• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bayonetta combos/guide

Koraxa

Smash Rookie
As anyone here should know, Bayonetta has been quite nerfed in Ultimate. But for those of you like me, a committed Bayonetta main or others looking to pick up the character, I'm happy to tell you shes decently balanced this time around.

Through out this thread I'll go over her tech, low percent combos, high percent/kill combos, Witch time, and her best kill options. I'm going to be a detailed as possible so each subsection will be it's own post.

And as a disclaimer I dont want any sort of negativity towards the character, I understand if she wasnt a favorite because of her past appearance, but theres no reason to rude to people who enjoy her. Also if you find anything I say is wrong, please keep it constructive.

Bayonetta Tech

All 3 techs were present in smash 4, so you might already know how to do them

The first is f-tilt 1 into grab. Its quite easy to preform you simply do the first hit of forward tilt and then after maybe half a second follow up with a dash grab. You can also do a instant dash attack but a grab is worth more with especially at higher percents.

The second is very commonly used in smash 4 can be pretty good when the opponent is at too high percent for other set ups. This tech is short hop witch-twist. To preform this technique, you have to like the name says short hop and almost immediately go into witch twist.

By doing this you can combo Wtw into your other aerials, most notably nair and dair. This works because you're only hitting the first hitbox which has fixed knockback. It can be a bit tricky as it's easy to miss with the Wtw, if you have the trajectory guide on itll be easy to know when you do it right as there will only be one line shown.

The last is pretty easy especially with the start up nerf Wtw got. Jump cancel witchtwist let's you combo 2 Wtws together, you have to do the input rather quickly. With default controls I find it easiest to do one Wtw and then slid my thumb from jump to B while obviously holding up. It can take some practice but you'll get it.

Low percent combos

Here are just some simple strings

Dtilt>Fair string
Solid, works a pretty much any percent

Dabk>Nair
Nice to see downward afterburner is finally useful. You do have to fast fall nair

Dabk>Fair string
Works at lower-mid percents

Wtw>Wtw>fair string
Good damage, works till almost 50%

Now for some more complex strings, these only work from around 0%-15% and can do almost 50%

Heelslide+kick>Utilt>Wtw>Wtw>fair string

Dtilt>Abk>Wtw>Abk>Wtw>Fair string
You have to jump cancel the second afterburner, and its sometimes it's hard to tell which way to afterburner but it should always be inward.

There are also some grab set-ups

Nair>Grab
You have to fast fall nair, this also worked in smash 4.

Dtilt>Ftilt1>Grab
Only works at low percents

Dtilt>Utilt>Grab
This literally only works on incineroar, it sends him behind you so you have to do a quick turn standing grab. But you can go into Dthrow and Dtilt to your specials. Not a true combo after the grab but it can rack up 70%

High percent/ kill combos

The next two combos can kill off the top just like in smash 4, what a throwback right!?
Though the catch with them, at least in my experience, is that they cost you a stock as well. Obviously quite committal, but it can definitely be worth it on a final stock.
The percent is always character dependent, but generally should start killing around 60%-80%

Dabk>Wtw>Abk>Wtw>Nair/Fair string

Like before you have to jump cancel the second Abk, and this only works near the edge of the stage, the very edge for battlefield.

Dtilt>Wtw>Abk>Wtw>Abk>Nair/Uair/Fair

Okay so jump canceling Abk it's kinda always gonna be a thing, makes the 2nd Wtw easiest. Though in this case you want to JC the first Abk. Same Spacing as before, near the edge. Now for the finisher, I put all those because they all can work. Nair is the most inconsistent, Uair and fair are more reliable but with fair you cant keep holding forward or else you might go past the opponent into the blast zone.

Best kill options

Haha... kill options. dont expect much from here.

Forward throw
Fthrow returns as a kill throw for Bayo and is arguably one of her best kill options. It doesn't kill you like her combos, even if it doesn't kill, you still gain advantage. It also has a set up with Ftilt 1. Try your best to keep it fresh(ie. Not use it a whole bunch)
It unfortunately still doesn't kill till 130%-150%+ with most characters

Bair
Back air is more spamable, good for when your both at high percents and are doing a little cat and mouse. Nice for poking shields.

Bullet climax
Works really well when they're recovering high. Unlike in smash 4 they cant be held forever or shield canceled whenever. You've got a few seconds after it's been fully charged to either let go or shield cancel before they fire off automatically.

Witch time

Oh gosh... where do I begin with witch time. For one, This is by far one of Bayonetta most nerfed moves. From what ive heard and seen first hand, a fresh witch time gets 1.5 seconds. And with the increased end lag its hardly enough to get a smash attack or even set it up so it actually lands properly. If anything needs a buff, it's this move.

Now because the amount you get is so little, this definitely not a move to spam. I haven't had alot of experience with it in matches but most often I'm unable to do anything useful with it. If you feel confident enough and want to use a smash attack, Dtilt to Fsmash or Usmash is your best bet. You Dtilt to ensure the smash attack doesn't clash with any higher priority hit boxes.

