames before he can grab the ledge.

Flamegeyser

Smash Journeyman

Battlefield, Dreamland, and Lylat are really her best stages. It adds a few more options than as if you were on Omega or Smashville. BUT. She is one of those characters where she can fit with any stage (Except Duck Hunt since it has a large size which doesn't fit Bayonetta well) I tested if it was a better idea to pick a stage that was bad against my opponent, and I did MUCH better than my other placings.

About the Cloud thing: If Cloud uses Climhazzard (Up B) under Battlefield, his arm will appear within Dsmash's hitbox for a few frames before he can grab the ledge.
I totally agree, although I won't pick BF against someone like Fox or Rosa, for obvious reasons. For them I'd go smashville or Lylat. Lylat's real good against Cloud, his recovery gets screwed sometimes, and our projectile is favored by the tilt. Sure he can uair shark, but it's not as deadly with all the platforms being the same height.

TheColorfulOrca

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys! I've created analyses for all tournament legal stages (for Wii U). I'd like to know if you guys agree or disagree with this information.

Stages:
Battlefield:

Notes:
+ Can SH aerials through lower platforms, as well as UTIlt through (second hit)
+ Platforms can extend combos
+ Good movement through and around platforms

+ Easier to avoid projectiles
+ Large blastzones
- Grounded moves less effective

Analysis: Good
Easily one of the better stages for Bayonetta. The shorter platforms are just the right height to SH an aerial (such as Nair or Bair), hit an opponent, and not land on the platform. The second hit of UTilt also reaches opponents atop the smaller platforms. In addition, the platforms can extend combos through tech chases, as well as preserving your DJ. The platforms allow for some very useful movement options, as you can WT below a platform, and land on top of it, instead of falling where your opponent is. Finally, the platforms provide a means to evade projectiles, and even to close in on the enemy. This is great against characters such as Mega Man and Toon Link, who have great zoning games.

BF also has decently big blast zones, which means you can survive longer. In addition, you can wall-jump off the side of the stage for extra vertical height. However, the same applies to the opponent, so be prepared to edge guard after they are sent flying off-stage.

The only bad thing about BF is that the platforms, combined with how much time the opponent should be in the air, make your grounded moves a bit less effective. In particular, DTilt and HSK see noticeably less usage.

Generally, you want to keep the opponent on or above the platforms. You can get them up there with UThrow or a combo, and pressure then with aerials, UTilt, and WT. If they are conditioned to airdodge, you can bait it with an empty hop, and punish hard with an aerial or WT.

Final Destination:
Notes:
+ Can utilize grounded moves well
+ Decently large blastzones
- No platforms
- Harder to deal with projectiles

Analysis: Decent
FD is a decent stage, but usually Bayonetta has better options. The large, flat space allows Bayonetta to use her important ground attacks to good effect. DTilt and HSK are great options, as the opponent no longer has platforms to escape to. The large blastzones also help Bayonetta to stay alive longer.

Unfortunately, the lack of platforms makes characters with projectiles much harder to deal with, especially since dABK isn't of much help now. Bayonetta's crouch is quite low, and can duck under several notable projectiles, such as Falco's lasers and Toon Link's fully charged arrow. However, this isn't nearly as useful as a platform is.

The absence of platforms also hinder's Bayonetta's ability to pressure an aerial opponent. While you still have UTilt and Uair, it is much easier for the opponent to land back on stage. Your movement options are also reduced, and moves such as WT become more unsafe to use OoS.

Omega Stages:
Notes:
+ Possibility of walls
- No platforms

Analysis: Pretty Good

Omega stages are quite similar to FD, with there only being one major difference: the possibility of walls. Picking an Omega stage that has walls greatly benefits Bayonetta's off-stage and recovery game. This lets you go deeper during edgeguards and removes the fear of not reaching the ledge.

Apart from that, it has the same benefits and drawbacks of FD. If you do choose to do an Omega stage, make sure it has walls!

Omega Stages with Walls:
Here is a list of all Omega stages that have walls that Bayonetta can wall jump and wall cling on.

