• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Battling For Glory tatics

Victory.IsMyDestinySSB4

Smash Journeyman
Everyone hates the for glory Ness, or Link, or God-forbid Little Mac. I'm here to tell you some ways to battle these stereotypes to get you guys over the hill, whether it be characters or strategies.

1. Characters that are common
:4cloud:: Rarely approach. You can even find that top players avoid Cloud as much as humanly possible. He has crazy OOS options, kill moves, and moves with little startup lag. If he charges limit, throw out a disjointed, well spaced attack, or throw out some projectiles and you should be fine.
:4sonic:: Don't be afraid to shield. For glory sonics like to combo side B into nuetral B a lot of the time. In addition, these players will be extremely aggressive, and never let up. Generally, these players will use grabbing sparingly, so you can punish OOS.
:4ganondorf:: No laggy moves. Ganon thrives on punishing, most specifically with tools like his side B, down tilt, and Fsmash for landing lag. The trick to beating Ganon is to out-speed him, as well as out-space him. Try to only get the guaranteed combos.
:4littlemac:: Very similar story to Cloud. Generally, FG Little Macs will play aggressively, which is not a good idea. Bait- and punish is the best strategy against these guys. As a final note, it is a common "tactic" for them to dash attack out of the gate. You can get a very stylish 0-to-death in if you get all the timing right.

2. Strategies that are common. Now, the playstyle is generally very different, but if you run into one of these strategies, counter them like so.
:4corrinf:: Nuetral B and Side B. Side B is safe on shield. Get over it. If you see a side B coming after you, run away, but not for too far. You can punish on landing, and get rid of them. However, if you do this a while, they will go nuetral B. It gives you sheild pressure, so try to spot-dodge it. Run up to corrin, but not too close. Once the claw frames end, punish.
:4kirby:: Up B on the ground and down- B in the air. Sheild up B and roll away from down-B.
:4greninja:: shadow sneak. Punish OOS.
:4ness:: The grand finale, PK fire. You can SDI out of it, which is my suggested option. You can also roll toward Ness, and follow up with a grab, due to the endlag.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
There have been heavy debates on how safe on shield Corrin's Pin really is.
Also, "not approaching" Cloud gives him free limit. Free limit = free kill moves and way better mobility.

Pillowpet

Smash Apprentice
What to do against :4dk: that do nothing but ding dong you until you have no more dongs to be dinged by them???

Richard & Blaziken

Smash Cadet
NNID
Richard_Blaziken
3DS FC
1547-5283-8177
Any FG Greninja spamming Shadow Sneak hasn't played the character very much at all, or is just coming back from Smash after only playing vanilla.

I can only speak from the perspective of a dedicated Greninja FG player, but here's what I've noticed after about 20,000 matches, which I feel applies to most characters.

Be patient, but know when to use aggressive options. That 5 minute timer is the bane of your existence if you play campy, because playing catchup in a 5-minute 2-stock game is very difficult, especially if you're behind against a Villager.

Know all of your attacks very well. Tilts, Aerials, Smashes, Specials. Learn every single one of them. I find that many FG players will stick to a few options they know, not even realizing the character has other options. You'll see this a lot in low-level Link players the most, but it's applicable across the board.

Mix up your options. Even in a single 5-minute game the opponent will likely be adapting to your options. If you have a 50/50 throw combo, mix up your follow-up if the opponent begins reacting to it.

Know all the ways your character can recover. Practice wall-jumping, wall-clinging (if applicable), multi-direction recovery angles (if applicable), and see what works. Having a linear recovery is one of the worst things you can have in this game, but if you do have one, learn different times that you can use your recovery to mix it up (going high or low).

Learn which of your moves can true-combo, which are mix-ups, which are 50/50's, which only link with poor/bad/no DI, and which don't link at all. You might be surprised by some of your options that aren't guaranteed but can work situationally if the opponent isn't prepared for it or DI's the wrong way.

Play a lot of characters. The best way to learn is by playing the entire cast a lot, so don't worry about that win rate, just play to learn and have fun.

Top Bottom