An option I have yet to test is short hop Dair, which while typing this I'm realizing is probably a good kill option too but really only on high percents, can also be very punishable if you spam too much.

Please feel free to add anything else you guys discover. Some other good things to cover might be her Nuetral game, how to a approach(or not), etc.

Found this really good video showing some of the stuff here and more! So definitely check it out. https://youtu.be/pOzpo2pcYxQ

C3ntra

Smash Rookie
I'm an aspiring Bayonetta main for ultimate, and I just want to thank you for saying all of this! Your work is appreciated <3

I can't contribute much yet, but a nice little combo at low percents is D-Tilt, F-Tilt combo, then F-air combo if they DI away from you or Nair/Uair if they DI towards you.

Update: AT 50% on mid-weight characters, Wtw > ABK > Wtw > Dair is pretty good. I did it at the middle of final destination and it can at least get them to ledge. If performed close to a ledge, replace Dair with a Fair String, and if at the edge but heading to center, I prefer Wtw > ABK >Wtw > ABK > Uair

Last edited:

ZanderC1234

Smash Rookie
I was a bayo main in smash 4 and still am now in smash 5 because I love her games and her character, and I’m so glad that people still really like her. Personally my favourite combo is up-grab>abk>wtw>abk>wtw>F-air string. It works normally on 60-80%’s and will probably kill. However it doesn’t always pan out so it’s best to save it for the heavyweights who can’t do anything about it. Any more combos would be greatly appreciated- and I also hope her lag after aerials especially n-air gets changed

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Hi, this is a reminder that the Site Rules mention that we need to avoid posting multiple times in a row in the same thread, all in order to help the board look clean and not overly saturated (as well as other benefits).
I took the liberty to merge your posts and format them a bit to not make it look too cluttered.

As for tips:
-Just like in Smash for Wii U, Fair is a good pressure tool since it bounces on shields, gives a lot of movement options and keeps you tricky.
-You can Fastfall Fair 2 for different combos, though not all of them are guaranteed.
-Dthrow can be good as a combo starter at low %s.
-Utilt>Bair is a kill setup. DI dependant, but it's there.
-Fair1-2-3>Attack Cancelled Bair is a neat 28% combo that stops working at ~50, maybe later for heavier characters, with the benefit of not using specials so you don't get special lag, and sending them offstage to commence edgeguarding.
-Use Fair as a combo finisher. It can help ending stocks.
-Fair is a kill option.
-Fair is probably her best move now, but it doesn't have the best range.
-Offstage Witch Twist is pretty good in this game. Use it wisely tho.

I think that's all I have for now.
:196:

Celeb

Smash Rookie
So ive been trying to play bayo again, but i cant for the life of me get a fair string out of up B. How Do people Do that?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
It's much easier when it's after the second Witch Twist (virtually any move will connect after it).

Out of WT1 there is no 100% guaranteed combo, even ABK has a (low) chance to miss. You'd need to read their DI, and even then it's not certain the next move will hit.

Fairo20

Smash Rookie
I was going though Bayo combos earlier today, and I was trying to figure out how to reliably kill, especially from the middle of the stage. After like an hour of labbing, I discovered this:

SH Immediate ABK -> WT -> ABK -> WT -> Fair

This kills from the center of FD on Mario off the top(!) between ~138%-mid-150% (didn't get to fully test high end). In addition, by utilizing the SH Immediate ABK (SHIABK), you can pull of this at between low 100%-low 120%:

SHIABK -> WT -> ABK -> WT -> Nair, Fair, Uair, Bair depending on DI. This should get you into the range of the first combo, even if you don't get the last hit. This still works even with high CPU shuffling and no stale moves and could kill earlier on a smaller stage. Also, this puts the opponent in a situation where they can't just stay in center stage while shielding and not die (Fthrow won't kill from center stage till much later), forcing them into a situation where they can die wherever, whenever.

Koraxa

Smash Rookie
Hi, this is a reminder that the Site Rules mention that we need to avoid posting multiple times in a row in the same thread, all in order to help the board look clean and not overly saturated (as well as other benefits).
I took the liberty to merge your posts and format them a bit to not make it look too cluttered.
Sorry about the formatting. I'vr only got my phone and couldn't figure out a way to make it look neater, thanks for the help.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
How to approach as Bayonetta?

I can get a random side-b from time to time, and occasionally a Nair, but I don't feel like there are many options.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Very useful thread. Aside from Robin, Bayonetta is the only character whom feels natural to me. That said, I usually switch to her whenever I get burned out playing as Robin. Like Robin, Bayo's not designed to be used aggressively--which I like. Having playing Bayonetta 1&2 before Smash 4, I can say that getting good at her games is a great way to get good with her in Smash.

Will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread.

Bayo13

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the information!
Fresh Smash player here, 0 experience pre-ultimate. Only about 20 hours in, 10 of which on bayo.