• Wooly World
    • Yoshi's Island
    • Onett
    • Gamer
    • Garden of Hope
    • Wii Fit Studio
    • Duck Hunt
    • Wrecking Crew
    • Windy Hill Zone
    • Wily's Castle
    • Luigi's Mansion
    • Jungle Hijinxs
    • Kalos Pokemon League
    • Boxing Ring
    • [DLC] Hyrule Castle 64

Smashville:
Notes:
+ Large platform
+ Mix of ground and air attack usefulness
- Platform is moving
- No wall jump

SV is sort of in between FD and BF in terms of helpfulness. What's good about SV is that is has a very large platform, which you can easily apply pressure to. It also provides a nice blend between grounded moves and aerial moves, as both can play a role in the match.

The silver lining is that the platform moves, which makes it much more difficult to utilize as effectively. Since it extends beyond the stage, it is a great recovery tool for opponents, especially when recovering high. It also doesn't help much against heavy zoners, as it is generally too far away from you or the opponent to make a difference. While wall jumping is possible, there is a much smaller area to be touching to execute it when compared to stages like FD.

Town & City

Notes:
+ Platforms
+ Low ceiling
- Platforms are high

Similar to BF, T&C has multiple platforms that Bayonetta can use to her advantage. The low ceiling also allows Bayonetta to kill earlier off the top with moves such as Uair. The downside to this is that the platforms are placed decently high, so that moves like UTilt won't hit an opponent on the platform, leaving Uair and WT as your best options. This also means that it is quite easy for Bayonetta to die, as the high platforms combined with the low ceiling make it very dangerous for her to be there for long.

The gameplan on this stage is similar to that on BF; keep the opponent in the air. UAir combos nicely into all sorts of moves at low-mid percents, and only adds to its usefulness on this stage. T&C is overall a pretty good pick, especially against lighter characters.

Dreamland:

Notes: Good
+ Can SH aerials through lower platforms

+ Large blastzones
- Windbox

Analysis:
DL is quite similar to BF. The platform layout is the same, and the blastzones are similar. The platforms are slightly higher than those on Battlefield, which makes it easier to kill off the top. Unfortunately, UTilt doesn't reach an opponent standing on the lower platform. You can still SH aerials through the lower platforms, and they still help with combos and movement.

Just like BF, the presence of platforms makes your grounded moves less effective. In addition, Whispy Woods will occasionally blow wind at you, which can mess up your recovery if you aren't careful. However, you can use this to your advantage by punishing opponents who are pushed away from the ledge with, say, a DSmash.

Duck Hunt:

Notes:
+ Walls
+ Platforms

- Large stage
- Awkwardly spaced platforms

Analysis: Meh
As a CP stage, DH isn't generally a top pick. It does have its uses, however. It is one of the longest competitive stages, which makes surviving easier. However, this makes it difficult to apply pressure to the opponent, since they can just run away. It even has walls, which Bayonetta is able to utilize her wall cling on. The platforms, especially the shrub, are good for avoiding projectiles. Unfortunately, they can't really assist in combos, as a result of the awkward placement of the platforms.

Try not to end up on the tree, as you don't really have much to punish an opponent attacking from above. This stage is especially good for zoning characters due to its length, which can make approaching very difficult. You can afford to be a bit more ambitious while edgeguarding, as you can easily ABK back to the wall and wall cling. There are generally better CP stages for you, but DH isn't bad.

Lylat Cruise:

Notes:
+ Good platform layout
+ Tilting stage
+ Good edgeguarding
- Die earlier

As far as CP stages go, LC is one of the best. The platforms are nicely laid out, so SH aerials and UTilt will hit an opponent atop them. None of the platforms are too high either, which makes it harder for an opponent to escape platform pressure. The tilting stage, while generally harmful to other characters, can actually benefit Bayonetta. Her amazing recovery makes getting to the ledge pretty easy, even if the stage is tilting. It also makes BC more useful, as it either shoots parallel to the ground or right through a platform, which makes hitting an opponent with it much easier. LC is quite good for edgeguarding as well, as the tilting stage makes it even more difficult for an opponent to make it back to the stage.

The only notable downside to LC is that the
blast zones are on the small side. This causes Bayonetta to die earlier, which is never a good thing. Despite that, LC is a great CP stage overall and should generally be your first CP choice.

Castle Siege:

Notes:
+ Platforms (stages 1 and 2)
+ Wall (stage 1)
- Walk-offs (stage 2 and transitions)

There isn't really a particular reason for you to pick this stage as a CP stage, unless the opponent fares worse on it than us. I'll break this up into three sections, as each transformation provides different dynamics to the match.

Transformation 1: Good
Overall the best stage for Bayonetta. It has two platforms of similar sizes, which help Bayonetta quite a bit. The wall on the side also helps when off-stage. If this was the whole stage, then it would be pretty good. Unfortunately, it's not.

Transformation 2: Meh

Stage 2 is radically different from the other two transformations, for several reasons. It has a lot of platforms to maneuver around, but the ones being held up by the statues will go away if they are broken. The statues themselves provide a nice shield against projectiles, so try not to break then too quickly. It also has a walk-off, in addition to very small blastzones. Neither benefit Bayonetta in any way, except that she can kill opponents faster.

Transformation 3: Decent
Transformation 3 is basically FD with a lava background. The only notably interesting thing about this transformation is that lava eruptions will periodically strike the end of the stage, tilting it. However, it doesn't have the same impact as it does on LC, mainly because it lasts for so short of a time.

Delfino Plaza:

Notes:
+ Low Ceiling
+ Platforms (usually)
- Transformations
- Walk-offs

Nothing too helpful for Bayonetta is in this stage, except for a low ceiling (some of the time). DP is similar to CS, except with a central "area" (for lack of a better word) that it returns to after every transformation. The platform layout changes each time you return, but SH aerials are still good to use. Uir kills quite early here, so combos such as DTilt > Uair are great at high percents for getting the kill. The transformations themselves generally don't contain many helpful platforms, and some are walk-offs. They aren't very helpful overall, but at least they don't last a long time.

The best place to take a stock is when on the main "area", as the low ceiling benefits Bayonetta greatly. When on one of the many transformations, rack up as much damage as possible so that you can hopefully land a kill on the main "area". BA are a good way to put pressure on the opponent to approach, though the terrain may get in the way sometimes.

Note that this information does not include who to take and who not to take on each stage, so feedback on that is much appreciated.

If I were to make a list of her top 4 best stages, then it would probably be something like this:

- Battlefield/Dreamland
- Lylat Cruise
- Town and City
- Omega stages with walls

I strongly believe that Bayonetta benefits more from having platforms than not having platforms. However, having a wall to wall jump and wall cling on is very beneficial.

I agree with this. I definitely think that while there are stages that Bayonetta prefers, she can do pretty well on all stages, and doesn't really have any stages that shut her down. If you want to ban a stage, I would ban one where your opponent has more of an advantage than you do.

Hope this helps!

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Hey guys! I've created analyses for all tournament legal stages (for Wii U). I'd like to know if you guys agree or disagree with this information.

Stages:
Battlefield:

Notes:
+ Can SH aerials through lower platforms, as well as UTIlt through (second hit)

+ Large blastzones

Easily one of the better stages for Bayonetta. The shorter platforms are just the right height to SH an aerial (such as Nair or Bair), hit an opponent, and not land on the platform. The second hit of UTilt also reaches opponents atop the smaller platforms. In addition, the platforms can extend combos through tech chases, as well as preserving your DJ. The platforms allow for some very useful movement options, as you can WT below a platform, and land on top of it, instead of falling where your opponent is. Finally, the platforms provide a means to evade projectiles, and even to close in on the enemy. This is great against characters such as Mega Man and Toon Link, who have great zoning games.

BF also has decently big blast zones, which means you can survive longer. In addition, you can wall-jump off the side of the stage for extra vertical height. However, the same applies to the opponent, so be prepared to edge guard after they are sent flying off-stage.

The only bad thing about BF is that the platforms, combined with how much time the opponent should be in the air, make your grounded moves a bit less effective. In particular, DTilt and HSK see noticeably less usage.

Generally, you want to keep the opponent on or above the platforms. You can get them up there with UThrow or a combo, and pressure then with aerials, UTilt, and WT. If they are conditioned to airdodge, you can bait it with an empty hop, and punish hard with an aerial or WT.

Final Destination:
Notes:
- No platforms

FD is a decent stage, but usually Bayonetta has better options. The large, flat space allows Bayonetta to use her important ground attacks to good effect. DTilt and HSK are great options, as the opponent no longer has platforms to escape to. The large blastzones also help Bayonetta to stay alive longer.

Unfortunately, the lack of platforms makes characters with projectiles much harder to deal with, especially since dABK isn't of much help now. Bayonetta's crouch is quite low, and can duck under several notable projectiles, such as Falco's lasers and Toon Link's fully charged arrow. However, this isn't nearly as useful as a platform is.

The absence of platforms also hinder's Bayonetta's ability to pressure an aerial opponent. While you still have UTilt and Uair, it is much easier for the opponent to land back on stage. Your movement options are also reduced, and moves such as WT become more unsafe to use OoS.

Omega Stages:
Notes:
+ Possibility of walls
- No platforms

Omega stages are quite similar to FD, with there only being one major difference: the possibility of walls. Picking an Omega stage that has walls greatly benefits Bayonetta's off-stage and recovery game. This lets you go deeper during edgeguards and removes the fear of not reaching the ledge.

Apart from that, it has the same benefits and drawbacks of FD. If you do choose to do an Omega stage, make sure it has walls!

Omega Stages with Walls:
Here is a list of all Omega stages that have walls that Bayonetta can wall jump and wall cling on.

• Wooly World
    • Yoshi's Island
    • Onett
    • Gamer
    • Garden of Hope
    • Wii Fit Studio
    • Duck Hunt
    • Wrecking Crew
    • Windy Hill Zone
    • Wily's Castle
    • Luigi's Mansion
    • Jungle Hijinxs
    • Kalos Pokemon League
    • Boxing Ring
    • [DLC] Hyrule Castle 64

Smashville:
Notes:
+ Large platform
+ Mix of ground and air attack usefulness
- Platform is moving
- No wall jump

SV is sort of in between FD and BF in terms of helpfulness. What's good about SV is that is has a very large platform, which you can easily apply pressure to. It also provides a nice blend between grounded moves and aerial moves, as both can play a role in the match.

The silver lining is that the platform moves, which makes it much more difficult to utilize as effectively. Since it extends beyond the stage, it is a great recovery tool for opponents, especially when recovering high. It also doesn't help much against heavy zoners, as it is generally too far away from you or the opponent to make a difference. While wall jumping is possible, there is a much smaller area to be touching to execute it when compared to stages like FD.

Town & City

Notes:
+ Platforms
+ Low ceiling
- Platforms are high

Similar to BF, T&C has multiple platforms that Bayonetta can use to her advantage. The low ceiling also allows Bayonetta to kill earlier off the top with moves such as Uair. The downside to this is that the platforms are placed decently high, so that moves like UTilt won't hit an opponent on the platform, leaving Uair and WT as your best options. This also means that it is quite easy for Bayonetta to die, as the high platforms combined with the low ceiling make it very dangerous for her to be there for long.

The gameplan on this stage is similar to that on BF; keep the opponent in the air. UAir combos nicely into all sorts of moves at low-mid percents, and only adds to its usefulness on this stage. T&C is overall a pretty good pick, especially against lighter characters.

Dreamland:

Notes: Good
+ Can SH aerials through lower platforms

+ Large blastzones
- Windbox

Analysis:
DL is quite similar to BF. The platform layout is the same, and the blastzones are similar. The platforms are slightly higher than those on Battlefield, which makes it easier to kill off the top. Unfortunately, UTilt doesn't reach an opponent standing on the lower platform. You can still SH aerials through the lower platforms, and they still help with combos and movement.

Just like BF, the presence of platforms makes your grounded moves less effective. In addition, Whispy Woods will occasionally blow wind at you, which can mess up your recovery if you aren't careful. However, you can use this to your advantage by punishing opponents who are pushed away from the ledge with, say, a DSmash.

Duck Hunt:

Notes:
+ Walls
+ Platforms

- Large stage
- Awkwardly spaced platforms

As a CP stage, DH isn't generally a top pick. It does have its uses, however. It is one of the longest competitive stages, which makes surviving easier. However, this makes it difficult to apply pressure to the opponent, since they can just run away. It even has walls, which Bayonetta is able to utilize her wall cling on. The platforms, especially the shrub, are good for avoiding projectiles. Unfortunately, they can't really assist in combos, as a result of the awkward placement of the platforms.

Try not to end up on the tree, as you don't really have much to punish an opponent attacking from above. This stage is especially good for zoning characters due to its length, which can make approaching very difficult. You can afford to be a bit more ambitious while edgeguarding, as you can easily ABK back to the wall and wall cling. There are generally better CP stages for you, but DH isn't bad.

Lylat Cruise:

Notes:
+ Good platform layout
+ Tilting stage
+ Good edgeguarding
- Die earlier

As far as CP stages go, LC is one of the best. The platforms are nicely laid out, so SH aerials and UTilt will hit an opponent atop them. None of the platforms are too high either, which makes it harder for an opponent to escape platform pressure. The tilting stage, while generally harmful to other characters, can actually benefit Bayonetta. Her amazing recovery makes getting to the ledge pretty easy, even if the stage is tilting. It also makes BC more useful, as it either shoots parallel to the ground or right through a platform, which makes hitting an opponent with it much easier. LC is quite good for edgeguarding as well, as the tilting stage makes it even more difficult for an opponent to make it back to the stage.

The only notable downside to LC is that the
blast zones are on the small side. This causes Bayonetta to die earlier, which is never a good thing. Despite that, LC is a great CP stage overall and should generally be your first CP choice.

Castle Siege:

Notes:
+ Platforms (stages 1 and 2)
+ Wall (stage 1)
- Walk-offs (stage 2 and transitions)

There isn't really a particular reason for you to pick this stage as a CP stage, unless the opponent fares worse on it than us. I'll break this up into three sections, as each transformation provides different dynamics to the match.

Transformation 1: Good
Overall the best stage for Bayonetta. It has two platforms of similar sizes, which help Bayonetta quite a bit. The wall on the side also helps when off-stage. If this was the whole stage, then it would be pretty good. Unfortunately, it's not.

Transformation 2: Meh

Stage 2 is radically different from the other two transformations, for several reasons. It has a lot of platforms to maneuver around, but the ones being held up by the statues will go away if they are broken. The statues themselves provide a nice shield against projectiles, so try not to break then too quickly. It also has a walk-off, in addition to very small blastzones. Neither benefit Bayonetta in any way, except that she can kill opponents faster.

Transformation 3: Decent
Transformation 3 is basically FD with a lava background. The only notably interesting thing about this transformation is that lava eruptions will periodically strike the end of the stage, tilting it. However, it doesn't have the same impact as it does on LC, mainly because it lasts for so short of a time.

Delfino Plaza:

Notes:
+ Low Ceiling
+ Platforms (usually)
- Transformations
- Walk-offs

Nothing too helpful for Bayonetta is in this stage, except for a low ceiling (some of the time). DP is similar to CS, except with a central "area" (for lack of a better word) that it returns to after every transformation. The platform layout changes each time you return, but SH aerials are still good to use. Uir kills quite early here, so combos such as DTilt > Uair are great at high percents for getting the kill. The transformations themselves generally don't contain many helpful platforms, and some are walk-offs. They aren't very helpful overall, but at least they don't last a long time.

The best place to take a stock is when on the main "area", as the low ceiling benefits Bayonetta greatly. When on one of the many transformations, rack up as much damage as possible so that you can hopefully land a kill on the main "area". BA are a good way to put pressure on the opponent to approach, though the terrain may get in the way sometimes.

Note that this information does not include who to take and who not to take on each stage, so feedback on that is much appreciated.

If I were to make a list of her top 4 best stages, then it would probably be something like this:

- Battlefield/Dreamland
- Lylat Cruise
- Town and City
- Omega stages with walls

I strongly believe that Bayonetta benefits more from having platforms than not having platforms. However, having a wall to wall jump and wall cling on is very beneficial.

I agree with this. I definitely think that while there are stages that Bayonetta prefers, she can do pretty well on all stages, and doesn't really have any stages that shut her down. If you want to ban a stage, I would ban one where your opponent has more of an advantage than you do.

Hope this helps!
Holy crap dude. How long did it take for you to make this? Anyway, I think it'd be smart if you posted that in the Metagame Discussion also, and maybe expand on it an create an actual guide, because that was very informative!
tumblr_nfb17j0Lmv1ssf6j4o1_1280.jpg

TheColorfulOrca

Smash Apprentice
Holy crap dude. How long did it take for you to make this? Anyway, I think it'd be smart if you posted that in the Metagame Discussion also, and maybe expand on it an create an actual guide, because that was very informative!
Well, you see, that is part of my guide. Here is a link to it, if you want to check it out. I think you actually reviewed it once...

But anyways, I'm glad you found it so helpful! I will definitely post it there, as I'm sure they will appreciate the information.

Top Bottom