I have a few questions about her basic tech
Okay so jump canceling Abk it's kinda always gonna be a thing, makes the 2nd Wtw easiest. Though in this case you want to JC the first Abk. Same Spacing as before, near the edge. Now for the finisher, I put all those because they all can work. Nair is the most inconsistent, Uair and fair are more reliable but with fair you cant keep holding forward or else you might go past the opponent into the blast zone.[/spoiler]
Is this the same thing as Jump canceling into 2nd Wtw? where you Wtw, hit jump then quickly hit Wtw before the butterfly wings come out, then you get to use your jump again later? But the same except instead of the first Wtw it's a Dabk?

-Fair1-2-3>Attack Cancelled Bair is a neat 28% combo that stops working at ~50, maybe later for heavier characters, with the benefit of not using specials so you don't get special lag, and sending them offstage to commence edgeguarding.
What is attack cancel?

One other thing I noticed in a lot of the videos is some how bayos able to recover after using Dair off stage. How is that possible? I thought Dair takes you all the way down.

Also does anyone have any Bayo tips and tricks that you think are not very obvious? Every post I read I feel like I'm learning something new.

Last edited:

C3ntra

Smash Rookie
How to approach as Bayonetta?

I can get a random side-b from time to time, and occasionally a Nair, but I don't feel like there are many options.
Yeah, Bayonetta does lack approach options, but there are still a few. There is always dash > shield for a bait, and DABK is actually pretty good if you use it sparingly. The bounce also make's it safe on shield. If you're willing to be a little more risky, then dash attack is good to close the gap. I do think that Heel Slide is one of her best though, since Bayonetta often approaches campy characters, and Heel Slide can let her get under their projectiles and start a combo.I mean, there is a reason that characters like snake just hard counter her. She has too much trouble reliably approaching to do anything against someone like him.

DSHUDSHU

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the information!
Fresh Smash player here, 0 experience pre-ultimate. Only about 20 hours in, 10 of which on bayo.

I have a few questions about her basic tech

Is this the same thing as Jump canceling into 2nd Wtw? where you Wtw, hit jump then quickly hit Wtw before the butterfly wings come out, then you get to use your jump again later? But the same except instead of the first Wtw it's a Dabk?

What is attack cancel?

One other thing I noticed in a lot of the videos is some how bayos able to recover after using Dair off stage. How is that possible? I thought Dair takes you all the way down.

Also does anyone have any Bayo tips and tricks that you think are not very obvious? Every post I read I feel like I'm learning something new.

Jump cancelling Abk is the same as jump cancelling Wtw.
Also dair can be cancelled at any time with a jump or Wtw(probably any move i just haven't tested).

Dr3amSm4sher

Smash Cadet
Jump cancelling Abk is the same as jump cancelling Wtw.
Also dair can be cancelled at any time with a jump or Wtw(probably any move i just haven't tested).
No, jump cancelling abk is only good for letting you use WT2 when they at too low % for ABK to send them high enough. Also it consumes your DJ so don't go to crazy with it or you might die. It's a very similar input but with much more risk.

Also dair has even more endlag than smash 4 before you can move offstage or landing.

Dr3amSm4sher

Smash Cadet
Since bayo doesn't have the upwards uair anymore she can't steal stocks at absurd %s anymore with just any random WT into triple jump uair. Now she has to get you to 70-80% before you just ****ing explode (pardon the language but have you seen her damage?)

The reason im not saying 120/130% is because you can make your combos just start higher.... she kills off the top...

At about 80% she has a couple B&Bs that can kill. The dream starter is dABK. (This string kills the earliest. Like 65% before the hit on mid weights) Vs grounded opponents it hits like prepatch bayo and some nice combos can happen. Also it's really safe to land with still so don't be afraid to just throw it out sometimes.

dABK, WT, ABK, Dj WT, Fair 123 (btw try not to use djABK to make these easier. Your goal is height, not ease)

Another good starter is utilt however it's hard to convert from the angle it sends you at. And utilt is prone to just not working However the combo goes.
Utilt, FH DJWT, ABK, DJWT, ABK, (hold back slightly during this abk so you don't overshoot them with the ender) Fair 123

this kills off the side pretty well. Try to keep your jump or this is a 1 way trip.

And the most consistent starter is dtilt

Dtilt, FH ABK, WT (sometimes you have to DJWT here if you did the ABK to low), ABK, DJWT, Fair 123

But this also kills the latest because the dtilt sends you the lowest of the 3

Last edited:

Dr3amSm4sher

Smash Cadet
Your approach options as bayo include landing uair, landing nair....kinda, running utilt/dtilt, run up shield up b oos, (WT IS FRAME 6 BTW) sh ABK to call out jumps, and fh dABK to catch people dashing, and heel slide to whiff punish (its not that good of an approach anymore. Stop spamming it.) It can low profile some projectiles though. So that is nice. However vs shield almost anything else is safer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom